Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do smart meters cost you more

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johntonyroche

I noticed this the other day rang them straight away its working out at about €1 extra nearly every night. They said I would be reimbursed and someone from there smart team would contact me about the issue. If that happens remains to be seen.

This needs to be made public to anyone on a smart tariff as if they are using it correctly could be costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

Jesus, new to this thread and my head is spinning. Nearly finished a new house and need to sort a supplier before I can get connected. Just wondering would it be best to just go on a standard rate plan and review usage after a year. Seriously worried about bills, house is fully electric; heat pump, MVHR, hob/oven etc so I’m going to be using serious juice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Hi, sorry I know this is really old. That is my understanding as well. Smart meters don't cost more, it's the plans. I have read some posts on SM which were a bit tin foil hat in my opinion about why you shouldn't get one.

But the meter man came the other day and I told him we are getting our smart meter in a few weeks. He told me to 'do my research' I said do they cost more even if you don't switch to one of the plan? He wouldn't be drawn on it but just said look into it.

They don't cost more do they? The think I can possibly think is that a new meter might be better at recording our actual usage our 40 year old meter might have slowed down over the years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You pay X amount per KW. You are charged the same KW rate no matter what meter you have. Lots of tin foil hats out there. Some claim smart meters release radiation yet have no issues holding a mobile phone to their head. Many claimed all the trees would have to be cut down because 5G signal needs a clear line of sight. Yet I have strong 5G around most of Dublin & I haven't noticed large amounts of trees being cut down

I will say to be careful what plan you sign up to but this has nothing to do with the meter itself

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Well they could measure kva, which standard meters can't. Maybe not a lot of difference between va and watts in domestic premises. But still, not many opportunities to squeeze a few more cents out of us would be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

My annual usage gives me no reason to change from a flat rate. The small savings on night and off peak is well cancelled by the increase in day rate. On top of that you have the anxiety of any irregular daytime use, electric lawn mowers, pressure sprayers, daytime instant showers /immersion etc, being billed at prohibitive rates. Don't even mention heat pumps on a cold day. I don't want to cook my dinner after 8.00 pm, or have this rate thing playing in my head.

Charging an EV at night is about the only advantage that could swing it. If your daily motoring is average, say 60km, then you will need about 14kwh nightly to recharge (85% efficiency meter to motor, and typical EV consumption of 20kwh/100km). At 25c night rate this is €3.50, instead of close to double that at day rate at home or even more at a charge station. I don't have an EV, but I'd save little if I did. For 60km daily travel, in a C segment car, 3 litres/day diesel costs about €4.60, marginally more than the €3.50 EV charge cost at night rate, and a lot less than if I charge at a kiosk or on inflated day rate.

The utility compamies do the math to make sure you get very little advantage. Doing two or three clothes washes after 8.00, then putting them on the clothes line in the middle if the night? Nah.

And no, your old meter was deadly accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Thanks, what you've said confirms pretty much how I feel about the people telling me not to get one.

I don't think I will sign up for a plan myself. I've already worked out on my guess of our usage that it would cost us more. I WFH and go to bed about 10.30pm most nights! I will review after 12 months of having a smart meter to see if switching to a plan is worth it. But I seriously doubt it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

"I will say to be careful what plan you sign up to but this has nothing to do with the meter itself"

Well it does..... you cant get a D/N rate if you have a smart meter.

You can only get a D/N and peak rate.

Not quite true. Plenty of people on day night rate on smart meter.

If you have day & night rate before you install the smart meter then you can stay on that rate for as long as you like. They can not force you to change to smart rates. You only opt into smart rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

As it was explained to me, you cannot switch between flat rate to D/N once its installed. You have option to remain on your current plan( 24h or D/N ) or you can go for "smart".

Not sure if you can roll back to your original plan ( wether it was 24h or D/N ) once you sign up for "smart", have a feeling its one way ticket...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Surely you can't stay on a 24hr or day/nite plan forever or am I missing something obvious

I thought the majority of the idea with smart metering was smoothing the demand curve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No one is on an MCC02 day night rate on a smart meter yet.The hardware rollout to allow this (RM107 meter type) is beginning in q3 of this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

No. Its Ireland. Its all for the money.

Dont worry though they will put up the prices for people not on smart meteres soon enough to persuade them into switching over to smart meters.

If they really wanted to use smart meters for the consumer while smoothing demand then the it whould be made possible to buy your power from separate companies for each individual time period. That is how smart meters should be used.

If for example

Energia is cheapest of everyone for 2am to 9am.

Bord gais is cheapest between 10am and 7pm.

Pinergy is cheapest between 7pm and 1am.

I'll have my energy from each of those at those hours please.

Very easy job for a smart meter. But no. Instead we use smart meters to make plans so confusing to people that it does their head in and they cant tell who is actually cheaper. Even the price comparison sites are totally wrong for smart plans.

But sleeper says plenty of people are.........

Oh I know you are correct.

I'm just wondering about the "Plenty of people" that have MCC02 on the smart meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is any of that doable ? it's beyond my comprehension

What's the purpose of the smart meters

-Smooth demand curve

-Remote meter reading and disconnection

-Customer 'smart' monitoring

Just to confirm my sister was on day night meter & got a smart meter installed in January. She is still being billed day & night tariff. She is with Energia. She checked her most recent bill & is still day & night. She is only half way through her 12 month day night contract

Check her bill and it **will not** show MCC02 (day night), it will show MCC12 or MCC16 (smart). She is not on a day night tariff. She is on a smart tariff which has no peak rate. It is not the same thing.

If it were, why would there be multiple decision papers and a new meter hardware needed to bring smart meters to MCC02

I'll tell her she is a liar.

Good man yourself

• Advertisement

😁 Just tell her she is mistaken. no need to call her out

Or just read the bill and see what the MCC code is. It's not hard.

Instead of slanging each other off, can we just agree that a smart meter reads three times periods, an old day/night reads 2, and the peak day and off peak day of the smart roughly combine to the the day rate of a D/N meter. Once you go onto a smart plan, you can seperate usage out by more than the three set periods, and by day, so you get these weekend rates, or free periods, or two hours of super cheap rate in the small hours for EV/Solar battery top-up.

My last actual bill was May 2022. For some reason BGE are not issuing me with a bill, I'm in credit to 12 months level pay direct debits plus all the govt subs. I'm quids in if I do the math at flat rate, but I'm in no hurry to get them to link my smart meter to my MPRN. They know my account is smart, they won't let me submit manual reading, yet they're not collecting the meter data from esb networks. Who cares. I can stay like this till I pop my clogs for all I care.

BTW, the main purpose of smart meters, apart from time shifting demand, is to make all the meter readers guys redundant. I said a last goodbye to my rural reader last year after 20 years, they're all freelance, paid by the house, and are now driving miles to the one or two who didn't change, passing the dozens of houses on their former route.

I'm not slanging anyone, merely pointing to the facts contained in the recent decision paper on MCC02 and smart meters, necessitating a whole new meter type (RM107) vs existing smart meters (RM106) to allow the continuation of MCC02 day night rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Leaving aside your peronal "reading" situation and without slanging.

I would prefere to get proper and clear information comunicated directly from esb and not from boards members, that i do apreciate, explaining what is involved and what are my options. Instead i had recieved leaflet with some BS " how great it will be " and so common " read more on url " that lead you nowhere or to more BS " how great it will be ", yet still no options defined.

Edit: i was not checking lately, parhaps they pulled finger out and half year or more later, finaly placed links to appropriate pages with terms and options explained.

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

The only difference I see is that smart meters have an extra peak time measurement from 5pm to 7pm. Otherwise Day is 8am to 11pm, Night is the inverse. If a utility offers a plan where the 5pm to 7pm peak is charged the same as the rest of Day rate, then this smart plan is identical to a Dedicated Day/Night meter. You'd need to trawl all the utilities' plans to see if they offer that on a smart meter but....

I decided to read up some of the technical details, this apparent block on Day/Night priced smart tariff, the need for two different meters to allow a customer to be charged just two rates, not smart meters 3 minimum. It would seem utilities are prevented from offering same rate daytime tariffs, they're directed to charge more for Peak, as this is mandated by all sorts of rules and EU directives. The virtual suppliers are billed at peak for any customers on smart plans, so they're to be seen to impose that on you, though they could obviously build it into the rest of the Day rate. You can stay on flat rate,or you can have smart rates with a peak. Now they need to change the actual meter to make it record the peak as just Day, so that Day/Night customers can retain their two tariff bands, and the utility will not have a peak rate recorded against it for those customers.

I don't pretend to grasp the administrative or technical details or implementation of this, with issues like 'crossing registers' and 'non simultaneous something or other' preventing what appears to be a blindingly obvious solution, have a tariff where peak and day are the same. Just reading this 'Market change request' paper

https://rmdservice.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/MCR1225-MCCO2-Meter-Exchanges.pdf

which addresses the need for a smart meter to read Day/Night, boggles the mind. It's Pythonesque, I'd expect to see rules about tariffs depending on your brand of shoes or something.

This other boards thread is useful to help unwreck your head a bit.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058278418/meter-tariff-compatibility

I'm retired, I really can do without reading tech papers anymore, or grappling with all this bureaucracy, but we live in an era where petrol prices can jump at certain times of day (in Germany anyway), and a flight price can jump if you dare to flip to another tab, or dither too long on the one you're on. No surprise that smart meters are dumb as fk.

They are dumb as FK yes but so are the lads I see on here lapping it up.

I bet the same lads were falling over each other trying to pay for water.

If you read back on a few threads there is people bragging about getting one early 😂

I'd need to shift my life by 12 hours, sleep during the day etc. for dumb meter tariffs to make any sense. Maybe that's on the cards, you'll be required by directive to live life in shifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They send the readings at short intervals. Software can work out anything you like from that data and make any plan possible. Doesnt matter what the meter does as long as it sends those readings at short intervals.

• Advertisement

But it's much more complex than that. If it was simple, your utility provider could just implement Day/Night from Smart (Day, Peak, Night) readings by adding Peak and Day together, and charging the Day tariff for both, but they're going to be billed at a Peak rate for Peak usage because the Network provider sees all smart connections as 3 or more bands. It's to do with how ESBN read and forward the data, and how these virtual suppliers, such as BGE, pay wholsale for their customers usage. Its crazy, if we were back in the 80s, just the ESB, and no separation between it's generation arm and the consumer arm, then it would be simple, and you'd probably be back to the pre Ukraine tariffs of 25c/kwh. not the 42c+ we're all paying. Deregulation is a gougers charter sometimes, smoke and mirrors everywhere.

Advertisement