Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

this boss as stated on a previous page as fitted to webb mowers mower is metal wen u hit something the blade, boss and engine could get damaged were some mowers have alloy one were the pins shear of the blade rotates to stop the engine getting damaged its not only webb mowers have metal ones a lot of other manufactures as well use them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

# bronkobilly is spot on. The steel fabricated boss has two punched through dimples with just enough profile to engage the blade holes, but weak enough to shear on impact. Alloy boss is rigid so a solid moulded pin would have roughly the same breaking point. And you can clearly see the pressed steel dimple circle in the blade holes, so there's nothing wrong with the Webb design, just a little cheaper maybe. A steel boss could bend from an impact, resulting in an unlevel blade. This happened my very first super cheap Murray mower I owned in 1980, I bent the boss and flattened the 'pins' when I hit a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

What's the easiest way of getting water out of a carb on a Castlegarden...

Asking for a .. er.. friend..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Nearly all those carbs have a float chamber with either a bolt in the bottom of it or a fuel cut off valve screwed in in place of the bolt. Take that out and the float chamber comes off and you can tip out the water then wipe out the inside of the float bowl.

Edit> when replacing float bowl check the gasket is seated correctly and do not over tighten the nut, if you do you can crush the seal and bend the bowl so it leaks fuel.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Some carbs have a second drain nut offset from the bottom centre of the bowl, the water goes to the bottom so just loosen and let out a quantity of liquid into a clear jar/glass and retighten up. Your friend can see if some of it is water, as it will float on top. Tell him not to leave the mower in the rain, especially in some of the downpours we've had, water might easily fill up the petrol cap recess and wick into the tank past the cap as the cold rain creates a lower pressure in the tank. 😳

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I have an old Partner 12597 ride on mower. The pulley belt has come off and I'm wondering if I can refit it without having to take off the lower deck. In other words if I tip the mower on its side can I fit it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

How much are second hand ride on's worth? Buying a house and I have been offered to buy the homeowners "Starjet" ride on lawnmower, among some other things for 1500. I have no details right now about it and know nothing about these things

Probably 102cm cut, AGS or Seku brand maybe. 102cm were about €4500 new, 8-9 year old might be worth 1500. If its younger, worked a modest sized garden, and has no rust it would be worth it. It looks recent enough, bit of damage visible on the grass box. I assume house owner has been using it to keep the grass cut, and doesn't want the hassle of trying to sell it during a house move. If its less than 6-7 years old, its a good buy.

I got a three year old Castelgarden 102 and a pristine three piece suite for a ir£ grand (€1270) when I moved to my current abode 22 years ago. Saved the seller a lot of hassle. I used the mower for 17 years, sold it 2018 for €400, so its hard to go wrong if you get relatively good mower and a few other bits for small money. (Suite armchairs still in use elsewhere).

Is it the drive or blade belt? This diagram shows the drive belt path. If it came off the rear gearbox pulley, you should be able to drop the back cover if there's one, or lift the seat and rear wheel guards. It's not a bagger mower so should be easy. The front pulley and the tensioner/jockey pulleys at the front should be easy to get at

• Advertisement

Thanks Deezel. It's the blade belt that came off

Thank you very much!

I was thinking it was a decent deal alright. Oh the extra stuff is not the main suite, unfortunately, but a threadmill, mahogany sleigh bed, a few drawers.

You can flog the treadmill easily on Donedeal. Sleigh bed might be worth keeping for a guest room, those frames are not cheap. Estimate about €1000 for the mower, it looks a good deal. My house move in '01 had two living spaces, so the extra suite was ideal. It was worth about £250 at the time, it moved to my sons first house in 2006, then the chairs were sold in 2021 for €50 when he moved. The well worn sofa went to Halloween bonfire. (no eco tut-tuts please). I like to see stuff get a good lifespan! I wonder will I have to downsize someday, Donedeal will be busy then.

Here's the blade belt diagram. Check the length of the belt for a missing chunk of vee rubber, that's a main cause of belts leaving pulleys.

Should be possible without dropping deck, putting wheels on a few low blocks might let the deck drop lower by an extra crucial inch or so. There's sometimes retention bolts very close to the pulley which trap the belt on the blade pulleys to prevent them throwing, I can't make them out in the diagram, but these also prevent easy replacement of a belt, they have to be loosed to allow the belt between them and the edge of the pulley. Could be on the engine pulley also, they were a pain on Castelgarden ride on. After all the work you might want to use a new belt, if the old one is scarred.

Yes I think you are right alright. The couch offered is a bit tattery but I suppose we will have nothing else.

I have gotten the exact model number of the lawnmower and it appears to be this if that makes a difference. So 102cm much like you said! All they said is it needs a service but has regularly been serviced over the years in the local town. I think id give servicing this thing myself a go, much like my Saab 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭CapriciousOne

Hi all. Looking for a lawnmower that will do a ~55m2 lawn. There’s a slight slope in one corner so self-propelled may be handy. Budget of about ~€300 maybe? Under if possible, but can stretch if not.

Scrolled back through this thread but unsure whether electric or petrol would be better for my use-case.

TIA!

For €300 You'll struggle to get a cordless including battery greater than 34cm cut, but even that small cut will comfortably mow 55m2 in 200m of pushing, roughly the length of a football field and back. The advantage of the smaller mower is it's easier to push, handle and store, some can be hung on the wall, indoors if cleaned. You'll get a large enough petrol self propelled for €300, 16"/41cm, a little more will get an 18"/46cm. Check these three from Screwfix, https://www.screwfix.ie/c/outdoor-gardening/lawn-mowers/cat840622?fueltypegardenpower=petrol&mowerpropulsiontype=self_propelled

Have a look in your nearest Topline store also.

Thanks for that @deezell , appreciate the input! I might be able to work a corded electric either. Would that increase my options?

ETA: <= 34cm should be fine also. The garden may be smaller than 55; that’s just a ballpark. Would something like this Karcher do? Or are there better alternatives in the same price range?

Post edited by CapriciousOne on

• Advertisement

It would, but they're a pith, you'll cut the cable sooner or later, that's if it doesn't internally fracture from flexing at the entry point, requiring opening up of the cable terminator, cutting back and rewiring. Oddly enough, I had to do this very fiddly repair on a corded electric chainsaw yesterday, which gets reasonable annual use. I've managed over the years not to cut it, but the flexing fractured one conducter at the entry point. Swmbo has cut the cable on her small corded electric hedge trimmer, again requiring terminator point rewiring, jointing not a good idea.

One of the family uses a 34cm cordless on about 70 m2 rear garden, tears around it, mower is light and handy and can be lifted onto/over other stuff in his tiny shed. You can use the batteries in a matching strimner also. Check out B&Q too, Diy.com

Ah ok, will stay away from cabled ones in that case. I update my previous post with a link to a potential cordless, but it’s a good shout to look at mower + strimmer combos.

I’ll have a look on the sites you recommended. Thanks again, appreciate it!

WORX bundle on the same site looks decent, two batteries, always handy to have as you can have one charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Can anyone recommend a petrol walk behind lawnmower for a large garden? I can`t afford a ride-on or robot so was wondering would it be a good alternative to get a large walk behind instead.

Big cut Small money, the 56cm Proplus is a robust no nonsense machine with an Alloy deck and a big B&S engine, and backed by a proper distributor. This one is €100 less than most other dealers at €599

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

With a ride on and standard blades is there any advantage to using a deflector over a mulching plug if not collecting the grass?

Would you be able to "mulch" (not collect) slightly longer grass with the deflector and have it spread over slightly larger area?

Yes, but it won't be cut finer or forced under the cut surface, and most will sit on top going brown until your next cut, where it will be chopped into unsightly dry fluffy clumps. The only advantage is that the mower won't be as strained as it would attempting to cut and mulch overly long grass with a mulch plugged deck. If grass growth gets ahead of you, you have to bag and remove it until you can resume the shorter frequent mulch cutting intervals. Powerful zero turn mulchers are the best at thrashing overlong growth into pulp, which quickly withers and falls below the cut surface. A deflector tends to create a sward of longer grass sitting on top, like a mini meadow.

TYPICAL DEFLECTOR ACCESSORY WITH THE 'BAG PRESENT' INTERLOCK SWITCH CONTACT ARM.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

Brilliant. Thanks for that. Makes sense.

Doing a bit work so no really space to dump the collected grass at the moment so was looking at all options.

The current weather isn't making frequent mulching cuts easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Have had that Stiga and it's a complete dud. The actual hp of the B&S 675 engine is just over 3hp, which makes sense as it cuts like it has 3hp. The mower body has a lot of light plastic, prone to breakage, even the wires for the self propelled mechanism have snapped. Best avoid for anyone looking at this one.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure why you're quoting a post from 19 months ago for a mower that's not available from Doyles and elsewhere anymore, so should be easily avoided. Furthermore, the mower in that post had the Stiga 'own brand' (Loncin) ST170 engine, not the 675Exi, which was available with that Stiga at some earlier stage.

I know the Loncin ran at 2900 rpm in this Stiga, which rpm would have been on the downward slope of the 675 torque curve. At 2900 the 675 would have produced 3.8hp, at a more credible mid point of 2600, it would output 3.7 hp, so you're not far off quoting 3hp if yours ran at lower rpm. That's real hp, not the nutty peak figures seen in ads. You can look up the Loncin performance if you wish, its a decent economy workhorse. Perhaps for cost or other reasons Stiga stopped using 675. The B&S bankruptcy hiatus in 2020 and subsequent rescue wouldn't have helped, I've heard that some B&S engines now issuing from Pakistan are practically throwaway. Heres the torque/rpm curve for the

675Exi. Multiply Torque (ft lb) by rpm÷5252 for Hp. Multiply Hp by .746 for Kwh output.

Advertisement