Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right wing thread closes

Options
  • 28-06-2023 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭

Firstly may I say I have no issue with the closure of the thread. I hadn’t read it all but it was going along the usual lines for that type of thread.

What I have an issue with is that Ten of Swords closed the thread at 1:57.

How is it then that ancapailldorcha was able to post at 2:26?

If the post at 2:26 was a mod action then it would be understandable. But it wasn’t. It was a reply to a comment. Could it be that ancapailldorcha used his mod abilities to reopen a thread just to post a comment and then close it again?

is this not a bit of a breach of powers?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Not necessarily. It can be done without realising it was closed. Mods have the permissions to reply directly onto a closed thread. There's no other action needed other than to post normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I believe ancapailldorcha is currently unwell and will not be able to answer any questions to the committee at the present time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Fair enough. Seems like a plausible explanation. Another gift from vanilla so!! Is this on the list of things to get fixed, as it does look quite bad from a user perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was always possible for an appropriate section mod to post in a closed thread - if you want to give a reason and don't want to risk other posts happening while its still open its the safest thing to do.

Vanillas contribution to this as a problem is that a thread being closed is *completely invisible* on mobile if you're a mod in that category. Thread looks normal, reply box is there as usual. It is shown as locked on browser but I would do 90% of my posting on mobile.

I was never a mod on the old platform so I can’t definitively say whether what you’ve posted is correct, so I’ll take your word for it.

But I wouldn’t consider it appropriate. I don’t think that a mod should be allowed post a reply to a comment after a thread is locked. If the mod feels the need for a mod action that’s one thing, but this wasn’t a mod action, it was just a comment. Feels a bit like a game of oneupmanship, “I can comment and you can’t”

For what it’s worth the there is a line saying “this discussion is closed” and in the menu the thread is marked as closed.

i don’t get how there can be half an hour between a thread being locked and a mod just happening to post a reply…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Is it possible that the mod was reading the thread, responded to a post and only when it was posted saw the thread closure note?

Going by what Spear and L1011 have said anything is possible. And I'm not trying to cause trouble for ancapailldorcha or anything like that. Firstly I was wondering how it happened, and your suggestion is quite probable. Secondly I was wondering if this is one of those 'undocumented features' that the rest of us call bugs and is it on the wishlist of fixes, because it does look a little bad. Maybe once the mod in question realised the thread was locked they should have deleted their post? I don't know, but from a user experience it looks wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just saw this thread.

I've no idea which thread the OP was referring to. If it was closed, I would not have posted on it deliberately.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think it was the 'why is there no appetite for a right wing party in ireland', possibly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
Advertisement