Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭batman75

Based on what I'm reading online and seeing on TV reports if Tubridy sets foot inside Montrose he'll be lynched. According to Phillip Nolan Tubridy's salary jumped from 200k to 533k in the space of two years between 2006-08. Absolutely ridiculous. Since 2008 we can assume that Tubridy 'earned' somewhere around 7.5m from the public purse. That my friends is how much RTE have shelled out for mediocrity for one presenter. No wonder their in financial doo doo.

I would reckon if a presenter like Tubridy between radio and TV puts in 12 hours presenting their is likely to be a similar time punched in in background work. So your looking at 24 hours per week.

How in all good conscience did he take the side money when his colleagues were on pay cuts and earning less money to begin with. You would have to be bereft of a conscience to do that. Not just for one year but six?

How in the years of covid when he couldn't make 'appearances' for anybody outside of his presenting did he in all good conscience trouser the extra money?

How when he was telling us we are all in it together during covid could he say that as he knowingly misled the public about a reduction in his wages?

How could he look his colleagues in the eye, colleagues without whom he couldn't present his programs, knowing he hadn't taken a drop in wages?

How, having been rumbled, did he release that initial statement absolving himself of any blame?

How could someone so lacking in self awareness really believe they could truly empathise with another human being they were interviewing?

How has he not offered to return the 345k to the public coffers and humbly apologised to the Irish people for his shameless behaviour?

If you haven't your good name you have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Give it a few years til she pulls an Angela Kerins on it.

Maybe it's a good thing she is refusing to appear before the PAC actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭eggy81

Wouldn’t you have done that anyway even without all this. Absolute bell whiff of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes private plan. Very efficient way to get paid. She is 56 now so for last 6 years she could have paid in 30% of her wages as well or nearly another 70k/year. On Irish tax rates you be inclined to do that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

Curiously now the RTE Player is now listed on the Sky apps for customers to access. First on the list and the full PC version too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

Can a contractor bring an unfair dismissal case? Breach of contract maybe, but unfair dismissal? Would seem very unfair to the licence fee payer.

If he wanted to benefit from employee rights then surely he should have been on employee wage rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The pay is still bonkers for the top earners but yeah...they used to be even more insane.

Marian Finucane was on 360k for her weekend shows....talk about easy money!

They need to get rid of a lot of the dead wood imo....Joe Duffy would be a great start he barely pays attention on his radio show anymore and his tv output is dreck.

Plus NK management having a stranglehold on the "talent" needs to end as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Doc07

Not a chance. Public or private, in my living memory and in the history of any recent scandals including public and private architects of the crash and bailouts etc since the 80s, I’ve never heard of anyone’s pension ever being touched ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I mind your kids while you go out to dinner. You cut my grass, water my plants when away. But seemingly RTÉ exchanges advertising time, gives it away free in lieu of a commercial company paying €100000+ to a third party who is not an employee of RTÉ. Stinks to the ordinary taxpayer I would think. Let’s hear a lot more about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

They're really telling us what they think of Tubridy with this image:

Live: 'No illegality' in Tubridy payments - Interim Deputy DG (rte.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

And all done with the most smug, devious and untrustworthy picture of him you could possibly think of, all to rattle and frustrate the general populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You’re living on a different planet if you believe that.

He is a part to this, directly in person or via his agent acting on his behalf.

Also, he’s a contractor. He doesn’t by any means have the same rights as an employee.

RTÉ’s systems being torn to shreds on Prime Time now.

Noel Kenny pushed for the underwriting of the payments.

RTE also funded Renault events!!!

Ffs. This is growing and growing.

She did get pension payments. And they’re untouchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tubridy or NK billed 75000 under consultancy services.

The services he was contracted to provide look promotional not consultancy based to me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On Prime Time now they are saying RTÉ were bankrolling the costs of the Renault shindigs Tubs was attending, FFS.

It's time for a synchronised burning of TV licenses in the country, perhaps at 9.30pm on Friday.

He knew. And that’s going to be enough to end his time in RTÉ.

RTE... invoices look like a deliberate attempt to conceal. Consultancy fees a ploy and smokescreen.

Grant Thornton description does not reflect the actual service.

No evidence of consultancy services.

This goes beyond RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Did he not breach his own contract by stepping down from The Late Late Show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I saw 39 million in payments to 3rd parties in the 2021 FS's .

39 million unexplained spend, the total overheads were around 330 mill.

Over 10% unexplained spend in the 2021 accounts.

RTÉ 2021 Annual Report - Intreoir (rte.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I see that Ray Darcy is the only “big name” who hasn’t came out with clarification on his wages. Ok , they didn’t have to do it but the rest of them in fairness have been transparent and cleared up any ambiguity and killed any talk they were on similar deals to Tubridy

The former head of broadcasting compliance in RTÉ saying he’s never heard or “Exit Fees” in his time in RTE, Guess who has and had one?

Tubs.

guess who negotiated it? Noel Kelly.

RTE are on the hook for this 75000 under the counter payments up to 2025!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

the bould tubs is shagged

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Zero chance of Tubridy coming back. And there's more to come out.

I guess he's negotiating his handshake payment to leave quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I suspect the RTE Board knew that this was going to be a big story but I wonder if they realised it was going to become such a huge, huge story as their preparation for the public fallout seems to be very slow off the mark.

Their report this evening lays the blame firmly - and solely - with Dee Forbes. However, one thing that does seem to have been prepared for in advance is to put Dee Forbes out of anyone's reach. In the last week she has been on holidays (never to return), at the very end of her contract, suspended and then had her resignation accepted. Any one of those situations would probably have ensured she wouldn't need to appear at a Dail Committee but the four together certainly bulletproofs it.

For Ryan Tubridy I really can't see how he gets back from this. The Late Late Show is relaunching with the new host so RTE doesn't need him there anymore and so many RTE Radio presenters are off all summer anyway, it's hard to see how that can't manage him out of his radio programme and put someone new in.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

The ironic thing is l bet Tubridy wouldn’t be seen dead driving a Renault😂

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement