Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boot up from USB with Asus mother board

Options
  • 26-06-2023 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok work gave me a USB that I need to boot up from but for the life of me I cannot get it. I go into Bios Screen and then select the Boot option priorities and choose the IGEL UD pocket as option 1. Then When I go to save (f10) it just says You have not made any changes to the BIOS settings? ITs an Asus Motherboard and googled few videos but still no joy

Any ideas as to what I need to change ? When using it then for personal use will change it back to Option 1 Windows boot manager or just remove the USB key. Dont want to drag the Desktop into work for them to sort it out

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, basically that's it, you've done the right thing. Unless there's something weird like a BIOS bug, it should be working.

As an alternative, most Asus boards tend to have a prompt of F8 for manual boot override during POST. Might be slightly more convenient than going into the BIOS every time to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

so when I turn on pc press f8?

Any reason why it won't save when I press f10

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Honestly, no it should save. Even if the battery was spent it shouldn't claim there's nothing changed.

You may have the boot logo turned on, if you turn that off it'll show the POST details, and you'll see the F8 prompt.

So on this screen turn off Boot logo and then reboot and I should get the post details? if this does not work then I can change it back to auto so boots up normally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Can you make and save any other setting with f10 ?

Can you clarify - your first image show "boot option #1 = Win Boot Mgr". Is this where you select your USB device from drop list( you should if you desire to boot to it first) ?

As said by Spear, f8 ( other, refer to board manual ) on startup should give you list of boot options to choose from as override

"boot from usb" could be disabled under some other menu/sub menu

• Advertisement

Yes, that's the option. It's essentially just an aesthetic thing, and doesn't change your machines behaviour otherwise.

Cheers managed to turn off the boot logo and then restarted it and pressed f8 and it gave me the options and could select usb. Rebooted and it kicked into work profile. Then I turned off pc and removed USB and boots into personal profile

Only issue is that I cannot switch between work and personal profile when logged into work profile .So if during the day I want to check personal mails, internet banking or whatever I have to turn on Laptop

Take it no way around this dual boot so that I can flick between the work and home profile?

From what I've read on the Igel UD pocket series, it's essentially a remote/thin client OS. Essentially a cheap way to keep the remote worker environment segregated from their personal stuff and associated risks, for when the employer won't provide a proper employee laptop. The result is you can't easily flip between the two environments, there's only a full reboot and booting your own OS installation. I'd imagine it's locked down so you can't mount other storage too.

Odd that your PC is happy to acknowledge and save the boot logo change, but not the boot order change.

Well.... providing allowed by your work cotract/IT

If your computer able to run VM in Hyper-V( other ) you could boot VM from USB drive.

Performance would depend on your computer and USB( course you could copy USB content, if not restricted, to SSD drive to boost performance here )

I use VM's for multitude of purposes, multiboot is one of them

Edit: You better check with work/it if permitted, just to be on the safe side of your contract

A VM is an interesting possibility. I doubt these are locked to the home machine in anyway, e.g. MAC address or something similar.

But given this is employment related, I'd second the suggestion of checking with work first.

• Advertisement

Cheers to login from home I would log in via website and goes through citrix etc.That was perfect as could flick between work and home profile.However if working of a personal Laptop / Desktop they supplied us with the Igel and we have to boot from that going forward

Just a pain cannot flick between the 2 in downtime/lunch etc bad enough having 2 screens for work now have to turn on laptop or tablet for home use etc. Have TV in home office(above pc monitor) so might see if I can connect laptop to that wireless and see if I can connect second bluetooth keyboard so can close laptop and use tv screen

But that sounds a bit complicated and maybe for another discussion

Not in position now to give tutorial how to load VM , but from Mon... its quite simple. Post you PC specs, Win OS

Think I got most of the personal stuff removed

OS Name:          Microsoft Windows 10 Home

OS Version:        10.0.19045 N/A Build 19045

OS Manufacturer:      Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration:     Standalone Workstation

OS Build Type:       Multiprocessor Free

Original Install Date:   04/12/2020, 19:17:41

System Boot Time:     27/06/2023, 21:02:48

System Manufacturer:    System manufacturer

System Model:       System Product Name

System Type:        x64-based PC

Processor(s):       1 Processor(s) Installed.

[01]: AMD64 Family 23 Model 24 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~3700 Mhz

BIOS Version:       American Megatrends Inc. 5603, 28/07/2020

Windows Directory:     C:\Windows

System Directory:     C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device:        \Device\HarddiskVolume1

System Locale:       en-gb;English (United Kingdom)

Input Locale:       en-ie;English (Ireland)

Time Zone:         (UTC+00:00) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

Total Physical Memory:   14,267 MB

Available Physical Memory: 7,916 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size: 16,443 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 8,634 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use:  7,809 MB

Page File Location(s):   C:\pagefile.sys

Domain:          WORKGROUP

Hotfix(s):         32 Hotfix(s) Installed.

[01]: KB5027122

[02]: KB4537759

[03]: KB4557968

[04]: KB4562830

[05]: KB4577586

[06]: KB4580325

[07]: KB4586864

[08]: KB4589212

[09]: KB4593175

[10]: KB4598481

[11]: KB5000736

[12]: KB5003791

[13]: KB5012170

[14]: KB5015684

[15]: KB5027293

[16]: KB5006753

[17]: KB5007273

[18]: KB5011352

[19]: KB5011651

[20]: KB5012677

[21]: KB5014032

[22]: KB5014035

[23]: KB5014671

[24]: KB5015895

[25]: KB5016705

[26]: KB5018506

[27]: KB5020372

[28]: KB5022924

[29]: KB5023794

[30]: KB5025315

[31]: KB5026879

[32]: KB5005699

Network Card(s):      6 NIC(s) Installed.

[01]: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller

Connection Name: Ethernet 4

DHCP Enabled:  Yes

[02]: Wintunshark Userspace Tunnel

Connection Name: wintunshark0

[03]: TAP-Windows Adapter V9

Connection Name: Ethernet 3

[04]: TAP-Surfshark Windows Adapter V9

Connection Name: Ethernet 2

[05]: Realtek 8812AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC

Connection Name: WiFi 2

[06]: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Connection Name: Bluetooth Network Connection 2

Hyper-V Requirements:   VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes

Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: No

Second Level Address Translation: Yes

Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

• Haven’t been at my ASUS predator in ages, I killed Windows and operated it from Linux stick.. cavy quite recall now but if memory serves right it was F8 to get it to boot from my Kali stick.

Win10 HOME - Hyper-V is not available, officially anyway. Hardware seam to support all that required.

This to be enabled in BIOS

For start, try this https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/29175/installation-of-hyper-v-on-windows-10-home , i have not tested(do not have or use "home") but should get you sorted with Hyper-V

Let me know once/when Hyper-V is ON

Ok if I do this will it mess up my PC in any way as need it to work? Maybe easier for me to use Tablet, phone or laptop for personal stuff during working day?

Of course, you do this on your own risk. If resource critical(need PC for work) and you not comfortable - don't

I have now tested this script* on virtual machine, as i said - do not have home edition on my computers

before anything, go to your Control Panel>>Programs>>Turn Windows features on or off - Hyper-V is not even an option there.

* Now, if your read that article, you noticed that originally posted script had typo. After correction on line #3 it should read:

pushd "%~dp0"
    dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\*Hyper-V*.mum >hv.txt
    for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . hv.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"
    del hv.txt
    Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V -All /LimitAccess /ALL
    pause

After script completed and computer restarted...

Thanks maybe one to consider for the future but as I use it for work will leave it for the time been and just use personal laptop or change jobs 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

In relation to the boot from USB, legacy booting/UEFI and secure boot options might affect this

I thought this indicate UEFI is ON and USB recognized as bootable, OP is able to boot into it.

With secure boot ON ,i think, legacy mode USB wouldn't even show up

• Advertisement
Advertisement