Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Himself and Noel and lying back feet up with ice cold beers shooting the breeze I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was denied by some of those on the RTE side that this had anything to do with him leaving the LL, as far as I can remember the CFO categorically denied it. Officially this is probably the case, but the timing does seem awfully coincidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

A Golden oppertunity to put these “stars” out to grass. RTEs managment from the top down are delusional. We dont need or want them - maybe with the exception of our long serving news readers and journalists.

I can see it now

Agent: Ryan wants more money!

RTE: no

Agent : he will Leave and so will a few others

RTE: oh no the people Ireland would freak. Society as we know it would break down. Name your price - and whatever you do don’t take cathrine Thomas away. Or the ginger Sous chef who goes on like he he has 12 Michelin stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,465 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I can't answer the question.

However I'm 99% sure Ryan did an interview earlier in 2023 and it sounded like he had no intention of leaving.

Then all of a sudden it was announced he was finishing.

I didn't hear of any reason given but lots of speculation about him going for president.

First people really heard of it was that statement last week.

However, I do wonder did any of the RTE staff have any idea what was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

This is the problem. The "stars" in reality could walk of RTE tomorrow and it would make f**k all difference. They could close down 2FM tomorrow morning and it would make no difference.

It seemed towards the end they agreed they are over paying everyone but nothing about how they would change that, to me this was just another meeting. Take a bit of a kicking, f**k off and do nothing. Like the guy said about the meeting in April which they took loads of actions and f**ked off and done nothing.

The CFO saying he had no knowledge to turn around then and say he did, plus wouldn't give the date when he knew was totally ridiculous and confirms they tipped off Tubs before his shock retirement. Well in my opinion, or why else lie about it multiple times?

Nothing will change, the lady trying to say about all the change they have implemented, baffling!! place is as corrupt as it ever was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

RTE Board Chair Siun Ni Raghallaigh appears on RTE news last week and forgets to mention that Dee Forbes has been suspended .

Then today admits towards the end of the committee hearing that she requested Dee Forbes to resign on June 16th - contrast that to her answer at the beginning of the hearing of 'accepting ' Dee Forbes resignation.

For some reason though there is an attempt by some politicians and some media to paint an image that Siun has no responsibility yet is setting the same tone that is the core issue in this controversy .

The question is why ?

It really does feel like a watershed moment for RTE. Interesting times ahead ...

They can't really just continue without making some significant changes and probably need a major reality check.

This is a small media market, the size of one UK television region. The salleries seem out of keeping with that reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

RTE needs to let these stars walk, let them see for themselves what they're worth in the real world.

When the "big threats" in UTV and Channel 4 laugh at them they'll gladly come back with their tails between their legs and work for 100k p/a.

Although, with a bit of luck and actually trying, RTE might actually find replacements with real star power and charisma delighted to get a break and work for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

They're all playing dumb on the board. Siun in particular is trying to act cute and frail. Gave it the whole shaky voice at the start. But there are major holes in her account of events. The whole thing is so arrogant. How do they expect people to believe this stuff? Simply, they don't respect or care for who is being ripped off or what people believe. They just want to look after their share of the pie.

Your one's incredulous face at someone suggesting being invited to an international rugby match by a sponsor or company is a perk says it all.

Of course, it's a perk. It's an expensive treat to a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Im sure every TV and Radio station in the World is banging the door down for Lottie etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Omg. 27 pages of posts to catch up on since this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yeah, that's how it works.

or Terry Wogan: He was reported to be the highest paid BBC radio presenter at one time in his career, in 2006, with an £800,000 a year salary. He told Hello!: “I don't give a monkey's about people knowing it.24 Mar 2017 Ryan Trubity got lucky, while I have nothing against the man, he doesn't have any of the talents of the two above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Young Patrick Kielty was a very funny comedian and his documentaries on Northern Ireland are fantastic but, if I were him, I'd be giving RTÉ and this whole sh!tshow a wide berth.

Mind you, the same fella could also come in and rip the p!ss outta the whole lot of them. Interesting to see what he says / does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

People are making a massive deal out of nothing with this.

It's a nothingburger.

The "top up" was a pretty tiny amount of money. Less than the average bonus a senior worker would get in Banking or executive management.

Politicians hounding honest people looking for a scalp. My thoughts are with Dee Forbes who is ill, and genuine people like Ryan. Not sure this country would have got through Covid without his reassurance and guidance.

Hopefully once silly season is over this witch hunt can die down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, their top stars seem hopelessly overpaid given that they are operating in a small market of only 5m people. They probably should be on only half their current money.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I'd imagine he'll come in, do what he is told and pocket heaps of cash.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I only saw the bits that were shown on the news and heard mention of a loyalty bonus of 120k.

I think they said it wasn't actually paid but I'm not sure. Why on earth would he merit a loyalty bonus in the first place? Where else would he get such a ridiculous salary for being at best a mediocre presenter!

They really do inhabit a parallel universe at the top of RTE. Bizarro world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

But it is a public broadcast, it should be a public service. It is fair to say.

Advertising revenue shouldn't be relevant and frankly, I'm not so sure advertising be on our national broadcaster at all. Makes more sense to do what the BBC does and not have ads.

From a presenter perspective, what are presenters on other national broadcasters with a similar population paid? Our Government's go to is Scotland:

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/film-and-tv/bbc-salaries-scottish-stars-among-those-earning-over-aps150k-1444827 (Some BBC Scotland presenters appear here)

I'll die on this hill and say that John Creedon is a fantastic radio host and his TV shows are excellent. Whatever they pay him isn't enough! The man is gold. I think Daithí O Sé is a pretty good presenter too, even if his show isn't really for me. RTE Radio One has some great shows on weekends, I don't listen to Claire Byrne's show often but it is pretty good. The Documentary series is also excellent. Some of the history stuff like the Famine documentary and 1916 documentary on RTE a few years ago were excellent too. I wish they would produce more stuff like that, TG4 puts them to shame on that stuff. I generally like their sports coverage. I don't see most of what is terrible on RTE as I don't actually have a TV service in my house, so I selectively choose things to watch on the RTE Player.

RTE do actually sell something in addition to the core service. GAA Go is international and didn't they sell Love/Hate? If they churn out more documentaries, they could syndicate those to the like of the history channel, NPR etc. The Irish Americans would eat it up. Likewise, some of Creedon's shows. RTE's management seems inept though and they are more interested in nepotism and shortcuts than running a good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There ain't one othe so called big ten earners in RTE fit to tie Nortons shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I have high hopes for him. Don’t let me down, Kielty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

• When people get very greedy they start eating themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

When did this “nothing burger” phrase become a thing? Its such a stupid saying.

• I’m totally puzzled by it, must come from far side of the Atlantic.

Edit - here’s its history…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yes - John Creedon is decent and so are a few of them but absolutely not worth anywhere near some of the names on the list I shared with you earlier - and I don’t think John C is on mad money.

Great light houses the doc is another good example and something I could see ending up on Netflix.

The GAA on sky and GAA go can’t be compared to the countless top shows the BBC exports internationally. Hosts of docs, David Attenborough, Top gear etc - and don’t get me wrong I’m not saying we should be outputting that much content - I’m saying we should not be paying our people in line with people who actually earn their crust vs our lot “meeting their public service obligations”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement