Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of the smell of p$ss etc in a block built shed used for rearing greyhounds

Options
  • 28-06-2023 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at buying a house where a 17m by 4.2 m shed is divided up into a number of greyhound kennels.

The smell of p$ss etc is quite overpowering so just wondering about getting rid of same.

Plan is to remove all the block walls used for the subdivision and use it as a workshop.

What about airtight paint as used for getting good airtightness numbers is a house build, or just spray it with 1: 5 chlorus a few times

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Be careful to not use bleach as this will cause a chemical reaction and could lead to lung damage.

is it possible to give the shed a good airing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks

windows have been open for month, nada!

Might just spray it with good old exterior white santex

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deminiman

Lime is great for smells as well as killing what could be about the place, you could throw it down for a few days, sweep it up or wash it away. Should do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

A solution of biological washing detergent, powder or liquid, mixed with water and brushed in with a stiff broom/brush should help. The mix is used in kennels, it masks the odour of dogs urine, dogs like to 'go' where they can pick up another dogs 'scent'. It is very effective. Do not use bleach as it has a similar smell to dogs urine, I think it is the ammonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try Jeyes Fluid.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭iniscealtra

Biological washing powder breaks down the smell as said above. Used by dog owners if the dog pees inside by accident as the enzymes break down the smell so the dog doesn’t pee there again. A dog will pee where another dog has and recognise this by scent.

Mix it with hot water and wash.

Do not use bleach as said above.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 for bio washing powder. We had a cat that was fond of peeing in all kinds of places in the house and we had a spray bottle with some bio washing powder dissolved in it to spray where she'd been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

There's no reason not to use bleach as you aren't intending on using the building to house dogs.

I have a urine neutraliser that I buy from dog shows, but if you look on line there seems to be a good variety of options. Use that first then a good cleaning agent once that's dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Terrier2023

Lots of bread soda and hot water & then lime wash the whole place white cement & lime neutralizes every smell & bacteria.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies

So finally got possession and ripped out all the timber beds, am left with concrete block bases.

Smell is reducing...

If I go down the bio detergent route, are you suggesting that I wash all surfaces down or just spray on a solution of liquid bio detergent and leave it?

Its a a big shed: 17 m by 4m so lots of surface area.

The chlorine bleach, at 10% dilution sprayed on, would be easier and as we won't be having dogs for while should be okay

Advertisement