Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Gabriel 3 Arena Sunday 25th June 2023

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭niallpatrick

When people mention Peter Gabriel there is only one thing I can do and thats tube Genesis 'I know what I like'. All I'm saying is Lady ga-ga is lauded as an interpretive 'genius' of music and theatre. Newsflash peter gabriel was doing it before she was born!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Repeat: the backing band were terrible.

Flat and pedestrian with the funk, sensitivity, edge and joy of the original numbers just sucked out of them.

I'm obviously not at Glastonbury but FFS Lizzo's backing band on last night's BBC broadcast were miles better than PG's band tonight and I don't say that lightly.

It was a scam at those prices for what we got in return, he's not as special as he's made out to be and that's all I have to say TBH.

Edit one last addition: Everyone's also forgetting him and his band f*cking off stage for a break from 9pm to 930!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Videos of the gigs have been on youtube since the tour started, you could have seen what you were going to and flogged your tickets (likely at a profit) at anytime leading up to it, hell even gigs from years ago on YouTube show exactly what he’s like live and how he’s looked for the last 20+ years.

You are the one who’s paid a shitton for the tickets and went, there’s been plenty of time to avoid buyer’s remorse since they went on sale.

And as to the religion thing, put up or shut up, spell it out here cos otherwise it’s coming across very Facebook conspiracy theory’ish

And yes, there was a break! Again, the slightest bit of research would have told you this, setlist.fm has it detailed since gig#1 of the tour, several reviews pointed it out. You still got a 150 min 22 song gig.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Brilliant show and worth every single cent. Note to Mrs Shuttleworth, maybe if you buy tickets on time you will pay less! We paid 123 each for perfect seats in Block C and there were tickets going for 86 when they first came out so if you have an issue then take it up with Ticketmaster or consider being more organised for your next gig.

Peter was in top form and the whole band were brilliant. I enjoyed every part of it, the set was fantastic, sound was brilliant and the crowd also played their part and really got into it. Enjoyed the mix of songs, the new ones fitted in nicely with the older stuff. There was one song in the second half that I didn't know but really enjoyed and all the old classics sounded as good as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I am long time fan who has seen Peter live on quite a few shows. Mentioning his weight is just silly and has nothing to do with his performance, he sang as good as ever and was constantly moving on stage. I got pre-sale tickets from the PG sale and was in the very first row of the tiered seating and the sound was perfect. His band, Tony Levin, David Rhodes & Manu Katche are all incredible musicians and were on top form last night. It sounds to me people were upset from the onset at the price they paid for their tickets and were never going to enjoy the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Peter Gabriel is totally up his own arse and wildly overrated and no one seems to have the guts to tell him.

why did you pay €175 to see him then?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,114 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He was actually off stage for no more than 18 minutes (my photos are all time-stamped!). Not bad when you consider he was on stage for 157 minutes in total. Yes there was quite a bit of narrative, but this is Peter Gabriel and you need to sign up to that if you want to see him. And yes the visuals are a large part of his show

I enjoyed the show. Yes he's 73. I've seen better acts/performers in their 70s (Roger Daltrey is 79 and Pete Townsend 78 when I saw them give a brilliant performance on Friday), and I've seen one or two in their 80s. I've seen over 20 singers who were older than Gabriel. Some are still capable of performing at the highest level, others are past their best but still worth watching.

I last saw him 35 years ago, and yes I think he was better then. but equally I think he has aged well.

Anyway, here's another couple of photos from last night

Snarky Snark Snark

I'd have pegged the intermission at 15 mins, quick wee, grab bottle of water and back with about 5 mins to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭fafy

Great gig, so enjoyed it, as is usual, a chunk of humanatarianism, and justice content, loved the band and backing singer. New tracks blended in seamlessly.

was in Block A, row 1, but managed to do some walkabouts, around to the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

That's just not true because my ticket was 123 euro for a seat half way up Block G.

Given you don't know how much the tickets were for a gig you were allegedly at, I'll leave it here.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

to be fair, the prices were all over the shop with ticketbastard doing their platinum pricy, legally vetted by the law firm Duey, Fleecem and Howe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Piquet

I really enjoyed the gig. One small gripe. I was at the front of Block K, fairly central and the lights at the bottom of the "backdrop" for want of a better expression were blindingly bright at times. Apart from that, it was a great night. Does anyone know is there an "encore" CD being brought out, like on previous tours?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

What a load of contrarian drivel 😂. The show was incredible, up there with some of the very best I've seen both musically and visually. Band sounded brilliant - punchy and fresh particularly on the new songs. Gabriel's voice has lost none of it's power and purity. Loved the shoutout to Mary Robinson and the rest of the pre-song chat. I'll take Gabriel's forward thinking positivity over negative and personalized body shaming sh*te like this "review" any day.

Oh, and what's with the exaggeration of the ticket prices? Expensive yes (worth every cent if you ask me) but not to the ridiculous extents you're claiming. Axe to grind much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

I’ve only seen Peter Gabriel live 3 times and each show has been a triumph. He is an artist in every sense of the word, incorporating stunning visuals with perfect renditions of songs spanning 5 decades.

Icon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

This sounds like it was written by the promoter / his record company. Almost three months later and I'm still remembering this "gig" for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It was a great gig I've listened to an audience recording several times since the gig. I think allot were disgruntled because it wasn't a greatest hits show. The ending Boko was just fantastic.

Snarky Snark Snark

I'm still remembering your original comments below and the fact you've provided absolutely **** all proof of this "religion" that apparently all the artists of different backgrounds from around the world are attuned into. Also the "religion (that believes there's a Supreme Being watching all over us)" sounds like every bloody religion man has imagined up since the dawn of time including the catlick religion

"Most of his numbers fell flat, the visuals (I admit to bias here) were peppered throughout with images related to a batshit crazy minority religion (that believes there's a Supreme Being watching all over us) and when he started prattling on about "the Elders" and how they're all making decisions on behalf in our best interests I just totally wrote him off after that.

And he himself looks horrible: bloated, fat, no stage presence. "Sledgehammer" was delivered like wedding karaoke. "Big Time" and "Solisbury Hill" were reduced to conventional radio tat of the likes of One Republic and Maroon 5 with the funk and magic sucked out of them."

So c'mon, put up or shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Yours sounds like it was written by a hateful prick with an axe to grind and a bit of idiotic paranoid conspiracy theory thrown in. People loved the gig. Get over it.

The i/o tour commenced in the States this week and is going down well which is not a surprise with such a great show. Just waiting on the full album release now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

He's released 9 tracks off it already, presumably 3 left for the remaining months of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I think Peter must have left an unwanted child here back in the 80s/90s, it's the only way to explain some utterly daft posts I'm seeing here.

He has indeed and all tracks in three different mixes, hopefully it will get a physical atmos release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I/O is officially released to critical acclaim. It's amazing to me that this is his first original album in 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Number one album in the UK.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

Advertisement