Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The whitewash is in, 'nobody knew except the person who is out of reach of questioning or accountability'.

From government down the same old, same old.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why does everything have to be a government conspiracy?

The significantly more likely scenario is that she is trying to simply avoid government oversight of her role in all this. The committee is majority made up of government TDs and asked her to attend.

It's not a conspiracy.

It's part of the same system. You know the one where there is never any accountability. Where Paschal can say the exact same thing as the Board here...'I/We, didn't know' and walk away.

A committee which is majority made up of government parties called the person to account and they cried off claiming health reasons. For now, the most likely scenario by a massive margin is that the guilty party just doesn't want to face scrutiny on a national stage and is crying off. There is also the possibility she is actually just sick.

How did you vote in the referendum on dail committee powers if you don't mind me asking? Because we didn't grant them the right to subpoena people.

Yeh, you can spin away, very few are buying it.

It is following the same pattern. Obfuscate, deny and avoid. Next we will get a lengthy inquiry that won’t go anywhere and things will carry on. Token reforms and no individual or corporate accountability.

• Advertisement

Cool. What do you want them to do alternatively that is actually within their powers? They can't force her to turn up because we decided they shouldn't have that power.

She is the one refusing to turn up. The government (and this isn't even a govt committee, its an oireachtas one) is not able to force the issue. They are doing what they can to the extent of their powers. Many people thought the appearance would be cancelled when she quite, but they kept it in the books. If it was some plan by the govt its a terrible one.

They are the legislators. It’s not the first time it has happened.

It suits them is the reason it doesn’t happen.

What do you want them to do that is within their actual powers to do? It is a simple question.

They requested more power to deal with exactly these issues and were denied them by the people of Ireland. So now they have no judicial power. Them being legislators seems irrelevant unless you want them to pass legislation to compel testimony from an individual person, which I suspect would cause issues. Clearly the entire situation is a mess, its possible the board were complicit or negligent. You seem opposed to the idea of an inquiry but that is the only option open to them to understand exactly what happened.

While the outcome may suit the govt (and I don't agree it does as it drags everything on) they are not omnipotent and their powers to do anything else are constrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have a written constitution, unlike the UK. Wasn't there a payout where a committee overstepped their mark, as the courts saw it?

If they truly want reform then they have to convince the people to give them the powers.

Sitting back saying ‘shure we can do nothing’ is obscene. But then they are part of the same system of virtually no accountability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As Stanley is saying on Prime Time it looks like a case involving false accounting. If an ordinary company did that they’d have the tax office down on them and possibly the fraud squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

And perhaps then revenue and the Garda fraud squad should look into this. Dail committees can be useful. But i for one am quite glad we decided against given politicians semi judicial powers.

With the information in the public domain, I think we all have a fair idea of what happened. And why it shouldn't have happened. It seems the DG agreed this arrangements. The board will have to decide if it can take any action against an errant DG. And if there is no remedy then the politicians, and particularly the relevant minister, needs to put in place those structures and procedures that will ensure this cannot happen again in the future. That might mean limiting the power of the DG but it could also mean hard caps on salaries within RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The question was put to the people in a referendum and they rejected it, that is the reason why the Committee can't compel her, nothing to do with the government or the legislators.

You have been corrected on that lie already.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Politicians are held fully accountable every five years at the most.

If the Irish people fail to hold politicians accountable (and I can think of quite a few popular ones who should be nowhere near any elected office) that's on them.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Sure, blame the people.

One of the vagaries of our electoral system is that even if most of the public don't vote for some of these people they can still get back into powerful positions.

Proper oversignt and observance of rules and proper accountability would negate that though. We all have witnessed these politicians circling the wagons to protect themselves. We can all see how the regulatory and disciplinary organs are hampered and set up to fail in their proper oversight roles.

We can all see and hear the lip service paid to reform and giving more power to regulatory agencies, but nothing is ever done. How long have SIPO been calling for more powers for instance?

Still we wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Who else is to blame? Dodgy TDs didn't elect themselves.

If the public want reform they need to give a mandate to politicians who will implement reform. FG, FF and, yes, SF have far too much to lose.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

It isn't the public who are protecting dodgy TD's.

The electoral system can see the public reject a TD but they still find themselves elected in subsequent counts. I.E. the electorate can express an opinion but that TD can still get in.

That is just an unfortunate side effect of the PR system.

IF TD's properly self regulated set up the regulatory bodies they pay lip service to empowering, then those dodgy TD's would not find themselves in powerful positions. TD's who break the rules would be properly sanctioned and excluded from ministerial positions etc.

Throwing your hands in the air and saying nothing can be done is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd suggest dropping the later-counts-don't-count thing soon - it will make you look very very silly when SF have multiple senior TDs elected on late counts due to vote management next time.

A TD elected on a later count has not been rejected by the electorate

You misunderstand the point. I didn't say they don't count, they clearly do.

If the vast majority in a constituency don't give a TD their first second or even third preference that TD can still be elected...whether they be SF, FF FG etc.

I.E. the people in the majority may reject somebody but that may not be enough.

Throwing your hands in the air and blaming the electorate solely for the problems is not acceptable IMO

There are steps that can be taken, we have listened to the New Politics/reform bullshit for long enough.

Would be nice to hear some call a spade a spade here.

• Advertisement

Under your logic basically every politician in the country has been rejected - only the President had a majority on the first count.

Being elected means they were not rejected by the public - no matter what way you try to spin it

Ok, keep missing the point to avoid the main point - the lack of movement from TD's themselves on things they promise to do.

The unwillingness of some here to call a spade a spade, speaks for itself.

I haven't commented on that at all.

I'm pointing out that your idea of rejected doesn't agree with reality.

Yes, I addressed the fact that you haven't commented here.

The unwillingness of some here to call a spade a spade, speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You need to learn a little bit about the STV system used in Ireland and the legitimacy of election.

It seems like you are a big fan of the British system of FPTP.

It is always amazing to me to see such ardent nationalists clinging to relics of the British system like counties and jury trials, but seeking to effectively suggest that FPTP better represents democracy is a new one.

And I am calling a spade a spade in saying that.

Why are you making stuff up continually about posters.

I said nothing - ZILCH about FPTP.

I said nothing about getting rid of PR.

I did mention one of the side effects/vagaries of PR is that it is frequently not possible for an electorate to rid the constituency of dodgy TD's.

So blaming the electorate for the continued election of dodgy TD's is dis-ingenuous and ignores the fact that time and again TD's have sat on their hands vis a vis reforming and empowering regulation bodies such as SIPO. The 'New Politics' bullshit of FG being a prime example.

You can try all you like to drag me in to that conversation, but it won't work and it doesn't distract from your weak attempt to delegitamise those elected on later counts that SF supporters have been doing since 2020

A TD being elected means they have not been rejected - end of. Using your logic Mary Lou was rejected, Pearse was rejected etc etc etc

The electorate have booted out many unpopular TDs over the years, and multi seat systems make it possible to even do so while still supporting a party. Shatter being replaced by his running mate is a recent example

Which is not what I said.

I said, the electorate can try to get rid of a dodgy TD’s but sometimes can’t because of a vagary of the PR system.

That is a defence of the electorate, not a delegitimising of elected reps.

Not electoral system is perfect. PR is no different and I have always supported it.

So consider my position on that clarified.

The electorate can try to remove a politician but sometimes can't because the electorate votes for them is basically what you've just said.

• Advertisement

What you actually said:

"The electoral system can see the public reject a TD but they still find themselves elected in subsequent counts."

Absolutely diddly squat about this being a vagary of PR, just a blatant attempt to claim that its somehow not really getting elected if you aren't first.

Standard current day SF playbook, claim that getting elected on a lower count means less than getting elected on the first because its a way to get a simple jibe in at FF/FG TDs that had running mates and hence vote management.

Give it up - you already look silly trying to claim you didn't say what you clearly said; and you'll look sillier if SF get their vote management right next time out and don't leave tens of thousands of votes on the table / transfer them to PBP/SD like last time.

Advertisement