Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How does that fix any of the obvious problems - DUP/TUV intransigence?

All the parties bar the DUP/TUV signed up to the GFA and have operated it for 25 years.

You may have to confront just who has blocked the operation of the GFA processes over the 25 years, who is STILL blocking rights and reforms and normalisation etc here.

How do you get these two parties (DUP and TUV) to sign up to a greater role for the Irish government for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I agree it is very hard to measure. Please don’t attack me here but it is my perception that Ireland / the Irish hold themselves in very high regard around their eg hospitality, friendliness, craic, etc. As well as stereotyping themselves positively, they often stereotype others negatively, particularly the English, and on here the northerners or the prods. Many don’t have much regard for travellers etc.

so I think they are just ‘very ordinary’. I think we don’t have much but perception. I my experience, no one comes close to Muslim families for hosting the stranger/visitor. I was just watching a news item a couple of weeks ago around racism in ni. The person interviewed had move from Dublin and was complaining about racism. He said it was more subtle here and more rovers and in your face in Dublin, but existed in both.

we only need to read this forum to see that people are more interested in eg defending the religious bells or the partisan flags at all-island teams, than to look at reaching out and learning.

Mon a positive ireland has made an impressive journey from being probably the most exclusive, mono cultural place in Europe, to reach a ‘very ordinary’ place in European countries.

we only need to read this forum to see that people are more interested in eg defending the religious bells or the partisan flags at all-island teams, than to look at reaching out and learning.

You cannot even reach out and grasp the facts about the long since non any particular religion call to prayer or the facts around the incredible work Irish Rugby has done to be inclusive and reach out to what is by far and away the majority of those who identify as British. As seen in the massive Northern Irish support for the Irish rugby team.

You want to continue to spout falsehoods and sit sullenly in your minority positions on this stuff, that's sad, but fine.

Work away., the people of this island will move on without you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They don't need to sign up to a reformed GFA, the two governments can impose it on the children of the two main sectarian parties.

Think about it, if we had majority government, the Alliance Party would be in power permanently, picking between which of the two sectarian parties is being less childish after each election.

Again your knowledge of real politik is alarming.

The governments have imposed on the executive and still we have the DUP blocking and vetoing.

Reform of the GFA is needed, everyone is in favour of that bar the two parties who haven't signed up to it - the DUP and the TUV.

Please deal with the reality and stop making stuff up about things that are 'obvious'. Reform of the GFA will not fix the primary issue.

• Advertisement

Of course it will, if the DUP can no longer block the Assembly (or Sinn Fein repeat their three-year long antics for that matter), then the primary issue will be sorted, and both parties will be stuck. They could of course boycott the Assembly, but would have no practical effect.

Everyone want reform, and it is being blocked by the DUP and TUV, right now at the moment.

The DUP/TUV will say they have a mandate for that and the other Unionist party, despite their efforts failed to make any inroads into that mandate.

What the hell do you think will happen if the 2 governments try to impose reform?

Get real here. Deal with the real politik not some fantasy place in your head.

?

So you accept the DUP veto then?

If you support the right of the DUP to a veto on future arrangements, you should oppose my proposal. If you reject the right of the DUP to a veto on future arrangements, why are you raising it as an issue with my idea?

It appears like you are only against the DUP veto when it blocks Sinn Fein, but if the Irish government or the Alliance Party come along with ideas, the DUP are fully entitled to veto.

FFS

The DUP are vetoing. Continually and since the GFA.

Can you deal with reality?

Obviously not. All you want to do is make it about the Shinners.

I think you’ll find if you add up all the time dup have vetoed the functioning of the assembly and add up the time sf have vetoed the functioning of the assembly, I think the dup are still not even halfway there. But hey, this is history again.

going forward, if the dup get some of the changes they seek then the assembly will be up and running again. Democracy is a bollocks, isn’t it

• Advertisement

🤮 this is the lady who attended a funeral of 2,000+ people in the middle of lockdown, putting the ‘tireless’ nurses under increased pressure. Now she say if the assembly was back they’d be fine. Catch yourself on Michelle

Nonsense again.

SF walked out of the coalition over something the coalition could fix. They fixed it a year later only for the belligerents in the DUP to block it…AGAIN.

The DUP are holding the people to ransom over something the Executive can’t fix. Evidence? Who have the DUP submitted their ransom to?

Clue: It is not the Executive.

Add to that all the rights and agreed legislation the DUP have blocked and vetoed and Petitioned of Concerned and your version of ‘history’ looks like the fantasy it is.

I think you are telling porkies francie. Why did the shinners walk out?

They wanted Foster to stand aside and when she wouldn’t their frustration with the years of DUP blocking of things already agreed and rights available to everyone on these islands (a border in the Irish Sea when it suits their fundamental beliefs they foist on everyone) boiled over. They did what is acceptable in any democracy anywhere, they left the coalition.

Westminster made the WF law, did the DUP walk out of Westminster? No they held the people of NI hostage.

That behaviour won’t work in a UI, which will make it attractive to those who are fed up in the north. ‘DUP doing Sinn Fein’s work’ as Doug Beattie said today

Francie try dealing with the question I asked.

you said “SF walked out of the coalition over something the coalition could fix. They fixed it a year later”

I am asking what was it that SF walked out of the coalition over that sf fixed a year later? I am really curious? You wouldn’t be telling porkies again would? Just tell us. It’s that simple.

They walked because Arlene Foster would not stand aside and frustration with continued DUP intransigence and blocking.

All of it could have been resolved within the Executive. A year later they did a deal on rights, which was welched on again.

The two PM’s were even on their way when it was welched on. You will probably shoot the messenger again but it’s all in here:

Francie try dealing with the question I asked. 

you said “SF walked out of the coalition over something the coalition could fix. They fixed it a year later”

I am asking what was it that SF walked out of the coalition over that sf fixed a year later? I am really curious? You wouldn’t be telling porkies again would? Just tell us. It’s that simple.

Not playing your games.

I put an answer there with back up from a respected journalist and his sources.

If you have something to say, say it.

Here’s some more back up - Adams saying it was the RHI scandal AND their ‘attitude to powersharing’ that caused the walkout.

In a statement this evening Mr Adams said Mr McGuinness had taken "decisive action" as a result of DUP's "handling of the RHI scandal and attitude to power sharing."

"In spite of the provocation, disrespect, and arrogance from the DUP and the failures of the British government to fulfil its responsibilities over that time, Martin McGuinness has always put the people and the political process first," he said.

“This is in contrast to the DUP who have been acting to undermine equality and partnership.

I think you are being exposed, again. You said “SF walked out of the coalition over something the coalition could fix. They fixed it a year later”

what was it that SF walked out of the coalition over that sf fixed a year later?

Its a pretty simple question.

I already answered. If it’s not the answer you want then that is your problem.

I also backed up what I claimed.

• Advertisement

It’s not difficult francie. It would do your credibility the world of good. Just a few words and you can even number the answer 1& 2

1) what did SF walk out of the coalition over, that they could fix?

2) when did they fix it (a year later)?

You are reading what I said wrong.

I said, they walked out over something the coalition could fix(see above) RHI and not powersharing properly, continued blocking of rights etc.

They (the coalition of SF and the DUP) fixed it a year later via negotiation, see Eamonn O’Mallie) only for the DUP backroom boys to welch again.

Make your point. Not playing anymore.

Francie. I am bored of your avoidance. I am confident it is plain for all to see.

Well I haven’t a clue what you think you have shown here. Perhaps some of these others might be forthcoming.

I suspect you read the original comment wrong thinking I said ‘SF fixed’ when I clearly said ‘they’ (the coalition) fixed it via negotiation and you are now saving face.

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

For what it's worth, this is how I think the UK governement will conduct negotiations on a UI.

Unionists will make submissions in secret of what they would want in the event of a successful UI vote and the British will act as proxy for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Depends on which party is in power. I think that Labour will have a tin ear for Unionists.

Labour will be very against the SNP and Scottish independence, on the other hand.

We get it.

When Sinn Fein bring down the Assembly, they are shining lights of purity.

When the DUP brings down the Assembly, they are sectarian sewer-dwellers.

Boring, predictable and completely inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

But what is completely accurate is that bringing down the NI institutions because of what the NI institutions are doing is materially different, and much easier to justify, than bringing down the institutions because of what Westminster is doing.

People pointing to SF's actions to defend or justify the DUP's are basically admitting that they have no credible defence/justification to offer. Which is probably not the impression they are trying to create.

Nobody has said this either blanch.

Invention again to try stir the pot.

The Assembly cannot give the DUP what they want = fact. See where the DUP submitted their demands, it was not to the Assembly. They are holding the people hostage.

The Assembly could deliver everything SF wanted = fact. Once SF agreed a deal with their coalition partner that met their requirements they were prepared to go back in.

The two situations are therefore not the same.

For the record I think it was a mis-step for SF, they should have stayed in and held the DUP's feet to the flame IMO. But that doesn't mean that they didn't have the right that every coalition partner has anywhere. Your own Greens did exactly what SF did here, for instance.

• Advertisement

I have not attempted to defend or justify the DUP's actions so you can take me out of that category.

My argument is for amendments to the GFA by both governments over the heads of the two childish actors in the North to ensure that the Assembly cannot be brought down for whatever reason.

Finally, if someone is trying to discern and differentiate between what Sinn Fein and the DUP have done in bringing down the Assembly, they are basically defending Sinn Fein's actions, which is probably not the impression they are trying to create.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement