Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I listened to them both. Didn't think they were particularly good. Think rte coverage has been better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Would us be wild to think that both boards of RTE should be asked to step aside? Since they can’t be truthful and seem to be making a team effort at trying to bury this can they be trusted with doing their best for the nation going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

100 percent that should happen. Boards should resign en masse

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Firstly, you do know you can be fired or let go from your job/contract without breaking the law, right?

There may be no direct penalty, but we now know Tubridy's radio contract is up for renewal at the moment. Given the public outrage, let's say RTE decided not to go with Tubridy and we never hear from him again on RTE. Is that not a penalty in your eyes? Or are you going to engage in semantics and say "that's not a penalty for what has happened here, that's a different matter"? You yourself - when not defending him and saying there's nothing to see here - have said, and I quote "he's toast".

You have engaged in so much double-speak on this topic I feel like I'm reading 1984 at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

His grandfather was Todd Andrews, chairman of RTE. That fact is the only reason I can think of as to why RTE would keep him for their flagship program for so long. What he lacks in talent he makes up for in entitlement.

• Advertisement

The whole thing has been going on for months - they’ve been trying to angle it and messed it up royally. Thought they had all their ducks in a row

Deloitte did the FAI audit. They’re grand said John Delaney to RT. You’ll get a big pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

At a push, enforced governmental reforms and absolutely no hope of any increases to their tax payer funded hand outs in the short to medium term.

TBH, the politicians are just chomping at the bit to finally turn the tables on the people who are perpetually the thorn in their arse. Lots of big talk, lots of grandstanding but in reality RTE will shut up shop for these committees. Forbes has probably taken a big payout to be the fall guy here, it all looks very carefully orchestrated. They even intend to get Tubs back on the radio eventually. "No wrongdoing on the part of RT"

A bit like Trump, ultimately it's up to the voters to deal with him because the likelihood is the judicial system will not. For RTE, it's going to be the audience and the licence fee payer and how much noise they decide to make. Enough of a backlash, enough reputation damage and enough of a knock-on effect to their revenue streams would force change. Do I think that will happen, probably not. Most people dont pay attention and those that do often have short spans. I expect Official Ireland to carefully stage manage a show trial. Apologies will be made. New govt oversight rules will be legislated for. Maybe another 1 or 2 execs will be moved around internally and it'll be back to business as usual.

And that's your opinion, which you are entitled to.

I didn't say either or both were better than RTE's coverage btw. I do however feel it added to the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

You're right, I should add him to the ignore list.

• Advertisement

I don't think even RTE could be dumb enough to put Tubs back on air. I really don't. But we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,248 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ryan wrote a book on the JFK visit to Ireland and didn't have to pay any income tax on it. Today Liveline discussing the visit, hopefully more light can be shined on the book...

JFK in Ireland was granted tax-free status, meaning that Tubridy did not have to pay any income tax on the estimated €480,000 he earned from the book. This decision was criticised due to Tubridy's perceived wealth and the large salary he receives from RTÉ. The Revenue granted it a "favourable determination". MEP Joe Higgins said: "The fact that Ryan Tubridy is claiming the exemption is ridiculous, there is no question about that. The rule should be changed, full stop."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I wouldn’t rule out strike action at RTE if this isn’t dealt with properly TBH, a lot of the ordinary employees are seething over it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,426 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Big time. The walk out yesterday was a warning shot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Tubs window to be contrite and say return the monies or donate them to charity is now firmly closed. He and his agent chose instead to be defiant and say "nothing to do with us". It will ultimately damage both men reputationally as well as financially.

Absolutely. I said the same thing when I read Tubridy's initial response.

All I can say is, there's no price one can put on one's good name and integrity, in my opinion, so I hope he thinks it was worth it. 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Artist Exemption. Exempt from income tax (not prsi or usc) up to €50,000 of income per year.

There are some very well known names on the list of those who have claimed this over the years.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/information-about-revenue/statistics/other-datasets/artist-exemption.aspx

• The self contradiction I’ve seen in parts here is almost at a level of Tubridy’s lack of self-awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

What does this mean? How is he being paid if he currently has no contract? Why was he still doing his radio show?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm not sure as to the current status of his 2020 - 2025 contract. If it's still alive, what's the situation with unfair dismissal as it goes with contractors? If, legally, he has done no wrong, RTE are in an awkward spot possibly. Does this contract include another "exit fee" and what will that cost RTE if he walks away?

If he is out of contract now due to his sudden, unexpected need to slow down and chill out in Galway a bit more, then I suppose RTE can choose to not renew it and off he goes.

I would bet hard cash on it, that if Tubridy has even half a leg to stand on legally, he will choose to stick it to RTE in a big way if he is not reinstated in his primetime slot. The man is shameless, tone deaf and cynical. Obviously his colleagues and the audience will have a very different perspective on it, but I think Tubs himself will do a Boris Johnson, pin this on his agent, Dee Forbes whoever else and expect to regain his title as all round good egg and future president of Ireland!

Christ above. Writers/artists have it hard enough. Then there's the likes of this bollocks millionaire with a tax exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

RT's career may not be over.

The "Toyman" could be the new "PepperamiMan"

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

It seems to be a fashion thing with middle aged RTE people, moyai Doherty has the same ridiculous thick rimmed glasses along with Hugh Wallace the architect guy

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Sure Renault might want in on that they might throw in a credit note to cover it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's nothing dodgy about availing of a legal means of tax avoidance. Sure even paye workers do it by claiming tax credits, applying for refunds of medical expenses etc. Landlords write off some tax liability with expenses, CGT liability can be partially offset with expenses too, it's all above board.

It's not tax evasion and it's nothing to do with him getting underhand payments to pretend he voluntarily took a pay cut.

why would you pay a contractor if he’s not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Plenty posts mine have said exactly what he has done wrong....

None of mine saying he has done anything legally wrong, because to date that is the case.

So, put me on ignore. Throughout the whole thread you've been posting in a a very irritated way to anyone not as damning as you in their views

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Matt Cooper, Andrea Corr, John Creedon, Gordon Darcy, Christy Dignam, Joe Duffy, Keith Earls, Kelling Harrington, Michael Healy Rae, Jamie Heaslip, Mary McAleese, Mary Morrissey, Paul O'Connell, Rorys Stories, Panti Bliss, Caitriona Perry, Stefano Preissner, Lynn Ruane, Richie Sadlier, Joe Schmidt, Alan Shatter also all on the list, among many others

Ryan Tubridy also on there for 2 other books, Patrick and the President, and The First Christmas Jumper (up to €50k tax free income annually from each book)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think there's a distinction between saying legally Tubridy may have done nothing wrong - but on a reputational basis he's still finished, toast, as it were.

You can believe both things without it being contradictory IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RTE just reported that some other senior manager in RTE could not attend the PAC because he underwent a medical procedure yesterday. You'd have to wonder.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

De buke writin' is another great source of revenue for the NKM "talent". You'd be shocked at how many of these stars are also churning out a book every so often - nothing to do with tax of course, all of a great desire to share their profound thinking on a chosen subject. Joe Duffy, a man with shall I say a limited command of the English language (esp. grammar) has written 3 books no less, all of which have been heavily promoted on his own radio show - and those of his radio and TV colleagues, coincidentally most of whom are managed by NKM.

There's been some beauties from the NKM Crew book-wise, but the highlight for me was:

Guess what the sheep's name is? Hilary (after his political hero, Hilary Clinton - I'm not making that up).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement