Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tams3 Farm Safety Capital Investment Scheme

• 25-06-2023 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi folks

I’m based in Meath and am deciding on using this scheme to improve my farm yard

would you know of engineering companies recommended that I could contact to discuss this scheme for Tams3 and to design and install a safe farming holding area and crush for cattle etc

any recommended companies would be much appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

You’ve a pick of them. Condon in cullen, Gibneys in oldcastle to name a few.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bosteel in Galway is another one, not cheap but quality seems to be good.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

+1 for condons. Did a new handling yard in 2020. Tams made it cheap, but ended up nearly having to do all the work myself, it was as COVID was kicking off and even before that, it was hard to get some to stand it.

Take time to plan it. Have a good look at Temple Grandins on cattle flow. Talk to the your vets, they will know good handling and what works, even show them the plans when on paper. it's in there interest aswell. Last herd test was done in under 2 hours with just myself and the vet. That was for over 180 head of cattle and had a coffee break

Can you make use of existing sheds for penning. This is handy for herd tests, dosing in winter.

Don't forget to to see can you build in a safe loading area. All stock have to leave on a ramp some time

Drafting, can you spilt stock easily. Could be a gate at the exit of the crush

Weighing. Build it in. So many schemes now have payment linked to weighting

Safe work area, where you are not mixing with stock. Even raising this 6 inches off the floor of the crush can make a difference, you are over the stock and dominate them. Also keeps the work area clean

Lighting. So many of use are part time, evening and mornings are vital. Power and water in the safe area are handy.

Easy to clean, can you use gravity, and the possibility further down the line of a wash down hose

Curved forcing pen and sliding back gates are fantastic

Don't rush it, will need planning permission or a planning exemption for Tams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

On the loading of cattle in trailers.

Panels on the crush with two pull out pins each side are the rolls royce in loading cattle. Just have the crush out from the wall if there is one.

Back your trailer or lorry up to the side of the crush and open one side of the panel and the stock just walk into the trailer or lorry. The cattle go as normal into the crush and the lorry is not in front of them so nothing to spook them. When they get to the open panel and ramp they've no choice but to load as they can't turn around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Only downside of loading from crush is you're in a very confined space trying to close the ramp gates of the lorry. In US/Australia they load from crush (single file ) but the door on the lorry/trailer is only the same width as crush meaning cattle cant come back out as long as cattle going in. Wonder why this never caught on here? as I believe the first cattle lorries here had no ramps and farmers would have a ramp that lorry would back up to

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Just out of curiosity did ye do them one by one at the front of the crush or load the full crush.i prefer to do animals one at a time as I have thing set up for it but the vets insist on doing the line.drive me insane as he s stopped when I m loading the crush and I m stopped while he's testing whereas if doing them all Individually you are both always going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Does the full run of the crush. Any uncooperative characters are then caught at the front of the race.

Sliding back gates, curved forcing area and good use of penning in the sheds help. I can keep cattle if front of the vet nearly 90% of the time. They can open the sliding back gate, with out leaving the safe area and cattle flow in. I would let the cattle off at the head of the crush. Bit like opening the gate at the from of a parlour before the last cow is full milked, but beef cattle move a bit quicker. While he's testing, I will tighten up the forcing area, sorting the next group or be opening gates to let cattle go to a pen.

The vet said in this day and age there is no excuse for not having a safe crush and cattle area. A few year ago, he had to test 40 cattle after leaving mine, he wasn't looking forward to it as it was going to be slow going. 3 hrs+. Asked how he got on the day of reading. "Had to bail out as the side of the old house the crush was up against gave way." You can now see why they like good systems and by god they see the good the bad and the ugly

Small tip for anyone on rented ground and up in the area over a crush. Stand it whole of the unit in sleeves ( red esb ducting) Then the whole thing can be lifted out easily with the only cost being a length of Ducting, concrete set them in place and digging.

In this current age there is no excuse of hap hazard cattle crushes and penning, around beef stock. It's not just your safety, it's the safety of others. A well thought out simple system will also help to keep cattle calm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was speaking with bo steel in regards to getting handling facilities designed. They seemed willing to design all from a simple outfarm setup to a top spec setup. They have a catalogue of standard designs on their website. So do condons.

In regards to loading I'd favour a setup where a gate can be pulled around behind the cattle like a forcing gate to drive them into trailer. With single file loading there is a change that one will turn back off the trailer and block the others coming up the line.

I think @renandstimpy put up one here that used the curved area to load and was a neat setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Have you got your set up done @funkey_monkey ? You had a lot of thought put into it over the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It's all designed and I've the gates all ready for one of them - it will be nothing fancy. Inside shed and plan for it to double as pens during winter.

However father died last year and other things have taken precedence. It needs to be put up this year as we have really lost use of the outfarm as we need facilities to ai cows.

I need to get one of them done this year at least. I'm on the list of a fella to come and do the work, but no idea when he will actually come.

Starting to get the head above water again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭fulldnod

just after finishing my application for tams 3, as usual lastminute.com, i just noticed you need planning permission for a farm roadway, no one in this country has planning permission for a farm road way, ours are in over 40 years why is this needed, does any one know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Just doing an application for tams 3, extremelylastminute.com, but it is looking for an indentifier number for a new crush gate, what is it could anyone please tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭dmakc

Yeah could be one of them investments not worth doing TAMS with. Need specific filling too don't think you can use your own.

I suppose if you're taking the roadway to a public road they'd need to see planning like they do with sheds. For private roads I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Herd Identifier are the 7 digits before the individual last 4 numbers on any tag of an animal born on your farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Sillycave

Many thanks but it only lets me put in 3 digits, I’ll put in 1 and let it be lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maybe chance the last 3 of the 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

The identifier is linked to the farmyard plan. For example if you're putting in a meal bin and mark it X on the farmyard plan, the identifier number on the investment page is X.

Advertisement