Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

There'll be no fallout on a nato country from any nuke if used. Putin may well have very loose deniability but we've seen how slow the west has been to react to all kind of atrocities.

He denied having little green me in crimea in 2014 and lied straight to the face of western leaders. They knew it was lies and the best they could muster was some sanctions and even that wasn't even close to being unanimous.

He denied being involved in MH17 and blocked the recovery of bodies. Nothing happened.

He denied he was going to war with Ukraine. Within 48hrs he did and again he wasn't really squeezed.

We have a history of not punishing him despite he continually crossing red lines.

I just think there is a back story to this Prizoghin tale that has yet to play out. The absolutely unopposed mutiny was just too convenient and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Its quite disturbing that RT are publishing more of this type of story, getting the Russian public more accepting of the idea ?

https://www.rt.com/russia/578814-russia-has-to-consider-launching-nuclear-strike/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Saw desperate scenes of a restaurant being hit in kramatorsk this evening . Involving an injured infant. Really shocking stuff. Unbelievable the depths that Russia has plummeted to. It’s a hell hole country with some really really **** people with nothing to offer the world only sh1t. We waste too much time and give them too much credit trying to understand them. It really is a country that is just stuck in medieval mode and it’s entirely its own fault. Guys talk on here of them leading a new world order . Jesus Christ.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Very graphic failed Ukrainan assault in the Zaporizhzhia region,more Bradleys lost, artillery and mines seem to be doing most of the damage ,

*Video is graphic *

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They are going to be demining that country (and having civilians lose limbs) for years to come after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

@20silkcut

It really is a country that is just stuck in medieval mode and it’s entirely its own fault. Guys talk on here of them leading a new world order . 

I'm sure you know this already, but when it comes the people you mention, the repression and wanton brutality of the current Russian regime is not a bug, it's a feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Yeah saw that myself, awful stuff. As a father of a child about that age/size in the scene it would make you want to cry and fill you with rage seeing an infant with their head covered in blood and the mother shaking. Please god the little one will be ok. Absolutely shameful to see how low those dirty cowardly b@stards will stoop to. If the west/NATO don't want to supply Ukraine with their latest technology to really hurt the scum, so be it. Not ideal but it is what it is, however they really have to ensure every single Ukrainian city and town are covered with multiple AA systems that ensures anything the scum launch at innocent civilians is intercepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Seems a few medics getting injured badly there. Last chap looks like he will loose his leg sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭macraignil

I agree that there must be more to this Prigozhin story and another possibility is that behind it all he is still working for putin and all this threat to russian security is playing up to the idea that they are still better off with putin in charge even with the mistakes he has made.

Don't agree that putin would get away with nuclear escalation in Ukraine however as if he was to get away with this once, there would be no end to the number of times he might use the tactic again. Chernobyl caused nuclear fall out across Europe and NATO was established to stop this from happening deliberately in the countries close to russia. I'm not saying they would immediately strike russia with nuclear weapons but a conventional response against their military has been hinted at. Would not be surprised if efforts to take out all of putin's military in UKraine and sink their navy were followed up with a move to take back Kaliningrad and disable their airforce to lessen the danger from putin's tactical nuclear weapons being used again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

The restaurant attack is horrendous, I don't care if it's kids or adults, all victims are equally tragic and it's one more in Russia's endless list of senseless war crimes. These attacks have become so commonplace they barely even register with most people now. All for the deluded fantasies of one embittered old man. Sickening. Every time it happens I marvel at Ukraine's self restraint. The urge to strike back against Russian civilian targets must be overwhelming at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

Jesus I'm not the better after watching that. Poor sod jumping out of the carrier onto the clay patch like everyone would., Hope he makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

They don't have to take the town itself, they just have to flank it? And that opens up a big area of Luhansk.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

North Korea is a medieval hell hole: Russia is, as some previously commented, is more like mafia state whose controlling interests are strip-mining the place until invariably, it all collapses. Its people are not the problem, only beholden to a criminal class running the country into the ground, latching onto that historic sense of deference embedded in the broad psyche. It has barely held itself together since the USSR fell and while Putin ran an authoritarian ship with occasional economic bumps - much to the cheer of the terminally anti-West self-loathing crowd - it was at the expense of stable growth and prosperity. And in some cases, literal growth given Russia's much documented demographic/population problem. Russia is a moribund state at this stage.

And now, Russia military strength has been shown to be all talk, and the thinnest of paper tigers. At this stage I'd question if even their nuclear weapons work TBH. All the army can do now is stall the inevitable; lace Ukraine with mines like monstrous armies before them, continue to attack the civilian population in the style of the Nazis they claim they're fighting [*], and presumably wait 'til its "leaders" decide enough is enough. But the damage is done: Russia's industrial military complex is treading water, their army now a ghost of its previous self having lost experience and equipment - and internally, a coup is apparently as easy as driving fast up the road, interior troops ineffectual.

[*] Not on Boards but I did see some Twitter replies where the mental gymnastics to justify the Russian attacks on civilians, is to claim Ukraine are hiding "terrorists" and soldiers in these locations, using human shields.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

More bad news for Russia. Chinese ambassador stated that China has no objection if Ukraine recoverd its territories including Crimea. Also part of the Russian front line has come under 'friendly' fire. This indicates confusion and the cracks in the defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Still happening in Afghanistan to the present day, mines laid during the time the Russians were there are still killing and maiming people, Men Women and Children. And not only people, but animals too, and this can impose serious hardship on family's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Chinese 152mm artillery shells turned up in Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

You'd have to imagine the east of Bahkmut is a real weak point. They won't have been able to build defences and mine it like other areas due to their own activity in the area so potentially a real breakthrough point. Go round it rather than through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

A precursor to them bringing Russian or Russian adjacent "territories" on their border under their control I wonder.

Yes, I think that he has successfully used plausible deniability in the sense that he has never been seriously punished for it. Prigozhin's murderous operation's world wide are still filling Putin's ( and Prigozhin's) coffers in Russia. And this "spat" with Gerasimov and Shoigu largely stemmed from them no longer supplying weapons and ammunition for Free ( supplied by the state) and he was having to use his own money. And of course, the outside world did not believe a word of Putin's deniability claims. As you said, it was all for home consumption. But now having admitted bankrolling Prigozhin, it seem that the Russian State can be sued for all the murder's, theft and depredations carried out in its name.

• Advertisement

I don't think the 'Coup' was organized by Putin. Why would Prigozhin publically state that the war was bogus and that there were no Nazis and no NATO threat. Undermines Putin's reasons fo rthe war.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 anonymouscactus

Just a suspicion, but part of me thinks China will get more explicitly involved in this conflict over time and in exchange, Putin has already agreed to give some territory to China (de facto through some form of regional autonomy, or real via official transfer to Chinese control).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I hadn't actually thought of that but it's a great point.

If Wagner is a proscribed terrorist organization (which it absolutely should be), and Russia openly admits financing them...then Russia is a state sponsor of terrorism. Which we all know obviously, but this is another stick to beat them with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Which ambassador? China presumably now seeing the way the winds are blowing? They always seemed to be trying to play all sides in this, sneaking in a little economic benefit through selling its desperate neighbours some basic ammunition. But if official diplomatic mouth-pieces are saying "Whatever, Moscow" to Russia losing its ill gotten gains, that smells like Chinese intelligence can see this war is only going in one direction, however slowly. The only question being if Ukraine's victory is Pyrrhic or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

My theory is that Prigozhin hoped that he would be joined by many volunteers on the way to Moscow. If I remember correctly, he said weapons would be provided for those willing to join. They cheered him on but did not help him in a practical way. It really was an attempt at a coup.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement

After watching that video, and the horror of it, one or two things stood out for me, 1st the cool headedness of the survivors under extreme duress, 2nd, the survivability of the Bradley's, and thirdly the question of why it was not possible to maneuver the Bradley even closer to the injured? This is not by any means a criticism, just wondering was there a reason for it at that point, as they eventually did move it closer. Anti-personnel mines would not have any effect on the Bradley. And finally, there's a long white pipe travelling in a straight line outwards from the Bradley. Any ideas as to what this might be? An explosive snake to trigger mines maybe? Again, Kudos to the survivors, and RIP to the dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it's likely Prizoghin was expecting support from other parties and it fell through or was circumvented. All bets are off now what he'll do he's a loose cannon.

Putin is just as likely to hit a city as a military target.

Do you have any links to that? I know that Xi has already started renaming towns and villages in Siberia by their old Chinese names before they were taken by Russia. At some time Xi might feel the need to enter these areas to protect the ethnic Chinese living there AKA Putins excuse to invade Donbas.

(the war in Ukraine) is a historical issue that needs to be negotiated and resolved by Russia and Ukraine

We advocate peace and we believe that it is important to achieve peace as soon as possible by resolving differences on the negotiating table".

Prior to the announcement of more sanctions, Fu said China has not committed to stopping companies from helping Russia, but he hoped through “dialogue, misunderstandings could be resolved”.

Anyone reading these quotes and thinking it'd be good to link this article as 'bad news for Russia' has a few screws loose.

• Advertisement

Post edited by zv2 on

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

According to US Intelligence one of the Russian generals knew about the coup in advance. I wonder how they got this information if they don't have a well placed mole somewhere. It maybe disinformation, but if it isn't then this is likely why the coup was called off. Prigozhin thought he could stroll into Moscow without much opposition but he found out that is where his forces would be wiped out, so he called a halt to it all. The only question is did someone offer him support that never came. I think it's highly likely this is in fact what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

People in the comments pointing out that they are stamped with a 1983 manufacture date and that they could well have come from ancient Iranian stocks that originally came from China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

With a friend like Lukashenko, who needs enemies!

Well if Xi does follow this path, it will be a leaf taken from Putins own playbook, when he squeezed Assad dry in return for bailing him out in Syria. One time when Assads military were running very short of fuel, and it was something Putin had plenty of he deliberately refrained from offering Assad any, forcing him to officially request it, after which Putin supplied it. At a price , of course!!!. Neither love nor honor between thieves and gangster's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 anonymouscactus

Agreed. No love/honour, but they are in cahoots, for now at least. And no, I don't have a link to my suspicions.. they are just that. Russia's demographics, the manageability issues that arise from its size might lend themselves to Putin handing over some land as part of a war-related quid pro quo that ensures its survivability as a state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Reports of a surrender of a Russian VDV company.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭IdHidden

The banality of mass-murder. Beautiful kids whose lived realities have been extinguished for no good reason. Yet the Vatnik Nazi propaganda tries to blame anyone but Russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭thereitisgone

This is just this guys opinion, but he is normally pretty level headed and not overly optimistic like most on Twitter

If there was any doubt that the strike on the pizza restaurant was deliberate: Ukraine arrests local man for 'helping' Russians carry out pizza restaurant strike that killed 10, Ukraine's counter-intelligence service has arrested a man they accuse of helping Russia direct a missile strike that killed 10 in the city of Kramatorsk. The Security Service of Ukraine (SSU) said the man detained was local to the area. "According to the investigation, the enemy agent is a resident of Kramatorsk, an employee of the local gas transportation company," it said on its website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,126 ✭✭✭timmyntc

slow but steady progress on one front in south

Should be up against first big entrenched line in a few weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Elon Musk's venture capitalist buddy amplifying a blue check Russian propaganda account claiming that the attack on Kramatorsk was actually a Storm Shadow that "suddenly changed trajectory dramatically" ffs. Just another day on Elon Musk's twitter these days where you are free to push state propaganda all you want for $8 a month and have the owner's cronies help to disseminate it for you as a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭rogber

It's heartbreaking and sickening what these scumbags keep doing to beautiful innocent people, for close on 1.5 years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Currently not in Ireland, only have intermittent access,

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed,the calmness to pull out and apply a tourniquet probably saved his life if not part of the leg , maybe they are Afraid of moving closer in the fear lowering the ramp could trigger further explosions creating more casualties, it's hard to tell the thinking behind it ,

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Putin is attending a tourism junket in the North Caucasus.

Z denizens are not happy, lots of open criticism. We're a long way of revolt, but this whole business with Wagner has left a mark on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is fascinating stuff. It blows my take on things out of the water. I had thought a senior Russian General assured Prigozhin of his support but double crossed him. However if this was the case why would he now be arrested? Is it the case that even with this general's support enough people within the military stayed loyal to Putin? In regards to the wider war, the ex chief of the British Army reckons that if the Ukranians do inflict a significant defeat on the Russians somewhere along the front that it may have a domino effect due to poor Russian troop morale. In essence what he was saying is an Army don't have to lose everywhere to feel defeated and surrender. It might sound like pie in the sky stuff, but given who is saying it then you have to consider this scenario might play out.

Post edited by nacho libre on

• Advertisement

They look very young for NATO instructors:

""Russia doesn't hit civilians only military targets," Kremlin spokesman Dmitri Peskov told Sky News, while Russian state TV explained the missile attacks, saying they were aimed at "NATO instructors" and that "the objective was achieved". It presented no evidence to justify that claim."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement