Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

And now a scathing article from the guardian of all places. Seems like everyone is jumping ship. What next? The Cut denouncing them and running an article on the virtues of William and Catherine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

Imagine thinking to yourself "Hey! It's Friday again already. What a week! Time to crack open a cold one and settle in for another Harry podcast about famous peoples childhood trauma. Who is on this week then?"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They'll need to dig up the time Will fárted at the dinner table while Meghan was talking.

That could be spun into a traumatic racial incident right?

The judge in the case against the Mirror asking the obvious from Harrys solicitor after closing statement. Show me the evidence of hacking. Give me two examples etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And then, just to heap even more on top, Netflix is apparently getting ready to give Harry and Meghan the chop, refusing to pay them tens of millions of dollars unless they came up with a hit as successful as their recent six-part documentary. Which they won’t, presumably, because that documentary was literally the sum total of their entire lives. 

All of this was predicted on this very thread, we should be fortune tellers because how else could we have known? 🤔🤔🤔🤔😎

• Registered Users Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

South Park was the beginning of the end for them in America.

Then the lengthy public invisible New York high/low speed chase just jumped the shark completely.

Whatever tiny semblence of honesty/integrity they had left was utterly nuked.

I hope South Park have another pop again.

If you think the royal family is well past it's sell by date, then it's baffling how you are such an ardent Harry and Meghan supporter. They are all for the privilege and prestige that being part of the rf brings, they just had a years long tantrum about not being equal to William and his family and about not getting their way when they wanted to cash in on their connections.

They still insist on using and being addressed by their royal titles, even Harry in his latest court case wanted to be referred to as "Prince". They still insisted that their children had royal titles bestowed on them as their "birthright". They still see themselves as more special than us common folk. The "modernisation" of the rf that they were talking about meant being able to accept freebies and monetise their titles to make millions in the US and at the same time, still take part in the pomp of royal events and have access to world leaders and tiaras. Nothing more than that.

Their bitterness about not getting what they wanted has lead to them imploding in a public way and burning every bridge they ever had. It's entirely their own doing. They never wanted to change anything about the institution, they just wanted the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭suvigirl

This is it!

Anti royalist somehow approve of Harry and Meaghan, even though they are the most privileged people you could imagine!

'Wille had a bigger room then me in the castle'😁😁😁😁😁😁😁 boo hoo hoo 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

No it wasn’t. This thread is a shrine to H&M applauding all of their good works and deeds. You must be mistaken comrade or you may be in need of retraining 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah now don’t be so unfair- room envy is a common condition in those with privileged childhoods - it’s known for causing a whole host of issues in adult life such as drug taking, dressing up as a Nazi and snitching on your family in a tell-all book, none of which of course, you can be held responsible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

The author is also a contributor to The Times (a Murdock publication). Interestingly, up to 12 June he had a weekly column in The Times! I wonder will be see him back there now that he has done a hit piece for Murdock?

I couldn't give two tosses about the Royal Family. I have no time for all this blue blood, elitist class nonsense though that is so popular in the UK. I admire Harry and Meghan for their bravery in taking on the trashy, racist British tabloids that think its ok to destroy people's lives with their nasty hate filled gossip.

What does the monarchy do, other than perform in pagents and wear nice clothes and cut ribbons. I see this week William was claiming that his life's work was going to be solving homelessness with 3 million quid. A few years ago his life's work was going to be creating peace in the Middle East! And you lot are laughing at Harry for saying he wanted to interview some bad boys about their early life experiences?

Harry and Meghan wouldn't have to monetarise anything if Harry's father had done what all normal father's would have done, offer security to his son and grandchildren and not use his son or daughter-in-law as a diversion for his own and his 2nd wife's deficiencies.

Prince Harry is his name. Thats what it says on his birth cert! Why would he want to lose it. Duke of Suffolk was a gift from his grandmother, who he was very close to. His father has already evicted him from the house she gave him. Doubt they will take the Suffolk title from him because they would be terrified that Meghan, would be entitled to call herself Princess Henry!

I really don't see what is privileged about their childhoods. They were awful. Parents divorced, mother killed. Making headlines every day in national newspapers. Thats better described as having had an abusive childhood.

Dear god, most sane people recognise that the current hate campaign orchestrated against Harry & Meghan by Murdock and Co. has to do with the court cases. Even KCIII told Harry he was on a suicide mission taking on the British tabloids!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Did you grow up in a royal palace? How many kids get that privilege. Lots of kids have the privilege of being abused by their parents, that can happen to anyone, but it doesn't happen to everyone while they are waited on night and day by the machinations of the aristocracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They are a hoot.

I think Meghan thought she was going to have a string of A List celebrities sign up for her podcast but it turned out not many were interested in her (or think she is very likable).

Apparently she invited a load of famous people to the wedding that she had never even met before. It's just desperately tacky.

It would appear that she doesn't have many genuine friends. That would say a lot about her as a person. Harry probably had a lot but are lost now.

It's just generally sad. And it she will be many times worse when Harry comes to his senses and departs.

I highly doubt Harry will be the one to depart. He's had multiple chances to come to his senses. True to form, she will probably drop him when he no longers proves useful to her.

If you don't see what is privileged about growing up as a prince in the most famous royal family in the world then there's no hope for you lol.

• Advertisement

The queen didn't "give" him a house. It was a lease, which wasn't renewed after they hadn't lived in the property for several years. You can't be "evicted" from a house you don't live in. Its hardly mistreatment for your family to only leave you with a $14 million mansion in the US to live in. Get a grip.

Since the posting of the excellent Marina Hyde’s article in the Guardian describing H&M’s fall from grace, I’ve been trying to remember another comment she made in an article during the Vardy V Rooney case. It was about taking legal action. I had a look back and found it, and I think it’s something H might have considered. Marina Hyde says;

Never, never litigate, unless it is absolutely unavoidable. Unless we’re talking about some serious crime, which is obviously different, then just don’t go to court. Do anything to avoid it. It is totally consuming, and it weighs on you in a way it never could for all the lawyers making money off it (and off you). In the months and even years you wait for your case to be heard, it’ll be the first thing you think about when you wake up, and the last thing on your mind when you go to bed at night. In 99 out of 100 instances, the best advice is to leave it, and get on with living your life.

Sounds like good advice

The homeless project is a trial with an initial 3 million to fund it. It is exploratory and presumably if successful then more money and investment goes towards it. The whole royal thing is using their brand, image and press office to help charities, causes and issues as mentioned before. The working ones act as proxy heads of state in representing the actual head of state and iirc it costs taxpayers circa 77p each per year to fund it all. I doubt William sees the middle east as his issue to resolve. He is the heir and when he is the monarch then my guess is that involvement in middle east negotiations/talks will be sustained and perhaps prioritized.

So they wouldn’t be on Oprah or Netflix or publishing Spare if only Daddy had just paid for his security? The Queen was the monarch at the time and it has been pointed out that the royals don’t determine security. His dad did give his multi-millionaire son 2 million quid when they left. His security costs were estimated to be around $2 million a year. Not a coincidence and presumably given to cover private security for a year. Remember they were on a year long review about what they wanted to do and that money would cover security for that year. They decided to formally leave and since their PR, during this time, was proudly touting secured deals made for them of $100 million for Netflix, $20 million for Spotify and another $20 million from Penguin then would it be reasonable to think that Harry and Meghan were financially secure? Secure enough to be financially independent per their own wishes and this $2 million a year security was easily covered? No need for looking for handouts from Pa. Get going on the work needed for these deals.

You have to look at the optics in this. Harry was complaining about security getting cut and having to sign multi-million deals to pay for security while, in parallel, buying a gaff for $16 million i.e. money/cash flow isn’t really a problem if you have the means to buy such a property and thus security costs can’t be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

And H&M weren't trying to use Harry's royalty as a gravy train? Who cares about Charles wife? This all came about because H&M wanted to keep all the benefits from being in the RF and drop the things that didnt suit. When they were denied this all started.

Its a very public form of throwing your toys out of the pram. Its plain for all to see. You think its some big conspiracy that Charles pushed away his son and grandkids, to FORCE them into doing a shock horror expose with Oprah? All to divert attention from his second wife? Is that even a thing? Do people even care about her?

You can parade around the houses all you want, inventing clandestine plans and schemes but none of it makes a jot of sense.

Listen to your points though:

1) Charles wanted to use H&M as a diversion

2) Any bad publicity about H&M is a media conspiracy

3) Any of us posters that are against H&M are either being fooled by the GLOBAL MEDIA CONSPIRACY or are royal shills hiding our true colours.

The most straightforward explanation is most often correct. H&M are a pair of really bad, hypocritical, narcissistic eggs. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Some mental gymnastics involved in trying to say the Prince Harry of the British royal family wasn't privileged!

Could there be anyone more privileged

I stopped looking for a handout from my parents when I was a teenager. To be looking for help from your Dad when you're in your late 30s is laughable in nearly every circumstance (especially when you are slagging him and others from the rooftops). What happened to the idea of standing on your own two feet? Did that notion by-pass H(&M)?

With their half in/out wishes they were like two people who wanted to make their communion/confirmation but be allowed to skip all the preparations and that boring mass bit and go straight to the part where they went to relatives and got sweets, cakes and envelopes stuffed with fifties. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

William of course! Poor Harry is only the spare😉

Great point about work ethic. Americans value hard work. You work hard and you get the reward with minimal begrudgery because you worked your ass off to deserve it. I never knew Meghan did the podcasts face to face with the household name guests (Serena, Mariah) but edited herself in for those who weren't. Insulting to those guests really although perhaps they parked it away as price to pay for the exposure/coverage.

Post edited by valoren on

• Advertisement

Er, Stuart Heritage has been a columnist with the Guardian since 2009, and a columnist for the Times since 2018 - during which time he has contributed 126 articles to the Times at a rate, on average, of less than one per fortnight. We all deserve a holiday now and then!

Advertisement