Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

They have one at the moment.

By simply walking out of the arrangement when they know Stormont can do nothing about the issue, they have effectively used their veto.

That would not happen in a UI regardless of their 'mindset'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

So why do you keep proposing the Irish govt develop a plan for a UI when the UK has no interest in joining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Could easily reform the GFA and some are already calling for that.

The GFA the DUP/TUV have as yet not signed up to and who many think had it's destruction as their goal?

• Advertisement

Not familiar with the numbers but wouldn't SF, SDLP and Alliance be enough of a bloc to change things? Could be put to a referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I seem to remember another party doing that for much longer

Great question. Has just created the solution of solutions. Why doesn’t francie campaign for a United ireland that includes Scotland, wales and England. I’m up for that. It’s a no brainier. You can have the parliament in Dublin. I reckon most Brits would be ok with it. Will open roi up to diversity and they may even stop playing a catholic call to prayer every night - or at least include a Muslim one. Is that a possible solution no one has thought of?

Not over something that Stormont can't fix.

SF left a coalition which is any party's right. Happens in every democracy in the world.

The DUP are effectively holding you and the people of NI to ransom to try and get something the Executive cannot give.

What makes you think it will make any difference to the DUP?

• Advertisement

Sorry, not following you. What might they do that wouldn't apply even moreso with a BP?

In a UI the country moves on without them...or anyone else who behaves similarly.

In NI the place cannot move on.

If you took the time to do proper research you would know that long before Brexit, the GFA was grinding to a halt due to belligerence and obstruction.

The kinda of behaviour you would expect from a party who never signed up to it to begin with and still haven't.

It will just keep happening. It has failed.

What was it that the ni executive fixed to allow them to go back in?

They agreed to implement already agreed legislation.

They could have done that at anytime and indeed did after a year but the DUP pulled the rug from under their negotiators just like they did with Theresa Mays deal with the EU.

Anyone who claims to know about NI should know of these patterns of behaviour.

Don’t tell francie about these guys in Norway. He’ll have their fire removed. I bet they are glad roi didn’t take over their country or there’d be none of this nonsense

https://www.tiktok.com/@nitsawara2525/video/7248345887347330331?_r=1&_t=8dWXHXDKfyV&social_sharing=v3

Burning is illegal here downcow for environmental reasons. And it is not just in this country.

You will need to change the law. If you get rid of the sectarianism and bigotry on display you may be able to persuade but as I have observed the law since it came in and seen the benefits I won’t be supporting it.

I also don’t think that is where the world is headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Downcow what are you on about?

What country are ROI planning to take over?

Re bonfires it was pointed out that by Irish law they are illegal, but Council's in their own words are practical about it. NI doesn't look to have laws banning bonfires. If there was a UI then that's an incompatibility that would be addressed through discourse with anyone who has an interest. Who knows it might relax Irish laws, and maybe we'll legalise fireworks to boot!

I don't get your comment on opening Ireland to diversity? Ireland is generally regarded as an open diverse nation?

As to the 'catholic call to prayer', nobody gives a toss about it, and most wouldn't care if it went. But, to address the sectarian slant you are throwing in as regards the Angelus, the Catholic imagry was removed since 2009 and it is now meant as an inclusive thing where "A reflective minute, where people of all faiths and none may, if they choose, take time out." where shock horror other faiths (Church or Ireland, Presbyterians) both called for it's continuation not removal since 2002, as the Angelus is part of the Anglican tradition also. It's noted (uncited) even the Rabbi of the mosques supported it's retention for a time of reflection.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Angelus_(Irish_broadcast)

Well that’s great news about the new masters being prepared to embrace ulster-British culture. Some posters are saying the opposite that, eg UB culture like bonfires will be gone in a year, even though they currently allow bonfires for various cultural/religious reasons.

the Irish regard roi as open and diverse, not many others do.

the bells - let’s not go there again.

its when our masters-to-be cherry pick laws to suit there own agendas eg illegal bonfires are bad, illegal funerals are good. Illegal bonfires are bad, illegal memorials are to be celebrated. Etc, etc.

bonfires are dangerous for the kids- stop them. Horse riding is dangerous for the kids - encourage them. Etc, etc

bonfires are environmentally negative - ban them. Air flights are environmentally bad - fly our leaders first class. Etc, etc.

a few bonfires have sectarian chanting - ban them. West Belfast festival always has sectarian chanting - fund it. Etc

that’s all. A party for all, my ar*e! The future of a new Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Ireland is widely regarded as open and diverse, and its pivot over a generation or so to a striking degree of openness and diversity has been the subject of much international notice and comment. If downcow isn't aware of this, is that perhaps indicative of the rather narrow range of perspectives to which people in NI get exposed?

• Advertisement

Perigrinus I think you are mixing up how far you have came (which is to be acknowledged), with where you are (which is at best, very ordinary)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Diversity is hard to measure and of course it can mean different things — e.g. does ethnic diversity for a country mean simply having people of different ethnic or racial backgrounds, or does it mean being open and inclusive to people of different ethnic or racial backgrounds? Measuring the former is much easier than measuring the latter, but the former can simply be the result of conquest and/or colonisation; in terms of social progress the latter is much more important.

Still, difficult and all as it is, people do try to quantify these things. Here, for example, is the inclusiveness index produced by Berkeley University. It examines "the degree of institutional inclusion and protections extended to vulnerable groups across salient social cleavages, such as gender, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and (dis)ability" and ranks countries according to various criteria and overall. Ireland is ranked 9th in the world in the overall rankings. (1st — New Zealand; last — Yemen. Since you'll undoubtedly ask, the UK is 16th.) Hard to categorise 9th out of 136 as "at best, very ordinary".

Bonfires here are ILLEGAL.

Nobody is cherrypicking.

It is quite clear to me. as these things get bigger and more troublesome, that action will have to be taken. Probably something along the lines of the Parades Commission, whose work, which even though you will never admit it, is the reason why parades are still allowed.

The OO order seems to be hellbent on creating confrontations over parades again,(Drumcree etc) I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are quite correct.

The Good Friday Agreement is an agreement between two governments. There is no point in one party to that Agreement producing a plan, in accordance with the logic being put forward for why Sinn Fein can't produce a plan.

How is the GFA an 'obvious' solution when the DUP haven't signed up to it?

They will just continue with their attempts to veto rights and any democratic decisions the people take.

Your lack of knowledge of the real politik and what is going on in NI is alarming to say the least.

Sinn Fein are not signatories of the GFA, the British and Irish governments are.

SF and all but the DUP and TUV are signatories to the Multi Party Agreement.

The UUP will not be producing a the counter proposal/plan in a Border Poll nor would they be expected to, that question/proposal will be made by the UK Government in consultation with the stakeholders.

(1) You say that Sinn Fein cannot produce a plan because no single party can produce a plan

(2) You say that the Irish Government could produce a plan because a single party to the Agreement can produce a plan

There are massive holes in your logic.

Do you know the difference between:

A) A Government

B) A political party

P.S. I did not say, 'no single party can produce a plan'...any party can do what they like within the law.

What I did say was no party (and I include Unionist party's here) would be stupid enough to waste time and resources doing it.

• Advertisement

I said that reform of the GFA is an obvious solution.

The next logical step in the evolution of relations on these islands is a reform of the GFA.

East-West relations should be strengthened in respect of giving the Irish government greater say on human rights issues such as the Legacy Bill and language rights.

North-South relations should be strengthened in respect of economic ties in line with the Protocol

Devolution should be strengthened with a move towards normal democratic majorities, because of the strengthened role of the Irish government on human rights issues.

The conditions for a border poll should be further clarified, e.g. first a clear and obvious indication that it is likely to be passed, second, a period of preparation, third, an initial poll, fourth, negotiations on the implementation of a united Ireland, fifth, a second poll to confirm acceptance of the arrangements.

That reformed GFA will bring a greater depth of maturity to the political arrangements in the North.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement