Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well that's on you.

The published figures for his salary were incorrect over a large number of years. Tubridy said he took a pay cut when he didn't. That's before you get into the dodgy dealings with the UK based account, exorbitant "consultation" fees, the bonkers wages etc.

I am guessing you worked in a private company? It is totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Apart from showing a staggering lack of self-awareness, that can probably be put down to "Gimme it, it's mine."

Fades in to first guest "any cancer in the family?"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

more from the currency...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

They are overpaid with full basis.

If you want to be really fair about it look at advertising revenue generated and use that for your metric. They never would though as what’s actually fair market rate would be a hard pill to swallow for the “talent” RTE has conned the nation into thinking they are superstars.

they would also probably say “we are fulfilling public service obligations” in my mind that stops at the news and maybe prime time, maybe sports at a push which they don’t even do anymore.

Scan down through this list - not one of our “talent” could compare or compete with any of these people. That aside some of them are on relatively fair wages considering the export potential of their output - Theroix for example. Ill explain it another way - the BBC gets stuff they can sell out of these people - RTE produce essentially nothing.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/premier-league/top-scorers

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Where’s the little circle showing the transaction fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Speaking to Today with Claire Byrne, RTE released the following statement in relation to pausing negotiations with Ryan Tubridy regarding his radio responsibilities.

They stated: "Ryan Tubridy stood down from The Late Late Show in May. RTE has written to his agent that the contract including all arrangements therein has come to an end.

"Negotiations have commenced regarding his radio responsibilities and those negotiations have been paused as with all negotiations as per the board statement.’”

RTE were also questioned about future payments being made to Tubridy as there were two years left in his contract, where he would receive additional €75,000 sums.

Claire said: “We asked RTE this morning if there are exit payments of any type included in any of the management contracts for members of the executive board or for any other category of staff member at RTE

“They told us the answer on that question is no.”

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Think it was Tom Lyons on with Claire Byrne this morning who made a pertinent comment that to an outsider with no knowledge of the players involved, RTE appeared like a smalltime organisation who were trying desperately to hold onto a big star and these sweet, underwritten deals, with even catering bills paid for the sponsors, were part of their attempts to keep a big shot at little old RTE.

When in reality RTE is the biggest media entity in Ireland, with a huge listener and viewership, huge advertising budgets and THEY could have as easily been the ones calling the shots on any contracts with "the talent"

The bottom line appears to be that Noel Kelly Mgment seems to have as much or possibly more bargaining power than RTE itself when it comes to all negotiations. And why wouldn't they. If you represent almost all of the big names working for a company, you obviously hold the sword of Damocles over the head of that company when it comes to contracts.......

"Oh, you don't want to give my client what we feel is commensurate with his huge talent and audience pulling power? Well then, one of my other clients on your highest earners list may have contractual issues to discuss when their time to renegotiate comes up"

Obviously this would be implied not stated but it HAS to be factored into the thinking when an agent practically represents all of RTE's top presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I wonder if there's anyone in Renault who is related to or in the social circles of RT and NK...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,227 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...tis rotten out alright, there truly needs to be a major enquiry over this....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭valoren

This grilling Tubridy is getting is akin to the grilling Jimmy Carr got when his tax “avoision” came to light. The difference though is that Carr trusted the accountant. His money was being stashed legally but aggressively so to minimize taxation. Carr presumed once it was legal then it was grand. Once it came out he was grilled but had plausible excuses which salvaged his career. In short, he was making a lot of money, his accountant went to work on it, he thought no more of it but the optics looked awful and so he made arrangements to end involvement in such schemes. With Tubridy he has no plausible excuse since he was acutely aware that there were financial shenanigans afoot for years which benefited him financially in keeping his salary level what it was but also in terms of the PR optics of taking a pay cut, being in it together, affected by seeing poverty etc. That he kept schtum while basking in the latter is what sinks his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I think a lot of the mystery around RTE salaries can be explained by

*Dee Forbes are their ilk are on big money (225K plus 25k car allowance and probably pension?) and pulling up the top pay is in her own and other boards members interest

*The RTE set are completely up their own hole and convinced of their importance/talent

*we keep funding it and don't hold them to account

*It's easy to be generous with the neighbour's ass (donkey like creature in case of confusion 😀)

Over the years RTE have had some quality broadcasters Kenny, Byrne etc but Tubridy and D'Arcy in particular are pretty awful by any metric. Neither would stand out working for a local radio station not to mind paying the cnuts the kind of money top doctors aren't on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Carr has also since been very open about it and let himself be the brunt of many jokes. Going by Tubs' two statements I can't see him being that candid in the future.

• I’m seeing nothing for NK in 2020 graphic, I’m seeing he pocketed €80760 in the 2021+2022 graphic. 🧐

I know paddy , regular gaa lovin dude no airs or graces

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It's time RTE told NK to PFO. The people NK represents can be easily replaced, but only if RTE put their mind to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ryan Tubridy has gone public many times over many years saying that he was taking paycuts.......all the while pontificating and preaching about "wearing the green jersey", "being kind", "team Ireland" "showing solidarity"....

During this time , tubridy was in fact taking secret, shady backhanders to ensure he wasnt actually taking any paycut at all and in fact got a raise between 2017 and 2021.....bear in mind that in this period, the ordinary RTE staff were forced to take cuts....

Finally, we are still no clearer about the extra €120k he was paid from 2017-2019.

All this money going to Tubridy is from the Irish public......

Now, if you have read all that and you still think that Tubridy has done "fùck all wrong"....then you are truly lost....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

People are hanging to the did no wrong in the legal sense.

Then there is the moral and ethical and right thing to do sense, which, of course is subjective!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yes, the Jimmy Carr case crossed my mind over the last week. The great thing for Jimmy is though, his millions and lavish lifestyle are as a result of his own talent and shrewdness. No tax payer funded free loading there. Since it all came out, he's been fully open about it and basically said in interviews "Look, my accountant asked me if I wanted to reduce my tax bill in a legal way and, like everyone else in the whole world would, I said yes. Yes, I do!"

But obviously when the manner of cutting his tax bill came to light, he realised it was very bad optics and ended it. As you say, it's apples and oranges to the Tubridy case. He knew from 2020 he had a commercial deal on the side he couldn't fulfill due to covid and accepted tax payer cash in lieu of it to top up his already exorbitant salary. All the while 99% of the rest of the staff at the station were being asked to shoulder huge cuts.

And of course, Jimmy Carr never pretended he was the second coming of Christ, sent down from heaven to guide the little people of the nation through plague!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I think RTE are the main villain. If Tubridy is paying with his career what's RTE's penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And as the viewing listening public it is in our interests to express our outrage and disgust at being taken for a ride and say we don't want to see or hear from this guy again. He is toxic. He has lost the room and the viewing audience and the advertisers.

Think of how much that will cost Tubridy and NK.

So in the long run, the agent didn't do the best job. Tubridy didn't do the best job. They didn't consider what would happen if these shenanigans came to light.

NK sent falsely described invoices to get these payments. They knew the RTE Boards wouldn't have signed off on these payments had they been aware. So NK colluded in these shenanigans.

Also, he has been found out as lying to his colleagues about his pay cut. That's not a good look. And also has consequences for future career prospects.

So, yes he did something wrong, even purely approached from a self interest perspective.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Again, if it comes down to them not breaking any laws, corporate or legal, nothing can be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,282 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well for one thing all talk of licence fee reform \ increase \ more funding is toxic. They won't be getting any more funding from the public for a long time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Perhaps you could put aside your declared bias and listen to his interviews with Mick Clifford and Fionnán Sheahan and then perhaps re-evaluate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Still confusing.

If barter transactions are an exchange of goods / services between two or more players facilitated through a barter exchange company (presumably that's what Astus UK is), how did actual monies change hands?

Also, if RTE issued credits for advertising to offset RT's extra fees, does that mean RTE understated their revenue for all the years this set-up was used? How much other barter credits were there and how long has this been happening? Bearing in mind that the finance department had no oversight of it until recently.

Any accountants on here know how barter transactions should be recorded and reported in financial statements?

Also a key difference is Carr's money is not public money.

Tubs window to be contrite and say return the monies or donate them to charity is now firmly closed. He and his agent chose instead to be defiant and say "nothing to do with us". It will ultimately damage both men reputationally as well as financially.

Well their penalty is they have no chance of getting a licence fee increase now. And I suspect non-payment rates will increase significantly as a result of this fiasco. Dee Forbes has cost them a lot of money.

• Advertisement

What’s not true? Nothing can be done if no laws were broken?

so enlighten me. What could be done penalty wise IF it’s shown that no laws were broken?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement