Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BE /Trailer licence, have you it to pull a trailer behind a jeep/van/car???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

And on on the trailer license question, where does the Insurance come in? I thought that to be full covered by your insurance, you had to have the correct license category when towing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

You would have to. Lots of people in very dodgy territory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

My RAV is rated to pull 2000 kgs.

30 ish years ago there was only 3-4 classes of liciences

A. Motorbike

B. Tractor

C. Car

D truck. AFAIK.

In the early 90's we standardized to the EU liciences. In the transfer process you were entitled to transfer categories to the new category type.

There was never a requirement for you 90 year old father or grandfather to sit a BE liciences. He originally sat a C test ( if it was required he may have been from a time when there was no requirements to sit such a test) and transfered his entitlements to the new liciences.

To retain that license for the last 20 ish years he has had to provide a medical certificate to renew. I be questioning his GP if he signed the cert and your father in a wheel chair not the system.

Slava Ukrainii

Not at all. Just do the test. It couldn't be easier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

For those on provisionals you need to have a full be licensed person in the seat beside you. Taking to someone who had a small tip, guards called due to traffic, up a sh1t creek now as insurance won't stand over it due to no driver beside them on the Garda report. €1500 would have sorted it, now it's looking like at least an extra 0 to be added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

Not doubting the easiness of it but if you decide to get a BE you'll be waiting 9 months before you can even apply to sit a test. It's an absolute joke.

Better to be in the ladder,than thinking about putting a step on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

"Great Country"..... if they brought out a change tomorrow requiring everyone to go get the test retrospectively there'd be some uproar from the same "Only in Ireland" crowd. The grey voters would quickly do away with a government that would attempt to bring mandatory in testing for 75+ brigade.

Currently, as a retired truck / Bus driver I have all categories. But later this year, my license is due for renewal, and I don't think that I will go for the full license again as I do not plan on driving anything other than a passenger car in future. However as I use a small trailer ( 6 x 4 single axle) I want to keep whatever category I will need for that. any advice is more than welcome. Thanks

If you have the BE already, keep it. You never know when you might pull a larger trailer or load.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got the test as have to move cattle and horses for work quite a bit. Easy as pie to pass, only issue is the wait at the minute I imagine.

Just make sure to say it to the person renewing that you want to keep the be I'd imagine should be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I keep the BE however of you keep that you will be able to keep the rest.

It's a professional driver license and you will need a medical certificate for it. Get it filled out sone time you visit the doctor. The BE is a 5 year liciences however you get a 10 year fir the B part

It's not that easy you need to renew it with the medical report. However you only need the medical report every 10 years to keep it on your liciences. If you are using it as in towing you would need to renew it every five years

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

That's totally incorrect.... You do not require a medical report for a BE licence, and it runs for 10 years, the same as a standard car licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

Just check to make sure that you have the BE category on your current licence. You are entitled to have it if you passed an artic test. Then, when you're renewing your licence, make sure they add it again to the new one.

Thanks to you all for your input. I'll just go for the BE license I think, seems the simplest option, and once I can tow with my 6 x4 2 wheel trailer, I'm happy. Thanks again all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Do you need a northern adress to apply for northern liscense ,where did you get this info .

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭straight

Ya the test is grand to do but it's a bit of a money racket. It cost me nearly 500 euro when I'd it a few years ago. Theory test, provisional licence, couple of lessons, test, renew driving licence. Not to mind the cost of my own time.

Just as an update on this for anyone who might be interested - I now have my BE. 

It went like this:

I had a regular B licence but I had to do sit the standard B theory test because it didn't exist when I got my B licence. This was quite easy and I did a bit of revision and flew through it. i did this in January. Then I applied for my learner permit (AKA provisional licence).

You must have your permit for 6 months before you can apply for the driving test. 

Applied for the test in June and was put on a waiting list to formally apply for the test. Was invited to properly apply at the start of August and did so - was given a test date at the start of Sept.

I got a total of 4 lessons, each an hour long. I found these were essential. A very experienced trailer driver might get away with fewer lessons but I don't drive trailers particularly often so I definitely needed tuition. In particular I needed to learn to reverse the trailer competently using my mirrors - I always just used to look over my shoulder or out the window! I got good general tips for reversing the trailer and found that the lessons were also useful for tightning up on any bad habits one might have from driving for years without any instruction - coasting and use of mirrors and all that.

I also had to tighten up on the Q & A for before the test - stuff the examiner asks like 'what is a clearway' and 'when can you use your horn' etc.

The test itself is fine. It is exactly like a regular car test, except you don't do the turnabout on the road. i found it to be more relaxed than a car test but maybe this is because I've been driving for years. The BE test has a much higher pass rate - I was told around 80%. You do have to reverse the trailer around a fairly tight corner using your mirrors and from my point of view I found this to be the thing I had to work on the most. I'm much better at it now.

Costs: 

Theory test €45

Apply for learner permit €35

Lessons 4 lessons at €90 / hr and I used the driving school's jeep and trailer for the test which also cost €90 so total of €450

Driving test €85

Driving licence €35

Total cost €650

Well worth doing for peace of mind, and also (in my case anyway) vastly improved trailer handling ability.

The wait is a bit of a drag but what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

You do have to reverse the trailer around a fairly tight corner using your mirrors and from my point of view I found this to be the thing I had to work on the most. I'm much better at it now.

I assume a turning the head would be an automatic fail?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭jd06

You can stick your head out if u want if your reversing around your drivers side

Reversing the other side you have to use the mirrors

For me at this stage anyway, being used to driving Artics, where the mirrors are all you have, its a doddle in a car. Only difference is that in a truck, the mirrors are massive compared to a car, and you have more of them. That makes it far easier. Plenty of practice is all you need. On mart days here, on Fridays, you can see plenty of farmers reversing double and treble axle trailers with 4 x 4's, no bother to them, and the entrance to the mart is on the side of the street, with traffic passing each way all the time. So they drive past the entrance, get the trailer lined up, and reverse back and around the entrance into the mart itself, no problem. One of the best drivers I've ever seen used to drive a truck-trailer rig ( very common on the continent, but almost exclusively used for livestock here in Ireland) Given that he had to access Farmyards all over the place, and some of them not being exactly big vehicle friendly, he was one talented driver, for sure the best I've seen. Any Truck Trailer drivers on here? If you had any towing questions, they would be the ones to ask.( for HGV Towing anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Everything is a money racket now (and probably always was) and in general people don't kick up enough of a stink about new quangos etc multiplying like bacteria snd becoming a self perpetuating drain on their finances

I bring a van for a test and "inspector" a snot nosed surly git looking like he barely got out of his pre teen patchy beard phase and about as communicative as a disgruntled teenager says it fails on a crack in tail light (plastic) and lights not focussed

Grand I think, I'll replace the tail light, which is working fine btw and needs the entire unit replaced (another racket and wasteful too....they should be a small bit of plastic that doesn't cost the earth ....I meant that both ways btw seeing as we are so environmrntally conscious) in fairness maybe water leaks in and shorts the light etc

But I had the temerity to enquire after reading the report where it mentioned dip beam....was it too low or too high...no response..I tried another tack, what standard or criteria do you use so I can raise or lower the beams? Ie: should it be 20 metres back from a wall and lights should illuminate 0.5 m upwards or something along those lines etc etc

I could fix it if you could provide some sort of guidance on what you want, why make me go looking for the standard? The van btw has been on the road for a year, I can't see an issue with the dips, they work perfectly and not a single oncoming vehicle has flashed that they are too high so I can only assume they are too low...I looked for guidance in an old rules of the road and a YouTube video and according to both they are fine .....yer man was having a bad day and hand over the money **** was my conclusion

So that's about 160 ish for test incl a retest fee which is a total lark for something that can be "inspected" in 2 minutes....

Around 170 for the light unit and time and labour (which I'll supply) and diesel/wear and tear to fit and drive the thing back to the thick aggressive knobjockeys...

And thats replicated across all areas of life....

People in general are way too likely to take the easy option and sing dumb when a lot of these things are in the pipeline.....and they get what they deserve as a collective

You can complain too much or not enough ... its hard to get it right but maje no mistake as a consumer/citizen you are a cash cow to be milked at every opportunity and they want you on lean pasture as much as possible to boot

Life is a subscription model unless you are lying up on the state.

I assume a turning the head would be an automatic fail?

You can turn your head no problem (and I did) but with a LWB jeep without rear side windows and a big box trailer on the back you don't see much. it's actually much easier to gauge if the trailer is aligned with the kerb by using the mirrors. You can also 'shunt' (i.e. drive forward a bit to line the trailer up again) in the test and it's not an issue. You can also go as slowly as you need to.

A great tip I got in the lessons for the reverse around the corner was if you find the trailer is turning either too much or not enough - rather than chasing it around trying to correct it (which is what I was doing)... instead just actually stop moving, apply full steering lock to correct and move back slowly. This immediately corrects the turn without running out of road. This might come instinctively to someone for drives with a trailer a lot but I had taught myself and don't do it very often!

The tester will step out of the vehicle when you are doing the reverse around the corner.

Excellent post by @Van Doozy on the costs. I did the test 20 months ago, 3 lessons with Jeep and van hire for the test was just under €300. Having a few lessons I found was very helpful to get the tips and tricks to tidy up for the day

For reversing a trailer, be it car or artic, you have to have both perfectly in line, then slowly start reversing, using only the mirrors. If the trailer starts to move out of line, say to the left, then turn the steering wheel slightly to the left. and then back again when the trailer straightens up again. Slowly slowly is the secret, And if you practice this, then you will quickly learn how to control it and move it whenever and where ever you want, even in tight spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Most people are sheep and will pay up. Its a money racket, just like everything nowadays. I had to get rid of the jeep a few years back, no trailer license, the jeep cost a fortune to run then another fortune to get through the doe every year. I just use the tractor now, no requirement for a trailer license, can use green diesel,and i don't give a fook anymore if theirs a mile long tailback behind me on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmertipp

is it tipp town mart you are talking about? some dose getting cattle in there but great place to sell.

Yes. Thats the one!! A beauty. They had another one a long time ago.. but LIDL have it now. Still, better that the days when there was no marts, and the dealing was done on the side of the street. I remember them days too. The next door Neighbours were cattle dealers, and as a kid I went along with them. Buy the time I was 11 or 12 I had travelled most of Munster. I remember minding cattle for them on a mart day. The wheeling and dealing, spitting on the palms, the "make the deal" middleman. The drinking, and occasional fighting that ensued. And of course, the monumental clean up afterwards.

• Advertisement

Advertisement