Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

Oh I totally agree; the majority of them are overwhelmingly economic migrants from countries that are stable and there is no threat to their lives. The borders need to be closed!! We are under no obligation to take any of these people in and we should not be doing so.

It might sound harsh and I suppose it is, but these people should not be rescued from their boats, etc. in doing so it only allows the traffickers to adverse the Irish government will help them and offer hospitality and an income. We are sending out the wrong message.

If they can swim here, they can swim back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

It's the men who get killed in these pointless war, but the women suffer more watching it!

'can also guarantee that if the government announced they would build a refugee centre or convert a disused building into a refugee centre in your area you'd be one of the first out on the streets protesting against it, demanding your children be protected'

also, this, judging everyone by your own standards. Not everyone has an issue with refugee centres.

And one last thing, if you or family have issues with a refugee, of a criminal matter, then yes go to Gardai. Gardai investigate crimes, irrespective of whom the victim or offender is.

It's honestly shocking, you simply couldn't make it up and no doubt Leo couldn't wait to sign the checks for another abysmal policy failure. They care more about refugees than EU citizens who are sleeping rough on the streets across the continent; or the parent who goes hungry so their child can eat; or the family who has to huddle up during winter because if they pay their bills they can't afford their rent/mortgage and will out of home otherwise.

There needs to be a rank and file overhaul of the system and the political class needs to be completely gutted. We need real people in the Dail and representing us at EU level; not a former TD's son or daughter, etc. who inherited the seat or some sheep that'll do what the puppet masters say.

Indeed. In the Balkan wars, Serbian MO was to empty villages and small towns of people, forcing them to the nearest big town. Where they shot all the men between 12-70. All mothers, wives, daughters wanted the men to leave.

Once a refugee is settled in a country, they can then send for their family, this is much safer for women and children rather then risking them in over crowded unseaworthy boats or letting them run the risk of trying to get somewhere with no money, no food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

The owners of the Cork apartments are saying that they were being taken off the market because they're in vital need of refurbishment but also that they're alright for emergency accommodation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How are they going to refurbish them if they're occupied?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Gamergurll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

yeah, I was being sarcastic 😀 Lets hope they're not given any refugee contract

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Harris and O'Gorman are meeting today about the use of student accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What does this have to do with anything? Seems to be a freedom of expression issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

Everyone here defending the influx of asylum seekers into Ireland needs to get real.

The harsh reality is we can't keep taking the numbers in and have ridiculous situations like students in Sligo and Cork having nowhere to stay cos they are being used to house asylum seekers.

Look at Europe and the countries moving more to the Right, Sweden( prob the most liberal place ever in the past), Finland, Spain, Greece, Italy and yesterday the AFD won local elections in Germany. The AFD is legit far right.

If the left had the common sense they could remain in power but they don't they just keep jumping the shark.

For those who want to call people racist, bigots, xenophobic etc it doesn't work anymore when most in society are feeling the effects. Look in UK lots of people who work in hotels have lost their jobs even today in Wales to put asylum seekers in the hotel. This is something that isn't magically going to stop it shall keep continuing so spare me the kumbaya, everyone welcome riteroic cos the reality is we can't house the world.

Post edited by superbatman on

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭supermans ghost

Most posters that are anti refugee are using the housing crisis as a reason, and that's fair enough, everyone knows there is a housing crisis in Ireland.

There are some, obviously that are just anti foreigners, but they are in the minority, I would imagine. Hopefully.

What doesn't make sense though is why, if housing is an issue that people are not doing anything about it?

Why, if housing is the issue , are people not out protesting about the housing crisis? Why are they not marching on the Dail, looking for change?that's how change happens. You only need to see the protests a few years ago by pensioners about medical cards to see the government turnaround.

So why is that not the case now? Why are people anti refugee, if refugees are not the problem? Why are they standing outside DP centres protesting?

Why are they not outside the Dail? Why are they not protesting on our main streets about the housing crisis?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From the article

The request for today's demonstration was made by the same private individual who had his previous request blocked.

"I want to protest in front of the large mosque in Stockholm, and I want to express my opinion about the Koran... I will tear up the Koran and burn it," Salwan Momika, 37, wrote in the application, a copy of which was obtained by AFP.

Speaking to newspaper Aftonbladet in April, Mr Momika, who fled to Sweden from Iraq, said his intention had not been to sabotage the Swedish NATO bid and had considered waiting to stage his protest until after Sweden had joined the alliance.

"I don't want to harm this country that received me and preserved my dignity," Mr Momika told the newspaper.

Police said they had called in reinforcements from across the country to maintain order.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

We all know that they wont be refurbished, and the government gave the owners an offer that they couldn't refuse. This government are not even trying to hide their priorities at this point. We now have an outrageous situation where they are actively using our money to outbid us for vital services, as it does everything---anything---to satisfy directives from Brussels. This is government not only unresponsive to public needs, but is actively and determinedly working against them. In the eyes of our "public representatives", the Irish are merely an irritant, an encumbrance, an embarrassment.

And rather than the self-indulgent reporting on the Tubridy circus, why can't RTE do a prime-time special on this scandal? Tubridy's extra pay is merely small fry compared to the billions being blown away on this endless "refugee" charade.

• Advertisement

And what does that have to do with refugees in Ireland?

Why.would you think that anyone that doesn't agree with you works for an ngo?

So.where are you going to move to?

What country do you feel is better then Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It highlights what a Iranian who fled to Sweden is planning on doing, could we expect similar protests here

So.what?

Ireland is a free country, anyone that wants to have a peaceful protest can have one.

There are protests very week on O Connell st. Surely that's a good thing?

Really!, That's your reply to what I said. Time and time again you show zero interest in listening to the concerns of the majority of the Irish public.

Oh I'm sorry for being interested in your posts! I won't read them anymore😊probably doesn't matter where you're going anyway!

As for the majority, I believe I posted already about the majority, just a few posts up.........

You honestly believe the majority of Ireland has no problem with asylum seekers cos they ain't out marching. As with everything in Ireland on matters, people won't protest in large amounts for fear they will be labeled something but behind closed doors people are not in favour of the current numbers that we are constantly taking in.

The asylum seekers issue within lots of Europe is longer going than ours, look how it has turned out, we are not immune to it and the reason why it's clear it's been a disaster is because most countries and Sweden is the best example of this are going further to the right. If you think we will just escape this then I really don't know what to say to you. If you don't learn from your mistakes history shall repeat itself.

I don't believe letting people drown is an option; but neither is just letting tens of thousands of people into the country annually on grounds of asylum. We must be able to protect our borders and decide who we wish to allow in and how many individuals will be granted asylum or the right to remain. Its nonsense to suggest we should just help everyone, it sends out the wrong message. I've no issue with immigration and as previously said I wholeheartedly promote it, in fact more needs to be done to allow for higher legal immigration in the country.

Anyway, I've not seen one image of migrant boats being picked up off the coast of Ireland; a majority of these guys seem to be coming through regular migration channels and claiming asylum upon landing or entry. I'd bet the house that the majority of them are coming from UK after their repeated failed asylum applications over there and now the overhanging threat of either being deported to their country of origin or to Rwanda.

They are simply economic migrants, of which a majority have little respect for their our laws and culture; there has been multiple disturbing videos and images of these men hanging around questionable areas and acting in aggressive and predatory manners. People have a right to be concerned, and its not just Irish people that are concerned, legal foreign nationals resident here also have valid concerns.

The answer is not open borders with limitless entries permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just reading this article and it claims there's 51k asylum seekers housed in hotels across the UK.

The article posted on this thread says we have over 61k. So we're worse than the UK. Christ that's bleak.

Advertisement