Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Achill seem to release sourced product under the brand "Irish American Whiskey", which is matured at their facility.

I like the way they split the branding that way so clear.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,844 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

WD OConnell 10yo Single Grain Bourbon and Rye casks finish 48%

Picked up a mini in James Fox. Thought it was a superior single grain offering - lovely long finish. Dunno how much of that is the age or extra ABV.

On the website it says sourced from Cooley. WD pitch themselves as whiskey merchants.

James Fox also have mini of the peated Big Phil.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Black Bush at 24 seems good value:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I was gifted a bottle of Johnnie Fox's 10 yr old single malt described on the bottle as "a classic blend of premium quality grain and malt Irish whiskey." MCM Brands, Donegal are mentioned on the label.

I've never heard of this before - does anybody know anything about it? It was bought in Johnnie Fox's pub, so I'm assuming it's re-branded specifically for Johnnie Fox's. I couldn't find much about it online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

The plot thickens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Who produced the whiskey in the bottle

Surely that's famse advertising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

🫣

That's appalling labelling! Anyone with very basic whiskey knowledge would know that that is completely contradictory. How did that go to print?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did well to get my hands on two relatively rare products from J.J. Corry this week - The Flintlock batch 1, and The Old Tom batch 1. The former is an award winning 16 year old single malt, 46%, 50cl, bottled in autumn 2018. The latter is a blend of malt and grain, 50%, 70cl, bottled in the summer of 2019. They're both fantastic. My first purchases from this bonder, but certainly not my last.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I'm on hols at a resort that may necessitate me practically selling a kidney to settle the bill...

But I have a 1l bottle of Arbeg Smoketrails in my room for a bit of a balcony nightcap....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

How is it? I bought two of them, but yet to try.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was wrong about the manzanilla probably not coming through... It certainly does, you get a bit of that lip-smacking bone dryness. If you're a dry sherry drinker you'll recognise it, anyway. If you weren't, you might think it's a herbal note, or something.

Not my favorite Ardbeg, but it's still a very, very good whisky by any yardstick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Your probably in the perfect forum to sell it as well

You can still buy it in duty free for about €75 a bottle.

Other half made me put a bottle of Bowmore 9 year old back that I was trying to sneak through in the shopping in France. Thought €30 was worth it to try.

Lagavulin 16 for €71 on the shelf as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

Had the baoilleach holy smoke. Not a whiskey, too short in the cask. Not a poitin, too long in the cask. Its really tasty, along the lines of an islay. I really liked it. Had the father and the son as well but it's the holy smoke that really stood out for me

I got a bottle of the Cratur from Baoilleach. It's a beast of a spirit! Really interesting, full-on flavours. Not just smoke, there are deep malt flavours there, too. Not for the faint hearted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Someone was asking if heathrow had any MVR 2023.

I picked one up there last week.

I was very disappointed with it. Nice nose. Awful flabby mouth feel very short finish and not at all enjoyable.

I don't drink MVR normally so I'm not sure if it's my typical dislike for blended in general or if it's just a bad release.

Anyone more familiar with MVR tried it?

I needed a mini hip flask of something.

Sure why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Just got a 200ml bottle of Stout Caskmates in Dunnes for 6 euro. No idea if local or nationwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's an amazing offer if it's everywhere. I must go check the Maynooth store tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

got some bottles for my birthday

jameson crested

jameson pot still - still my arse, it's like riverdancers trooping down my throat

the hakushsu singlemalt japanese whiskey - never had japanese whiskey, it's nice - clear and crisp

"jameson pot still - still my arse, it's like riverdancers trooping down my throat."

@ablelocks I'm really curious as to what you actually mean by this?

What do you consider pot still to be?

It seems that you do not consider this to be a pot still, why?

It's a very curious comment that gives virtually no information other than you didn't find it very smooth. What are you comparing it to?

i usually drink jameson/powers, crested, black barrel, three swallows...

I never said i didn't consider it to be a pot still?

i got it as a present, first time tasting pot still and i only had the one, and it was just different to what I'm used to - i wasn't trying to give any other information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yeah, nothing here. And 200ml standard Jameson is €12.50, I think you got lucky with a mistake there, hope you cleaned them out!

It was the "still my arse", comment I wondered about.

Genuinely, I was just trying to figure out what you were saying about it.

it's not "still" as in stationary, it's lively - and i do like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭jh79

Actually only bought 1 as I got a few whiskey bargains recently. Still about 5/6 bottles left in Dunnes Knocknacarra Galway if that helps anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bushmills aged in bourbon barrels. Tis alright for a mid week sup.

Advertisement