Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, a man in his position of wealth in a pandemic when many people were really struggling financially and he pockets 345k of taxpayers money on top of his salary (in an undisclosed mannner) for next to no actual work is what most people would find sickening.

and yes, I would have turned it down for reasons: I wouldn’t have needed it; I know I didn’t earn it; I know it’s taxpayers money; and most of all, I’d be self aware of the optics of it all..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I'm really really sorry that self proclaimed king of kindness,got found out, 😋,

What will the children think, can he no longer tell kids he's the toyman (That sounded fcukin weird when he used to call himself that)

Would Claire Byrne earn 350k a year anywhere else!?

I doubt it. That alone speaks volumes, and should form the basis of reducing her salary, as well as that for other high-earners at RTE.

I suspect Tubridy and others understand they are paid way too much, but they seem to get away with it because RTE might fear them going elsewhere. I say it's an empty threat, and they should call that bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

and he still has an extra 225k to go for the years 2023, 2024 & 2025. Plus whatever the exit fee is (7 figures?) plus the annual “published” salary.

Oh, and there’s the 50%+ administration fees.

How many million is all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I would say considering the info which has come out since Tubridy's statements, there's no way neither he nor his agent didn't know he was getting paid more than what was reported, as it was clearly part of the contract negotiated with RTE that he would get a pay cut from RTE, but he would get extra money from a sponsor in exchange for a few corporate appearances/events and that this was arranged by RTE as part of his contract. The fact he was still getting paid that extra money without doing the events would not have gone unnoticed.

It wasn't a case of "RTE are paying me X but saying publicly they're only paying me Y... that's weird...", he (and his agents) knew RTE were paying him the publicly stated figure, and then he was getting extra on top of that from a sponsor and that money was then being covered by RTE when the sponsor pulled out. They knew that because it was negotiated into his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

They never claimed they were not aware of it though did they? Or I didn't see it anywhere.

The worst part of it all is how Tubridy would pop up like a cardboard cut-out on a Friday night, with a halo and holier than thou attitude when speaking to others who did any wrongdoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

agree, i think he's good and I hope they change the format and get a new generation watching, badly needed.

Between him and his wife, they have good connections in celeb world. The misery slot crap needs to go.. we're all done to death with people being wheeled out a Friday. ~2 hrs show length is too much too, qualify over quantity ( although prob RTE bleeding the add airtime minutes dry..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Someone on the board or very close to the board with access to the info leaked this to the journalist.

They knew Tubs was negotiating a new contract and wanted the snake gone. And they wanted Forbes gone too. They also knew what NK was up to.

It'll be interested to see what way the chips will fall.

• Advertisement

I see Maia Dunphy is tweeting about what a brilliant broadcaster RT is...

Oh wait, is she represented by NK too? What do you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Very odd that RTE told NK to issue invoices to Astus UK. Who are they and why would a UK company agree to pay an Irish entity on the basis of fictitious invoices?

Was it a one-off?

The mechanics of this set-up sounds very dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,470 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Except own up when he hears his salary quoted annually and doesn't correct it. Every, single, year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

There's a big difference between earning €350k a year and 'SFA' as you put it. There's a sensible middle ground amount but it looks like RTE ignore that for certain 'stars'. Maybe the money saved on the top 10 list could be funneled into stuff like fixing broadcast infrastructure like the RTE Player etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's not the amount, we're used to the crazy salaries RTE throw out for not much.

It's the deceit of the public and the apparently hard pressed staff in RTE that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

People on here still saying Tubridy didn’t know.

So we’re supposed to believe that his agent Noel Kelly arranged an off the books “top up” for him for a period of at least 3 but likely 6 years, and didn’t at any stage tell his client Tubs about this?

That’s credible.

Did everyone who was already inside the walls of RTE, who turned down the Late Late, know what was coming?

Were they warned? That the push to get rid of RT and NK's grip on RTE was coming?

If NK was running rings around Forbes as some have suggested? Why was he so stupid to sign the invoices in the UK and leave a trail?

They've been doing this years. Probably decades. They were comfortable doing it.

Every department's budget and any financial transaction going back decades has to be looked at. Millions and millions, if not hundreds of millions, of tax payers money has been siphoned.

The GAAgo streaming breakaway has to be audited and investigated. Where is all the money going? What are the boards and admins earning? What junkets and where are they going?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No, but in light of info which came out after his statement, his statement reads quite differently.

"when my earnings were published I should have asked questions at the time and sought answers as to the circumstances which resulted in incorrect figures being published." - He (or his agent) would have known that the figure published was technically correct, but that he was getting the extra money on top of that through a deal with the sponsor (which ended up being paid for by RTE, and they also would have known that considering he wasn't doing the appearances for the sponsor which had been agreed, and it was part of the contract that RTE guarantees the money to Tubridy if the sponsor pulled out, which they did)

“Separately, it has been reported that I did not take a pay cut over the last number of years. This is simply not true. Over the period of my contract with RTÉ, I have been asked to take several reductions in salary and I did. Indeed, between 2012 and today, my pay from RTÉ was cut by approximately 40%." - Again, he would have known he was taking a pay cut from RTE in 2020, but rather than just accept the pay cut they negotiated a deal through RTE with the sponsor in order to offset the paycut, a deal which, since it was done through RTE, left RTE liable for the costs of it when the sponsor pulled out.

It wasn't just a case of not knowing why RTE reported his salary incorrectly and apologising for not looking into it. Instead it's clear that the extra money on top of his reported salary was because of something negotiated with RTE, which RTE had to come up with in order to keep Tubridy (again, hence why the same sort of agreement doesn't appear to have been done for anyone else). It's likely Tubridy was on for walking away, and RTE came up with this to get him more money, at a time when everyone else at RTE had to take a pay cut.

He knew he was getting paid more, and he knew why. "I noticed it but I failed to question it" simply doesn't work given what we now know. They knew why, because it was negotiated and agreed with RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I wonder could Noel Kelly negotiate for people in other industries?...asking for a friend who feels his talent is under rewarded 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

The point for me is that there's no possibility that RT and, of course, NK didn't know all about this under the counter arrangement. NK asked for it to make up for the "pay cut". Does anybody think that he didn't mention it to RT, you know, so he needn't worry about the pay cut.

Perhaps if you'd just arrived by bicycle up the river, you might believe.

Why would RT leave the Late Late show unless he knew this furore was coming down the tracks?

Who would turn down the lucrative free €75k pa and the 600k for the remaining 2 years 'for the job I love'.

He thought people love me too much for this to matter. They've been over paying me years, why care now? It's RTE's baby.

This is how stupid RT and NK think we are. Why would you blame them? They've been getting away with absolutely mad stuff for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The most important question of the day is

HOW MANY BAGS OF SALTY & SWEET POPCORN WILL I NEED FOR THIS AFTERNOON’S VIEWING?

😝😝😝

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Public session on oireacthas tv 1:30

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

RTE publishing incorrect salary statements is not on tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I totally agree, I was just using the top 10 as an example.

I agree RE the management and board but plenty of other "talent" also on crazy money just outside of the top 10. I saw Aine Lawlor at the protest yesterday, until very recently she was in the top 10 herself on close to 180k, who in their right might thinks she is worth anything close to that?!

• Some people on here contradicting themselves in spades 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

The question is what equivalent country does RTE choose to base it's market pay rates on?

Denmark, Finland or Scotland would have been fine. The UK seems to be what they used but that made no sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement