Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I like Hoult but can't see him as superman

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah. Perfect Clark Kent, but even packing on muscles on top of muscles I can't imagine him as Superman. He could be a great Lex Luthor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,644 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reading that James Gunn's new Superman will be the embodiment of Truth, Justice and the American way.

The American way these days is what?

Woke, Qanon Suppotting, Extreme Right/Left Wing, Fascist, Communist, Conspiracy Believing, Anti Vaxxing and SuperThey/Them is an Alien who will unite a Woken/Broken America by showing them good old fashioned values.

This could be an interesting film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Could setup a rerun of Batman Vs Superman down the road. Maybe a green arrow planned in the meantime.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Remember, by all rights Captain America should have been a collosal failure for the same apparently archaic idea of American Decency; yet Cap became the embodiment of the MCU's heart. If they remember to just play Supes straight and earnest it can work - American cinema is just allergic to that sentiment, especially nowadays. Not like Superman 78 didn't try for that exact tone.

Now, the secret ingredient of Captain America was to set it in ww2, when that honesty had a place. I'm not sure you can do that with Superman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,186 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think it's impossible to do, but to do it they have to be really interesting in how they cast Superman. Of the names I've seen linked, Nicholas Hoult is by far and away the most exciting choice. I think he could manage to interpret what Gunn wants perfectly.

But he's definitely set himself a tough gauntlet if that's what he wants from his Superman.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had to double check but I remembered they changed that motto a couple of years ago to "Truth, Justice and a better tomorrow"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

In man of steel ddint they have superman saving people in another country so apart from being brought up in kansas he is usually portrayed as defending the whole planet and not pushing any social issues.

Given supergirl seems to be a much grittier character in the flash i wonder how they will postion Superman

That's the one thing I loved about Snyder's Superman. He doesn't care if you're in another country and about to die in a random fire, he will come to your aid if he can. You can see how that pressure he puts on himself can weigh one down, and you can't blame him for not doing so with a cheesey wholesome line.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In BvS I loved that montage of him saving lots of people in different parts of the world and they are discussing his motives and some guy says “maybe he’s just a guy trying to do the right thing” or something to that effect.

I know the Snyder movies are pure marmite, there’s no in between with a lot of people but I loved them. DC have failed miserably to offer anything better so far, not perhaps a shining endorsement of Snyder but I loved how unique they felt when benchmarked against Marvel.

Really looking forward to see how rebel moon is gonna turn out.

• Advertisement

I don't think there's any need to take the "American Way" part of the line as being any kind of commentary on "woke, QAnon, They/Them" whatever kind of stuff. Even removing it in the comics is more about separating the line from that sort of political right v left culture nonsense and just be more about "The Pursuit of Happiness", "All men are created equal" kind of thing, where Superman is above that kind of stuff.

Whether the line is referenced or part of the ethos of the character or not doesn't matter. It doesn't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think removing the "American Way" part has to do with storylines like in Superman & Lois where the American military didn't want Superman helping other countries, especially their enemies.

That makes me think of Dr Manhattan defeating the north Vietnamese in Watchmen. In the Man of Steel the American Military was heavily involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

lots of chat on the Inside of You podcaset, with James Gunn, here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Rebel Moon looks so transparently like Sunder trying to do a Star Wars, I'm intrigued if nothing else. At least Space Opera can benefit from heightened, exaggerated visuals - but we've discussed Sender's superhero movies enough I ain't gonna touch the rest of that post. I can only point out how wrong you are so many times 🤡🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

To be fair, it is Snyder doing a Star Wars as it was originally written to be a Star Wars movie 🙂

Aquaman doing more reshoots.

Due for release in Decemeber.

New Superman & Lois announced

David Corenswet, and Rachel Brosnahan as Lois

Hopefully this time they have chemistry; cos whatever else one says of the last two cinematic Clark/Lois, neither pairing had great chemistry or any sense of energy between them. Especially Cavill and Amy Adams; woof that iteration stank in that respect.

Ms Maisel as Lois I can see it working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

David Corenswet looks like Cavill's younger brother

• Registered Users Posts: 31,697 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would have preferred Hoult but I understand he might have been too different again like Cavill's Superman. This Corenswet guy looks like he should be playing Superman on the CW, all due respect.

They've a massive, huge, challenge on their hands. Hopefully Gunn is making all the key decisions so he can stand over them for better or worse.

Does that mean Tyler Hoechlin, who does play superman on the CW, looks especially CW? 😁

Only finally got a proper look at the two leads: yeah I can see what people are saying, Corenswet looks remarkably like Henry Cavill - that can't possibly be a coincidence. I like the casting of Lois; an actor is not the role they play, but we've seen from The Marvellous Mrs. Maisel, Rachel Brosnahan can play feisty and spunky - which is kinda what you want from any Lois Lane.

And if they were to truly channel the Maisel vibe, and set this new Superman film during the Silver Age of Comics? Haha, that'd get my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I am wondering if James Gunn taking over is going to be too late because I think superhero films in general are on their last legs. Audiences are just burned out and tired of the whole thing, regardless of quality.

I think Gunn is the opposite ofasaviour, his actions in declaring the end of the snyderverse have assisted on the poor box office showings of black Adam, shazam and now flash. I think there is an audience connection to that verse so why would they go to movies where the legacy characters are just going to be replaced with a younger model in the next movie. It would be like a football manger declaring their retirement at the end of the season, half way through the season. He should have waited until the movies were released before announcing his decison

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

It was written to be Snyder doing Seven Samurai/Battle Beyond the Stars as Star Wars

I don’t understand why all the movie websites that talk about it don’t know that it Seven Samurai not Star Wars.

And Star Wars already have a Seven Samurai story - although it was 6.

What is the opinion of Corenswet as Superman? I really wish it was still Cavill but that ship has sailed. Now I really hope Gunn is giving us the Boy Scout version of Superman - the villains can be nasty, the DCU can be fruity etc. but I want Superman be “old fashioned values” , does the right thing etc

I have no idea what Corenswet is like as an actor but if puts on the muscle he can look the part.

Rachel Brosnahan as Lois Lane though.. now that is exciting casting. Marvellous Mrs Maisel is fantastic and she was great in House of Cards and her brief time on The Blacklist.

• Advertisement

The final season of TITANS arrived on Netflix last Sunday. I watched the first episode and Titus Welliver appears as Lex Luthor.

It is (as always from Welliver) a great performance and he makes me want to see more of what he is up to.

Spoiler for the episode

So I really hope he isn’t dead like he appears to be at the end or at least that he comes back from the dead soon.

Makes me wan to see Welliver take on the role for the Gunn movie but it won’t happen of course.

Assuming the rumour mill is correct, Alexander Skarsgard is certainly an unusual choice. Never imagined Luthor played by an actor who looks like a superhero himself. Although I would pick someone older if the decision were mine, I think Nicholas Hoult is closer to the type for the time.

And Luthor better be bald.

Advertisement