Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave Civil Service circular 08/2023

• 27-06-2023 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

How does everyone feel about the new annual leave circular where you can only carry over non statutory annual leave? It really does not benefit those with 22-23 days annual leave at all as you are only allowed to carry over 2-3 days each year. I preferred the 3 year rule. I wonder will Forsa have anything to say on this?

The rules for annual leave when I was in the private sector were even more flexible than this! I think I was allowed to carry over 5 days each year as long as they were used within first 6 months.

Comments

Thanks for starting the thread, @jaffa20

I am actually really shocked that I never heard a single thing about these changes from the Union in advance of them happening. They are not insignificant changes either.

First of all, I'll admit I am slightly confused about what is "statutory" and "non-statutory" leave. On my first quick scan of the circular, apparently extra days for long service are non-statutory. I assume time-in-lieu earned is non-statutory as well.

Not that I ever have a problem using up all my leave! 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭wench

My understanding is that the statutory days are the 20 days you get under the working time act. Anything over that is non-statutory.

I had never made it out of year one before covid, not taking as much leave as possible never crossed my mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Statutory is the 20 days minimum leave - non-stat is anything above that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Well that screws me up. I had 35 days going into this year. I've still 25 left.

I travel abroad and being able to carry over suite me .

I imagine they decided to do this now, because most will be coming to the end of the previous 3 year roll over, (that included the pandemic) at the end of this leave year.

I have a lot of days to take this year, but knew I would have to use them or lose them, so had already planned for it.

I also have a few days time-in-lieu banked, but I assume that counts as non-statutory I can continue to carry this forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I was ironically disadvantaged by PeoplePoint going "Ah, Covid, we've decided this year doesn't count in the three-year cycle." For me, that meant instead of being in year 1 last year, I was still only in year 3, and couldn't carry leave into this year. And this year, I want lots of time off because I'm planning a long trip in September/October.

I'll have to have a good read of the circular.

It is disgraceful that there's been nothing about this from Fórsa or the AHCPS. I hate to say it, but it seems the only point in being in a union these days is to get a discount on insurance, or if you become the victim of bullying/harassment/unfair dismissal and need individual representation. For "ordinary" negotiations on pay and conditions, they've turned into quiet little sheep!

Or the Income Continuance Plan.

If it weren't for that, I'd have already left.

Noticed this as well:

2.5 Timing of Annual Leave

Should employers wish to close the premises or enforce the taking of annual leave on specific dates, they must ensure that Staff Side representatives and / or officers are consulted at least one month before the annual leave is due to commence. Note: This provision is only intended to cover situations whereby a Department is specifically selecting the period in which annual leave must be taken (e.g. closing offices of a Department on a particular day).

I'm now fully expecting that Departments will close over the Christmas period and deduct those days from Annual Leave. Added brownie points for them if they claim its due to "energy efficiency".

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I assumed all Departments were enforcing the requirement for staff to take the statutory minimum 20 days in the year, in ours it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's amazing (and highly aggravating) the lack of consistency between depts/offices even though all HR depts are supposed to be implementing the same circulars!

Disgraceful that the unions haven't said a word about this, did they raise any objections at all? Certain people will be highly disadvantaged over this and I thought we were supposed to be moving towards greater flexibility in the workplace not less!

PER seem determined to chip away at T&Cs bit by bit, just because they can.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

They are (or should have been?) - that hasn't changed.

Yeah, agreed. I'm going to get in touch with my branch/head office and see what the story is.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Our HR unit were sending out departmental wide emails in the last few months reminding staff to take their statutory leave. They never did this in previous years. The circular wasn't referenced in the emails either. I always liked carrying over a few days leave for unforseen events.

I think I will too.

In all honesty, I think I'm more annoyed by the complete lack of Union contact then I am about the changes.

And yet, the public have the impression that Public Sector Unions are oh so mighty and powerful!

They've been bloody useless in the last few years, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

The new circular means nothing for most staff and actually removes the cliff edge in year 3, an improvement for most. I'm unsure how anyone is disadvantaged(a year to use excess leave seems fair to me?)

My understanding is that after the transition period, you can only carry leave into the next year. Under the old rules, you could carry leave over from Year 1 into Year 2, and from Year 2 into Year 3 - including some of the leave from Year 1. (And you were very much limited as to what you could carry over from Year 3 to Year 1).

