Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argument over smelly dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It’s a nice smelling disinfectant and really concentrated so a little goes a long way. If there’s a Mr Price near you they’ll have it. I put a few drops on the vacuum filters and bags, I also use it in my floor cleaner (we have lots of rugs so this freshens them up) and also when I wash down the patio every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

You'll get all sorts of responses to this! 😂

Here's mine:

If something smells, clean it more regularly. 🙂

True about almost everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

Try washing the dog a little more.

I have two dogs, labs. They shed throughout the year. Mostly in Spring/Early summer. During that period I wash them twice a month to clear off the dead and loose hair. They get brushed twice a week also.

The house is always spotless (a little OCD) and there is absolutely NO smell in the house.

A little extra work is required with the dogs for cleaning hair out of cars, off floors but nothing onerous.

House is hoovered at least once a day, floors are cleaned once every two days... oh and the fabric sofa (their favourite place) gets the covers taken off and washed once a month (along with hoovering the sofa completely)

As a kid I grew up with dogs, personally I think every child should. Exposes the child to many bacteria and germs that need to be added to a childs immune system..;)

If you dont like dogs (or is it just this dog) then you can stay in the dog house..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Posts like this are why I'm glad I don't date women who have pets, between barking, smells and bite risks for me I detest dogs. I remember a really beautiful girl taking me back to hers one night to be greeted by a big dog slobbering everywhere, hightailed it out of there gross.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

A bit of dirt is no harm at all. In fact, it is beneficial. Our immune system in geared toward working in an environment with a certain amount of dirt and microbes.

It is pretty well established that the excessively clean and sanitised housholds that people are obsessed with the last 30 years or so largely behind the explosion of immune dysfunctions and allergies. Back in my day allergies simply weren't a thing. Nowadays every second child has an allergy to this and an intolerance to that. Now always, but a lot of the time it is down to living in overly sanitised conditions.

And it is all pushed by big companies like unilever who have marketing campaigns that imply that you are a bad mother if you don't use whatever that kills 99% of germs. 99% of germs are utterly harmless.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

I think liking or not liking animals is very telling about a person. Unless there is a legitimate phobia involved, I think there is something off about people who dislike animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm a pet owner and love my pets but I genuinely think there's something "off" about people who can't understand that not everyone loves the things they love. Some people don't like dogs. There's nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I don't trust people who don't like dogs, or animals for that matter. How can you dislike an innocent creature?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah but maybe don’t wait until you’re living with somebody and have kids together to decide you don’t like their dog anymore(!)

One can feel strongly about animal welfare, abhor cruelty towards animals, but still not like being around animals.

People are different and have different likes and dislikes.

Fair point.

I'm not defending the OP here, at all.

Still don't trust anyone who actively dislikes an innocent creature

And I wouldn't trust anyone with such a narrow view point that is so rooted in their own experience and likes.

That's fair enough, you can think whatever you like, free world.

As can I 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

Nothing worse than a smelly dog owner

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭keithb93

Wash the dog and clean the house more often. You might find this to be a deal breaker for your partner if you keep pushing this, especially as the dog was there before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭denismc

Have a talk with your partner about the dogs diet, there maybe something that the dog is eating that is contributing to the smell.

Some of the cheap supermarket dog food is poor quality.

I think what is more telling is whether animals like or don't like a person. You see sometimes that animals really take to some people, and every so often they are averse to some people.

• Advertisement

Some of the most heinous people in the world are adored by their animals.

Also, in my experience, cats are often drawn to people who are afraid of /don't like /allergic to them!

I don't mind people who simply don't like animals, once they are not cruel or abusive to them.

I do mind people who treat animals badly, or treat them like something disposable to be cast aside once they have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Terrier2023

Best advice for a happy home give the dog more time get up off your arse and clean the house, hoover wash floors wash dog bedding and get to know a good groomer good for the dog & for your future. Big dogs rarely go past 12 years of age smaller ones live longer consider it a compromise for the goodness of a loving woman & your child. Maybe get to like the dog, to undersstand him, bond take him for a walk tire him out then he'll sleep. I think your judgemental friend has caused this issue dont have him over and if you do burn incense & candles or give him nose plugs at the door, he sounds like a jerk !

I had a friend who didnt like the dog hairs on her clothes so i asked her to leave and we could meet in future in a cafe, my dogs hated her so it works fine there is always a way to solve these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Roxxers,

Your posting style falls a long way short of the requirement in this forum that people are respectful towards other posters. There's no problem with people disagreeing with one another, but everyone must do so respectfully.

This is a first and final warning. Replies to this post by PM only.

Thanks,

DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You've got some good advice on this thread OP.

Get on with more cleaning. There's nothing unhealthy about having a dog sharing the house with you guys. Dogs are social animals, you can't just suddenly fook out that dog into a kennel. If my partner would suggest anything like that, I know who would see the door.. So I would be careful if I was you...

Great point I've read here, says dog is for live, and I fully back that up. Whoever suggested rehoming the dog.., that's just ridiculous, if there are no behaviour problems around the kids, why the heck anyone would do that. I've had dogs all my life, I have two kids too, they all grew up together, and I'd say kids benefits from that and the doggies too.

So maybe get your ass up and start up the hoover..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭mulbot

"we have dogs and there's no smell" etc, etc,. What nonsense, invite someone who doesn't have dogs into a house where there are dogs, irrespective of how much you've cleaned or washed the dog, and they'll be able to smell a dog. Dog owners become accustomed to the smell, same as for types of food or people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You simply need to clean the house more often but that just goes with having pets. I've two dogs in the house and I vaccum the kitchen and living room every morning. It gets very annoying at times but its part of having a dog. As people have said above vacuum,wash the floors,wash the dog,open windows etc even though it isn't your dog you should taking it upon yourself to clean up after the dog because you live in the house, the dog won't be around forever

Advertisement