Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Joyce needs to be given at least another year and maybe two, he isn't blameless but is learning. I'm not sure who's out there to come in and replace him. The last two games might be a great lesson for this team and one that might stand to them down the road. Mayo supporters backing of Ryan O Donoghue in the other threads shows how blinded they are, they remind me of trump supporters. I always wondered why many don't support them to win an all Ireland but they are insufferable and long may their pain continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

It's hillarious. They have a serious s***fy for Joyce. Three days after their massive victory over us and they still giving it socks about him being at fault for our loss and hoping he stays on. I'd say they even call their sheep dog PJ... just so as at the end of each day they can give him a boot in the backside and blame him for all their woes. Gas men

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That stamp, kick whatever you call it by O Donaghue happened early in the second half, the lads knew it, that lad should have been targeted (in a nice way) and driven out over the sideline ball an all with a fair shoulder when they got their chance, it mightent be politically correct but it's a man's game out there, we've too many gentlemen footballers, we need a bit of teak if we're to make it to the top, I've heard people sayin "wait till the Dubs get him" well feck that we should fight our own battles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

All the whining about O'Donoghue and no mention of Kelly trying to act the big man against Hession. Kelly started the whole altercation.

I'm not defending O'Donoghue but the video, photos, and the reaction of Kelly all seem to point to a stamp on the toe rather than anything to do with his ankle.

Not sporting, not nice, don't like seeing players do it, but not a the crime of the century or anything close to a sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

For starters, you might tell Sean Kelly it's a mans game. He'd want to spend a little more time in the gym,

• Advertisement

Make up you mind, you are not defending him But......

I actually think some in mayo would love to see Joyce gone as they fear he's building a team that will win an all Ireland with a bit of luck on their side that they didn't get this year with injuries. It won't be long and they'll be calling for Mcstays head and looking for Horan back again.

I'm not defending him at all.

All I'm saying is that I think he stood on his toes - a cowardly act - and that Kelly was targeting Enda Hession in his own way too - to be honest I wish all that crap was eliminated from the game.

Ideally both players should have been given a yellow and be done with it. As a ref if you see the altercation, or are notified of it, you can't punish O'Donoghue and not punish Kelly.

He went for his ankle and everyone knows it. It wouldn't be the first time a mayo forward missed his target.

You have absolutely no way of knowing what his intentions were. All we know is that he didn't get his ankle because if he did Kelly would have had a very different reaction and wouldn't have ran up the field directly afterwards.

I wouldn't go too heavy of the forward jokes - Galway's forwards haven't been great shakes, with one or two expectations, for the best part of 20 years. There were even a few horrific misses from dead balls on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Pushing & shoving and squaring up goes on all the time. Stamping is the act of a thug. But then again it was ROD...showed his class again at final whistle bawling in Mahers face. An absolute role model to all the young bucks

And you have some imagination if you think it was his TOE he stamped on

No imagination needed - the photos show ROD's foot on Kelly's toe. Not one video or photo shows contact with his ankle.

Kelly was doing more than pushing and shoving as well. No need for that sort of carry on in the game - doesn't show class either.

Is diving trying to get an opposing player sent off something a role model to young bucks should be engaging in too?

Post edited by WesternZulu on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

In fairness, id argue that this is exactly what odonoghue was doing to kelly when kelly himself was trying to bully a noticeably lighter fella in hession on his introduction... If kelly wants to dish it out, and ye are ok with that, then you have no grounds for complaint when someone gives him a little warning back. He was completely fine afterwards and played on so common sense would indicate that a warning was all it was. If his ankle was that bad and if rod had wanted to, he could have inflicted far more damage if that was his goal.

Personally I was fine with rod's reaction. It is the type of bite we have been missing. It fairly stopped the tough guy act also.

Miss their target eh? Talk about stepping on a rake...

Time to move on anyway at this stage. Sometimes you just have to take your beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Trying to equate a bit of pushing and shoving which goes on ALL the time in every single game in the country, rightly or wrongly, with a deliberate targeting of an opponent's injured body part is the height of moral cowardice. Just call it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

I'm on the fence about Joyce getting another year considering what transpired the last 2 days out. I thought he improved last year and took no bull but it's seem he has taken a step back like McDaid should be midfield and move lads around him, his team selection were really odd, burke never got going but kept playing him, Walsh waltzing onto the team unfit and not sharp, whilst he dogged heaney and teirney all year who peaked during league and had poor championship. Forward play was slow and pedestrian

It wasnt a bit of pushing and shoving though. He was deliberately targetting a smaller guy over and over in a bid to intimidate him. Nothing had happened previously as the guy had just come onto the field, he just decided he was going to bully him and wouldnt let it go. Personally, id class that as cowardice myself. He fairly scarpered when someone picked out his weakness like he was doing to hession. Again, there is your cowardice. Maybe odonoghue should have returned the favour and instead of letting him run off, hold on and keep kicking at it like he was doing to hession?

I have no issue with rods actions. It his ankle couldnt take the light contact that it was given then he shouldnt have been on the field at all. If you want to dish it out you have to be able to take it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I think PJ has flaws but regardless he will get another season minimum. He's had plenty of time to correct the slow kickouts with management, he is also a slow to adapt tactics/make changes during matches and I think the side mentally/physically are burnt out too often in the last 10 minutes of games. I'm also not a huge fan of the mouthing his does in post-match interviews as it does the team no good.

That being said he's had an amount of misfortune this year. Lost Silke to travel, lost Molloy to a cruciate, had a tough draw in the group, had our two best players injured for the defining game of the season, toughest possible prelim draw and also had a very important player in Walsh allegedly playing through injury since his return from the Kilmacud campaign that caused him to be far from his usual match fitness. None of that excuses the performance against Mayo in the second half. Better team won overall and with the wides Mayo hit first half we were lucky to be up by as much as we were at HT.

I think we're all fairly clear that in 2022 we had a huge amount of luck with the lack of injuries and management need to be a bit more ruthless to be able to deepen the matchday panel. Lads like Hernon, Culhane, Fitzgerald etc aren't going to immediately be at the level of the more senior contemporaries but they've all enough potential to be. I think McGrath has been a find and a half, Maher had an impressive breakthrough season and I was very happy with Cooke. We need to be more ruthless though instead of persisting with the likes of Ian Burke, Tierney etc when they're going through bad spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Advertisement

Cillian o C you are talking about diving I take it

No Saint Sean Kelly against Monaghan in the league.

Not much of a role model for young bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Belladonna44

Why is this thread full of Mayo posters? If I wanted to read that guff (and I don’t) I’d go to the Mayo thread, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bike2wkr

Id stick with him. He's brought a good team spirit. And has unearthed alot of talent. It's not easy competing at top level. They'd be in last 8 if they got the paperwork right before Armagh game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭elefant

A back needling and pulling off the ball is annoying, and we'd all be better off without it in the game.

You have to laugh at it being called 'bullying ' though. It wasn't 6th class vs 5th class at lunch time. I'd say Hession would be raging to be made out to be that much of a baby by his own supporters.

If you say anything remotely negative towards Mayo in the Mayo thread their band of mayo mods immediately ban you. It's only for those who believe in Santa, leprechauns and that Mayo will win an all Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You're awful bitter, Cruiser. Even on this page alone, the first thread has you comparing Mayo people to Trump and wishing for us to feel more pain. And the last thread on the page has you mocking that we believe in Santa and leprechauns.

Why the anger? And the bitterness? It is only a football match. I'm sure Galway will come good again. The players are there. If it was Galway through to the quarters, I would be hoping they would go on to win it outright. Was in Croke Park last year with Galway colours hoping they would beat Kerry. Maybe you live near the border, and the rivalry may be a little more intense. I don't know. But seriously, you should try to reign in that level of anger. It is not good for your health.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Taken with camera phone

If you are looking for examples of bitterness dip back into the Mayo thread, it's full of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Lovely, more Mayo-Galway counter WUMing. Just what the thread needed.

Advertisement