The effect of the rule change means that I will no longer be able to do what I did a few years ago, i.e., "save up" leave over 2 years to be able to take six weeks off, to go on a long-haul holiday and still have time off at Christmas and a few other days here and there for emergencies, etc.

It's not something that everyone would use, sure. Those of us who have family on the opposite side of the world absolutely did use it. And that flexibility is being removed for no real reason - other than PeoplePoint/NSSO's leave system will no longer have to do the calculations in December/January and March/April, depending on when the leave year ended.

For 6 weeks off the shorter working year can come into play or taking the continous 6 weeks can be achieved using a combination of leave years say the end and begining of a two leave years in jan/fe or mar/apr.

I would rarely want to take 6 weeks off across Jan/Feb. and shorter working year means you're not paid for some of those weeks. I mean, it's an option, yes, but ultimately some people can't afford that and it's a reduction in flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know if the leave year starts on April 1st and you have 5 years service in your current grade on say May 1st and after 5 years service your owed a days extra leave is it applied from April 1st 2024 or should it be added from May 1st in this current year?

2.1 Statutory Annual Leave Entitlement

“Statutory annual leave” is the expression used in this Circular to describe the legal minimum amount of paid annual leave to which all employees are entitled from their employer under the OWTA 1997. All full-time employees are entitled to a statutory minimum annual leave entitlement of four weeks’ each year, with pro-rata entitlements for those who work reduced workshare patterns.

I'm not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly, but I'm open to correction on it.

• If a CO has an annual leave allowance of 22 days (20 statutory) they can *carry over 2 days per year - any more "in exceptional cases".
    • If an EO has an annual leave allowance of 25 days (20 statutory) they can *carry over 5 days per year - any more "in exceptional cases".
    • A HEO has an annual leave allowance of 29 days (20 statutory) can *carry over 9 days per year - any more "in exceptional cases".

And so on.

If I am interpreting this correctly (I asked on the other thread what the difference between statutory and non-statutory was) then that's a big distinction between grades that never existed before.

(I originally thought the full annual leave allowance would be considered statutory, but apparently only 4 weeks is).

*Corrected for clarity

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,897 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

No everyone can carry the non statutory leave (i.e. over 20 days) into the next year but must use it in that next year.

so a CO with 22 days can carry 2 days into the next year at their discretion

You can only carry any of the statutory leave in "exceptional circumstances" where you have been unable to use it

Also, there has always been statutory leave. 20 days since the 1997 act

and we are all supposed to use that other than in exceptional circumstances. and any statutory leave carried over had to be used by September of the next year. However this was not always enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

• If an EO has an annual leave allowance of 25 days (20 statutory) they can apply to carry over 5 days per year "in exceptional cases".

Using the above, my understanding is say the EO carries over 5 days, the leave entitlement will be 30 days. The 5 days carried over will be used first for any leave in the new leave year and not count towards the statutory 20. So effdctively the EO has to take 25 days leave (5 carried over + statutory 20)

Am I right?

yes

again unless there are more exceptional circumstances but I think HR would be monitoring such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭Red Wolf

Basically yes. The exceptional cases refers to the Carry over of Statutory Annual Leave i.e. the 4 weeks/20 days every one is entitled to but only that accrued in the previous leave year. Anything above that in your allowance i..e anything over the 20 days can be carried into the next leave year and will be used first. Also have to remember that CO’s and EO’s leave entitlements increase with length of service.

Regardless of the issue itself, echo somebody else here who sad the lack of comms from the union on this has been ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭Red Wolf

Agreed.I only know of this change from this thread. No communication from Union and to date no mention of it from my Department or NSSO

Yes, I think I worded it poorly.

But the point is a HEO (for example) can carry over up to 9 days at their discretion, but now a CO is limited to only 2.

Whereas before, if a CO wanted to carry over more they could do so under the 3 year rule, without having to make an "exceptional needs" case to do so.

Or maybe I'm not reading it right.

On lenght of service, I noticed as well that it only takes 5 years for an AO to get an extra 4 days A/L but 14 years for an EO or a CO! But that should probably be another thread....

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I might be wrong but everyone was meant to take their 20 days in a given year even before this circular. It just might not have been enforced.

• Advertisement

A CO would always have had to use 20 days per annum though - the stat min - for health & safety / working time reg purposes.

Advertisement