Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

The piece in the IT was a bit all over the shop and he seems to be hinging his argument solely around the level of vacancy. The vacancy figures need more scrutiny in general as to what is actually included but I guess is McCartney's point that nothing stays the same forever and if a portion of people who hold these vacant properties decide to rent or sell combined with the ratcheting up of delivery do we pivot to oversupply quickly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

its common sense that you could re-act to any changes in the market and not just plow on regardless

this is the whole problem, the government spent 10 years just sitting on their hands, probably on purpose, while this developed

there are low vacancy levels in dublin, high in leitrim which skews his figures and in the vacant properties left in dublin, considerable effort would be needed to bring these on line in comparison even to completion of new houses. The downside of new housing is these are not necessarily getting built where people want to live.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

but it would takes years to both bring these online and to balance out the 10 years of no building

on the vanancy numbers these have been falling, the census which is the basis isn't that indicative as its not every year

but he uses a blended number which doesn't account for the fact that vacancy in dublin 2% and in leitrim its 12

it seems a mad article from a stats person to bring out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

Average and median incomes are distorted by the high end and the low end, that's why we measure average and median.

All need housing so it's quite obvious that we need seperate supply mechanisms rather than it all being left to the private sector at massive cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Also what nobody seem to point out here, is that there a lot of professional people on a good salary buying on their own. Everyone seem to mention here couples whose joint salary may be 130k, but I know two people who would be looking to buy on their own and they are not early 30.

Living the life

but the numbers on 90k or 100k is low as discussed many times previously, it makes buying on your own difficult

Maximum damage phase of the celtic tiger was 03 to 07 where house prices were not allowed to correct naturally and subsidy after subsidy after loose lending were thrown at it to prop the pyramid scheme up. The weakest buyers were herded in at the maximum price at the end leaving the collapse inevitable.

Today Ireland has decided to relax lending, increase subsidies and place more of the cost of construction on the taxpayer by reducing/eliminating development levies in a time when every country in the world at a high level is attempting to fight back on inflation

This to me seems a blatant attempt to prevent property from falling to somewhat more affordable levels

Your last paragraph is a slip in your normal quality contributions

without new homes do you think property will fall back to affordable levels?

the mistake is to let private construction dictate housing policy

this is the exact opposite of 2007

Base effects for measuring inflation will be less favourable after next month when the commodity price rise peaked as a result of the war

Globalisation effects are reversing

Lack of competition amongst banks domestically. The deposit levels at banks are back to pre covid levels so that source of cheap funding for the banks is depleting fast

Anti immigration movements

Esg discouraging investing in mining and gas oil exploration which provide the raw materials to allow for energy transition.

Global warming and more crop failures.

Wars are inflationary and detrimental to supply cgains

Many other factors just too numerous to mention. On the other side there will be global recession, but dropping rates to zero or negative will not be an option as it will stoke the inflationary fires again

• Advertisement

A house build in the eighties was F rated on present building regulations and bears little resemblance to those house at present. House were much more basic than at present

Purchased in an estate built in the late 60's early 70's. I wouldn't swap it for anything built since.

The regulations of that time was your reputation. If you did not build quality you were out of business quickly.

Today you can build crap with fire safety and water ingress issues and continue building on the same site for the state on juicy contracts while giving 2 fingers to those that purchased the crap you built earlier protected by the law

Regulations not worth the paper they are written on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This has probably been asked before, but is there any sign that banks will start offering interest on savings accounts in line with interest rates? I don't keep much money in cash, but I'd be happy enough with a 5% interest rate if it were available...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No. Not likely to change much.

Savings rates on offer by banks drive very little business, most people will not move their savings between banks even for a gain of 2-3% more as DIRT makes it not worth chasing.

A few % of rates isnt worth much if you are a small saver, however on a several 100k mortgage its worth a lot. Much more preferable for the customer that banks keep mortgage rates lower than ECB and subsidise through customer savings, than seeing mortgage rates and savings rates go up.

Ok, I'll give you a very simple example.

Consider a hyper local micro property market consisting of just 4 properties, with no demand for people to leave the area, and no demand for new people to enter the area.

Apartment A - rented by Jill, single young professional

Apartment B - owned by Jack, single young professional

Semi-D house - owned by Paddy and Mary, couple with two small kids

Detached house - owned by Dinny and Denise, couple living with 20 year old daughter

They're all happy out, nobody wants to move, they're all housed according to their needs. As everybody views the market as to what is happening right now, as far as they're concerned - all is well. The narrative is there are no problems.

Fast forward three years.

Jack and Jill are now a couple, looking to buy a house to move in together and start a family, but they cannot buy because there is nothing on the market. As far as they're concerned market is in chronic undersupply.

Paddy and Mary's kids are bigger and they want to upsize but they can't because there is nothing on the market. As far as they're concerned market is in chronic undersupply.

Dinny and Denise want to downsize to an apartment and their daughter wants to move out and start renting. But they cannot buy because there is nothing on the market, and their daughter cannot rent because there is nothing on the market. So they're stuck too, as far as they're concerned the market in chronic undersupply.

So now the narrative about the current market has moved in short order from no problem to chronic undersupply. Even though there are the same amount of people requiring to be housed and the same amount of properties in housing stock - I.e there has no increase in demand or decrease in supply to the equation that has caused this chronic undersupply.

The housing stock is perfectly adequate to house everybody according to their needs. Jack and Jill would be very happy to buy Paddy and Mary's house. Paddy and Mary would be very happy to buy Dinny and Denise's house. Dinny and Denise would be very happy to buy Jack's apartment. And their daughter would be very happy to rent Jill's apartment.

The solution is obvious but nobody can see it because they're blinded by narrative that has been caused by what's available on the market right now - nothing.

So everybody is screaming chronic undersupply, we need to build more houses, increase supply to accommodate demand, it's absurd to deny it, otherwise how do you explain why there is nothing on the market available to buy or rent.

Canny McSavvy builds two new houses and two new apartments to balance out the disparity in apparent supply demand.

Fast forward three years.

Everybody put their house on the market so they could move into Canny's new development. But as soon as they did so they discovered a problem.

There is now oversupply of two apartments and two houses. 

These are empty, languishing on the market but you cannot give them away because the market has moved into extreme oversupply. There is now more than enough supply to house everybody according to their needs, but now they're not so happy, they're in negative equity, screaming that it's not fair, where's my bailout, how did nobody see this coming?

If Canny McSavvy had listened to the data rather than narrative he would have seen there was no demand for the new builds no matter how strong the narrative seemed to be.

This is obviously a very simplistic example. But it illustrates the dangers of basing the entire narrative of the long term demand for housing stock on what is available to buy or rent on the property market right now today.

But there is an element of this happening on a huge scale in the Irish market. The data is being ignored in favour of the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Timing belt

They don’t have to go negative or to zero…. As they have headroom to cut rates if there is a recession…

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I suspect that Irish banks would prefer to keep deposit rates low so they can keep mortgage rates low, rather than have to increase mortgage rates (which they'd have to do to offset an increased deposit rate).

For both business and political reasons. Low mortgage rates helps everyone, high deposit rates is only really good for wealthy people.

The post was to give an explanation why I believe we won't see mortgage rates as low as they were early last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They didnt just sit on their hands to be fair to them. They continually brought in new legislation for rent controls and actually made it way worse. They continually interfered in the sales market too and made that worse as well.

This situation did not happen by itself and it needs to be acknowledged how much actually was caused by market interference in the worst possible ways.

Have you got a revolut account, they recently changed there brokerage provider who offer etf's that track US treasury bonds. Euro dollar very favourable at the moment also, close to 12 month highs

Be careful I would not invest over and above what is guaranteed which I think is 23k

• Advertisement

what data is being ignored?

your example is one of a broken market, broken by its size, it can never work, it makes no sense, no market can work if everyone tries to move at the same time, there's a limit on how liquid it can be

i would say its almost the worst example you could have made

the current housing market is broken by lack of supply, you can't build old houses to fix this supply issue

the rental market is also broken, you cannot find somewhere to rent

no they sat on their hands, they made no attempt to fix it, what did they did do was piecemeal attempts at alleviating the affects of it, which of course did nothing in the long term

there are certain things you can't just leave to the markets

housing is one of them

your example is one of a broken market, broken by its size, it can never work, it makes no sense, no market can work if everyone tries to move at the same time, there's a limit on how liquid it can be

i would say its almost the worst example you could have made

It's a deliberately simplistic example to illustrate a point.

It seems very obvious to me. Less so to you.

Fair enough, one of us is wrong, but I've no interest in arguing about which one of us that is.

Purely for information purposes from Rosenberg research linkedin

CNBC or Bloomberg TV. We looked at the 8 Fed cycles over the past 40 years and guess what? The total net return in the 10-year Treasury note came to +18% in the twelve months after the Fed moved to the sidelines — the median gain was +12.5%, and the worst showing was +6%! For the long bond, the average net return was +28% and the median was +15%

Can you explain the point with an example that makes sense

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but I genuinely do not understand why the example above does not illustrate the point I am making. As far as I'm concerned if the example I gave does not make sense, I cannot give another example that does make sense.

For instance, I've no idea what you mean when you say:

the current housing market is broken by lack of supply, you can't build old houses to fix this supply issue

I never suggested building old houses to fix the current lack of supply. That's nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

For the 2nd hand market to function correctly, it requires a certain level of excess property.

Im not going to list my house for sale until I find one that I can move into. The problem is what if there are no empty houses, and everyone who wants to move cannot risk selling if they mightnt find another house to buy.

this is exactly why the example doesn't make any sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

The household income you suggested was required and that was "very achievable" was 130k per year.

The median household income for FTBs, not all households, is 103k per your own data. It doesn't include "people who will never be able to buy a house" by its very definition.

A figure approaching 30% above this median income, as your "very achievable" 130k is, is statistically very much beyond the vast majority of even just FTBs.

Its an even more tiny minority of households as whole in the country, given only 10% of households earn over 90k per year, as I linked.

By any statistical measure 500k houses are not within reach for the vast majority of people, as I initially stated.

Advertisement