Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Technically, you're correct. There doesn't appear to be anything illegal or even really immoral in what he's done.

But at a time when RTE were having to cut wages for all staff and at a time of Tubridy's contract negotiations where he was also getting a pay cut in line with everyone else, RTE in order to ensure they kept Tubridy and that he'd sign a new contract had to come up with an incredibly stupid deal with a sponsor to get Tubridy more money, a deal which RTE ended up having to foot the bill for and to find ways to keep it from being made public as part of Tubridy's actual pay.

It remains to be seen if the reason for this is that Tubridy was planning on walking away and not sign a new contract (or leave The Late Late Show and just do his radio show), and that's why RTE had to try get extra money to keep him. In which case, while not illegal or immoral, f*ck Tubridy and f*ck RTE. And I would say that appears to be the more likely scenario considering most, if not all, other top RTE hosts took the pay cut like everyone else and kept going because they get paid an incredible wage anyway, and RTE didn't have to do the same thing for them as they did for Tubridy.

Yes, nothing illegal or immoral in a guy getting as much money for what he does as he can. But considering everyone else was getting pay cuts, RTE is publicly funded to a large degree, and even after the pay cut he'd be getting an enormous wage, he's done f*ck all wrong, but f*ck him regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

He told people he had taken a paycut

He knew the money was being made up in another, backhanded and secretive way.

Ergo, he lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A complete revamp of RTE is long overdue...look at the top 10 earners at RTE.

If they think they can make better money elsewhere in a private company they can go, who else in there right would be paying George Lee (more like Misery) 180k plus....dont get me started on Joe Duffy 351k....

New blood is badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

That's not tue bug bear for me. Would any of us have turned down 75k if it could be got? Even if the rest of the country was taking cuts , I would still take the best deal I could if I was making a salary or contract. I don't think many people would really say "no, I am earning enough as I am you can keep the few bob extra" .

What can he say now that will smooth the deal over?

My problem is RTE fudging the figures ,Dee Forbes was not fit to negotiate so she caved in and gave what was asked for, then hid it. It's highly unlikely she was the only one that knew what happened either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

He was quoted as saying he happily took a pay cut as he was deeply affected by poverty.

He lied! No ifs, ands or buts about it. He lied and then sat back when RTE published false salary details.

How do people still not get this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Except he told everyone he took a pay cut, we are all in this together. He got great PR from that while he got money channeled in the background to keep his pay cheque up

Tubs done plenty wrong here. Let's get that clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ryan Tubridy knew the figure was incorrect year after year he could have done something to correct it, he did not, odd that. He said he took a pay cut....he didn't...

I would say NK management isn't exactly in the good books either at RTE, insane overinflated consultancy fees, dodgy accounts in the UK, crazy amount of money wasted by RTE.

The sh1t could really hit the fan if the fee for Patrick Kielty is released and it is bonkers. I don't think he had a queue of offers at the door tbh.

People are entitled to their opinion. But saying Tubs done nothing wrong here is totally incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Legally, morally, ethically? There's many levels of being wrong.

In his Friday statement, he said he should have asked questions and gotten the figure corrected.

So are you accusing him of being a liar?

It's his job to commentate on public affairs from a position of integrity, respect etc.

The release of RTE pay is a media story every year.

If he was unaware of the discrepancy he is incompetent.

If he aware there goes reputation for respect and integrity.

He lied to his colleagues about the extent of his RTE pay cut. A lie by omission.

NK sent falsely described invoices to request the payment. A lie by commission.

Tubridy is a director of the company receiving the payments.

So yes, 'Tubs' did do several things wrong here.

RTE did a lot more. But Tubridy and NK are not blameless here.

Unless you think it's morally acceptable to take public funds in this underhand manner, hidden from the board?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Reading this thread, I cannot help but think how awfully twee we are as a nation. In the UK you had shady goings on with the likes of Jimmy Saville or Schofield and here we are, getting lathered about a presenter being paid less than half a million euro than he should have. I dunno, the whole thing feels utterly "Irish"😁

He did know though, hence the 2 conflicting statements last week.

"I should have asked questions" my arse. He shouldn't have given interviews saying he was a great lad for taking a pay cut.

A pay cut that was actually a different way of getting paid more, and one that cost RTE a hell of a lot more than the actual value of the hidden payment.

He has no integrity. Zero. Zilch. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

I get the uproar. I understand why people think NK and tubs are in the wrong.

As much as I would like tubs to be in the wrong as it would mean he would most likely be off the airways.

As I said already. It's an agents job to get the best deal for their client. As an employee it's in your interest to get the most you can for yourself.

The fact that RTE did it in the way they did is on RTE. Not tubs.

Can't belive I'm defending this buffoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dublin49

no matter how much Tubridy received he would be mindful that it was far below Kennys rate for the same job profile.He probably had himself convinced that although his pay wasnt reduced it was below what he was worth and hence he was happy he was doing his bit.

He most likely cannot plead ignorance on conclusion to deceive the public given he would have to have been briefed to get him onside for the 3 appearances at the sponsors gigs.

Alternatively ,if he can make a plausible case that he like Manuel knew nothing his agent and Dee Forbes might find themselves being sued for reckless behaviour with regard to Ryans reputation and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It’s more than the top ten presenters that need looking at. What sort of money are the higher management and board on because, quite frankly, they have not proven to be deserving of 6 figure salaries.

Tubs was aware of the deal and so was his agent. This was setup to make sure it wouldn't show up on the books and Tubs was aware of this.

He had additional money showing up in his account which he was also aware of

He also lied to the public at the same time, he lied to his work colleague who took pay cuts and others who had to leave their jobs.

You can spin this whatever way you like but Tubs is up to his neck in this, it damage control now because he knows he could end up not working in Ireland again and who else will hire him? he is f**king awful. So unless he clears his name in Ireland he is screwed working again. RTE of course want to make sure they keep their "stars" happy so won't drop him in it. PLus they actually think Tubs will be back on TV soon and he will be a success so throw the last person out the door, Dee, under the bus while keeping Tubs happy.

I am not saying RTE are not hugely part of the issue, but again Tubs should never work in Ireland again on RTE. If anyone else wants him let him off. I somehow doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I really see absolutely no problem.

When I first started working my starting salary was €20000 and my co-worker (same qualifications - doing the same job) was only on €15000.

my boss told me to tell nobody I was on a higher salary and if anyone asked me then I was to say I was on €15000.

in any workplace there are always different salaries - it’s part of working life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This story is more noise to keep the population distracted and curtain twitching while the government continues to sell the country down the river.

Who cares what Kenny made? totally irrelevant.

Should we say that Tubridy didn't deserve his wages because in the 80s a far superior presenter f the Late Late was on a lot less? No because it is irrelvant

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Even looks like one

Dee Forbes is a strange one too, the black clothes and big black glasses all the time, she looks like something out of Star Trek :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

The fact he was aware is not relevant.

The fact NK was aware is not relevant.

The fact he was paid more than his colleagues is not relevant.

You can't say RTE are not a not a huge part of the issue. RTE ARE the issue.

Besides the fact he's useless. Why would someone like newstalk not hire him? Why would they care RTE took a the route they did to pay him?

Yes it is all relevant.

Why would someone else not hire him? maybe they will but what will they pay him because his ratings on Late Late and on radio ended up going one direction and will go further down after this.

RTE, those in RTE who knew, Tubs, his agent are all the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Well if I were RTE now I'd be looking to getting as much advertising in now for his first show back on radio...can you imagine the listenship figures for that 1 show alone...will be massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

That's a lot for astroturfing, did you also get a per - post rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Also if I was Tubs I'd open up with that first show with Simply Red's song - Money's to tight to mention

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

How does RTE decide the pay range for on-screen talent? Presumably, they look at an equivalent service in another country and base it off that? People seem to think they are all overpaid without any basis other than they don't personally like the content. I don't like it either, tbh but they deserve the market rate of pay for the job. I'd rather they pay the talent well, than be in a position where someone can become a "famous" in this country and make sfa.

I don't care so much about this Tubridy stuff. What I do care about is that I have made umpteen complaints about the RTE Player for over 10 years. I have submitted complaints to Government officials to try and get some sort of oversight on it. Nothing but excuses returned. I don't have a TV service but I can access the RTE Player. It rarely works yet I have to pay my TV License? That is more outrageous than Ryan Tubridy getting paid less than a million to be the most famous Irish presenter. How does our national broadcaster get away with selectively promoting national sports too? They didn't give 2 shites about LOI until Virgin started showing matches. RTE is muck but this Tubridy pay thing is low on the list of problems.

A spokesperson for Dee confirmed she is not providing any further comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

RT did not have to ask ANY QUESTION . All he needed to do is to sent a VERY BRIEF WRITTEN NOTE to RTE to tell it what his correct annual payment to his company was for services provided so would it please correct the error IN PUBLIC. If he did that one liner we would all be in a totally different space today .

IMO who knew about the deal was RT himself , his agent NK, Dee Forbes, person/s who paid the monthly payment or set up the standing order for the special payment for ‘ TALENT’ - the rest of us have ABSOLUTLY no talent but we have something else whatever that is and individuals/ confidants close to all of the above . The king with no clothes comes to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I have always liked Patrick Kielty and I’m actually going to start watching The late late show when it returns. I really hope he gives it an upbeat Friday night vibe as I can’t be arsed with doom and gloom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement