Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Very depressing day in South Wicklow. Dark heavy blanket of cloud overhead all day, humid in a damp warm breeze and the odd shower. And looks like this muck will continue for the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Robwindstorm

Just looking back on my post at the start of the drought and I'm wondering should I be 'The Meath Farmer' instead of the Donegal Postman at predicting the weather. I am a bit worried the way the weather has gone as I have silage/hay to cut from 1st of July under an environmental scheme preventing you to mow in June. And Spain has it's heatwave back in full force up to 43c. I can see a few warm/hot days the last week of July and a more summery August. I think our good spell came just too early. Again, I'm very easily pleased !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dunno if Met Eireann go into the level of detail that the UK Met does but I'd say western Ireland is in with a shout with the hottest June on record, this certainly won't be the case of eastern half of Ireland with the chilly first 10 days of June. Back to the UK and it would have been interesting if the chilly easterly hadn't happened because England was also well below normal up to day 7 of June and now the CET is at +3.1c (around 17c for June), so if that easterly hadn't happened June would probably be a record breaking month throughout all of UK and Ireland only for that 1st week to 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo certainly has had its hottest June on record. Maybe 1940 was hotter but certainly nothing in my life has been close to this and I'm nearly 50.

Finally set up my station on weatherunderground PWS network. Its mounted OK but I may take it down in storms or drill it in harder.

Unfortunately the location I pressed was my house but weatherunderground sent it to Knappagh Beg and to fix id have to go through all the rig ma roll again so can't be arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Savage morning of rain in the West. Finally clearing. 14⁰ NE Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain for nearly 24 hours. Leitrim

Was warm when I got up this morning but then it turned into a bit like winter with rain and a cool breeze. Real dull now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a wet and cool morning here in Meath, a day to spend indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’d say your longing for those blue skies and easterly winds now!!! 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Ah would it not be fair to say it will improve from noon?

Anything is better than Atlantic muck. The easterly winds were nagging they were so cold but at least it was sunny and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

After a wet morning,the clearance has arrived and it's bright and sunny

Rain has cleared. Some brief glimpses of sunshine after it cleared but overcast again.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Very chilly on the west coast this morning for a period after that rain cleared. It really felt like an autumn coolness, that low pressure has brought down 4° uppers from the Northwest. The wind has dropped now, some clear skies and feeling quite warm at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We got the rain we needed in Galway. Just watch nature take off again now. The farmers will be pleased.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

Met Eireann weather forecast as 40C temperature 'heat dome' points to Ireland 'hot spell'

How these websites are allowed to publish absolute nonsense like this is beyond me. Should be treated like covid misinformation.

The next 10 or so days see some rain or showers most days but amounts in the single digits of mm. Then it might dry out again in July for a week or 2. Depending on charts there could be some heat around this time but I'd reckon high twenties here and low thirties in England , maybe the fact is it will be likely 40c in Spain explains the above drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

I wouldn't really agree with that analysis.

The easterly winds allowed clear skies in most areas and very, very warm temps away from exposed coasts. Especially in Ireland.

Had there been no easterly, where else would the wind have come from? The north? The west? Because that wouldn't have brought high temps either in early June.

Even if winds had been coming from the south, it would have been way cloudier on most days, with temps probably maxing out at around 22º or 23º only in many areas. And there probably would have been rain too.

The dry easterly meant no rain for weeks on end which would have helped temperature also due to the dry soil.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Showers first half of the day here in Kerry but cleared up nicely in the afternoon, even better this evening back along the coast in Tralee Bay, cooling down steadily from a high of 17.6C to its current ( needing a light jacket ) 14.3C. Loving the fresh air though after all the humidity.

• Advertisement

Same

Turned in to a nice day. Also enjoying the fresher air when training.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Those county webpages like galwaybeo are becoming worse than the mirror etc. And the public is full of 'silly' people who believe such rubbish.

Nice 19/20c day in the south midlands. From 1pm on a fine day.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

That’s true. It will cause people to make daft plans or take unnecessary precautions.

if they were to be spouting off like that about a red weather warning for wind or snow they would be taken to task over it.

in response to the post two up by strong and faithful

For 136 years we haven't been able to beat 33.3C. Now we're going to beat it by 7C curtesy of a 40C plume😂

Click bait is one of the worst side effects of modern online communication. It's very difficult to prevent your news feed becoming choked with rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Beautiful spring morning in D24.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Not so in mid/north midlands with showers in the afternoon. Was mild and breezy but far from fine/clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very pleasant morning out there if a little cool earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Mostly cloudy, cool and breezy in Longford. Jacket weather!

Heading to Kildare in an hour or so, expecting improved weather there.

Advertisement