Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a United Ireland and the GFA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What amendments to the GFA should the two governments make? Genuine question!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Didn't Stamer get in trouble for saying he would campaign for NI to stay?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Somebody who constantly wants to make the actions of two parties the same, has got an agenda.

The fact is, the two situations are not the same, something you cannot deny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Please don’t you go down the blinkered route francie has. As I recall sf said they would not go back into the assembly until the DUP accepted sf (and thereby the Army Councils) instructions on who should lead DUP party in stormont. Ludicrous, but you could argue it was democratic in that they were elected and it was peaceful. Contrary to what francie said, they did not fix it.

whether you like it or not, the DUP have decided they are not prepared to implement the Protocol or WF, as would be their role if they sat in stormont. It is also democratic and peaceful, and they are not putting down red lines that SF should change their potential FM , nor did they when she blatantly broke covid rules.

so as blanch says, try not to see one as all good and the other as all bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The GFA worked because of the huge mandate it received via referenda both sides of the border. Any attempts to replace it without comparable mandate are doomed to fail I'd reckon.

A deep irony in all your calls to respect the wishes of the people of NI when you're arguing against Unification, yet when it suits you seem to be advocating cutting them out of a fundamental decision on how they're governed right now.

I would actually be in favour of some degree of reform of the GFA, though certainly not by British and Irish governments, over the heads of the people of NI.

Any reform should be aimed at getting things working in a sustainable manner right now. I'd be very wary that those of a certain view would like to abuse that to try and insert things like supermajority clauses for Unification, which I suspect is the primary reason reform is such a hot topic in certain quarters. Attempting to remove the people of NI from how that reform looks does little to assuage those concerns.

Historically Labour have been much better to us than the Tories. You will see most, if not all, treachery took place under the tories

I'd agree with you on this, Downcow. Ironic that time and time again, mainstream Unionism continues to trust the Tories to have their best interests at heart, and Nationalists expect Labour to somehow be worse for Unionism.

Never Trust a Tory continues to be sterling advice.

A fair point.

However, the reforms I am proposing wouldn't need endorsement by the South as there would be no Constitutional amendments.

As I recall sf said they would not go back into the assembly until the DUP accepted sf (and thereby the Army Councils) instructions on who should lead DUP party in stormont

As expected, a view based on something you heard down the pub. In contrast to the reasoning given at the time by those involved as shown in the links provided.

In a statement this evening Mr Adams said Mr McGuinness had taken "decisive action" as a result of DUP's "handling of the RHI scandal and attitude to power sharing."

"In spite of the provocation, disrespect, and arrogance from the DUP and the failures of the British government to fulfil its responsibilities over that time, Martin McGuinness has always put the people and the political process first," he said.

“This is in contrast to the DUP who have been acting to undermine equality and partnership.

• Advertisement

They would certainly need endorsement in the North if your genuine wish is for greater stability there rather than just jabbing in some additional blockers to Unification.

Reforming the GFA without a very real and demonstrable mandate from the people of NI is a recipe for disaster, and I mean a mandate for specific reforms not a broad, 'we agree the GFA needs reform' type of thing.

Unfortunately, I suspect that the two major sectarian parties both like the current system because it allows them to throw childish tantrums and throw babyfood at each other. They will oppose all meaningful attempts at change.

A first step would be the implementation of the 2022 Alliance Party manifesto proposals on institutional change.

I'm not saying it needs the direct support of SF/DUP (though in practical terms, you have to ask is NI workable with neither of them engaged), I'm saying it needs a direct mandate from the people. It needs to have a specific proposal presented to the people in a referendum; for stability you can't replace something with as strong a mandate as the GFA had with an indirect, unconfirmed mandate and expect the place won't implode.

Francie I know the statement well. Are you denying that the red line sf put down was Arlene stepping down. Please don’t send me searching for evidence if you know this already.

…..and that’s quite a spake by you to say all those issues were fixed in a year. That means you think the dup moved to behaving in an exemplary fashion, in the eyes of the shinners.

maybe you will also tell us in concise bullet points what was achieved by 3 years out that enabled return?

Yes it suits both major parties that they can turn elections into a sectarian headcount and ask that cannot be held accountable for their incompetence. Why would they change? Turkeys and Christmas

As I thought.

I knew you thought you had a 'gotcha' when you asked me 'how SF fixed it'.

Whiich wasn't what I said at all.

I said they (the coalition of SF/DUP) fixed it by negotiation and the DUP backroom people welched on that agreement too (see Eamon Mallie link)

Nowhere did I say they fixed 'all the issues' that is plainly not the case. They fixed it to allow powersharing to resume.

I have linked to Adams (the party leader at the time) giving the reasons for pulling out. Here it is again:

In a statement this evening Mr Adams said Mr McGuinness had taken "decisive action" as a result of DUP's "handling of the RHI scandal and attitude to power sharing."

You go right ahead ignoring the 'and' if it suits you.

I don't know how you think the "and" helps your argument.

Effectively, Adams was saying that he didn't like the opposing team's tactics so he wasn't going to play. Can't really get more childish than that.

You can have your view of what he said, you are entitled to that.

What you cannot have is the claim it was just about RHI...it wasn't.

Francie. If it was fixed in a year, why did they stay out 3 years.

in the last few posts you done exactly what the shinners done. You know you were completely wrong, so you got a story cobbled together so as you could climb down and save face.

their story was so conveluted around promises from a English mp about the Irish language etc. so tell us what changed for them to go back in and how did that make any practical difference on the ground? Was there something other than Irish language? And did the language thing change anything on the ground?

of and you forgot to tell us whether they had a red line about Arlene and whether they fixed that as well?

Francie. If it was fixed in a year, why did they stay out 3 years.

That's how long it took to get the DUP back to where they were after a year - agreeing via negotiation to restore powersharing. (see Eamon Mallie link) Here is the draft agreement the Taoiseach and UK Prime Minster were on their way to endorse and do the photo opportunites.

All I can do is back up my claims with links and quotes from party leaders at the time.

If they didn't say these things you need to prove they didn't.

P.S. The 'details' of the agreement to go back in are different to claiming a deal was done. You are, like blanch, entitled to your view of those details and what was achieved/not achieved. The fact is though that a deal was negotiated and later welched on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I know you answered none of my questions. But here is the key one again, on its own, so as none of us can get confused

‘maybe you will also tell us in concise bullet points what was achieved by 3 years out that enabled return?’

I didn't claim anything was achieved downcow.

All I did was make two claims and backed it up.

'What was achieved' is a personal view. You'd have yours and I'd have mine. Not relevant to this conversation

Should calm a few nerves about the cost of a UI.

Soon as you start pushing the the north and south economies together inside the EU the boats start to rise.

You said it was fixed. Should be hard to answer the question.

‘maybe you will also tell us in concise bullet points what was achieved by 3 years out that enabled return?’

im now tired of this francie. Another nonsense claim by you which doesn’t hold up to examination. We’ll leave it there - again!

They fixed powersharing downcow.

What is so hard to understand here?

I said nothing about what was achieved. Again, that is a personal interpretation that has zero relevance.

I haven't seen any complaints from SF about the deal, so I persume they were happy with what it achieved for them.

so francie?

NI economy weak = reason for UI.

NI economy strong = reason for UI

warm summer = reason for Ui

cool summer = reason for Ui

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well yes. (Except about the weather).

If there was a UI, the NI economy would be on a stronger footing because of the link to the much stronger Irish economy, and for access tom the EU market. NI voted to remain in the EU. Also, the strong NI economy means that it will not cost the overall Irish economy much to integrate.

A weak NI economy will not be tolerated by the UK Gov by its high level of subvention, which will be a continuous drain on public funds, and will be seen as a target for cuts. This will give rise to political problems that a UI will be the only solution. The NI politicians will be branded as the poor mouth - always looking for more handouts.

Not much point in being British if the British do not want you.

I thought he just said we are on a stronger footing in our current arrangements. It would seem that would make a Ui even less attractive and even less likely than before the current arrangements.

see this constant going on about the Brits don’t want us.

recent polls put up here demonstrated that twice as many mainland Brits wanted us to stay than go. But sure who cares about the facts.

….you are aware, we are the Brits?

Not much point in any people up here being Irish if the Irish don’t want them

• Advertisement

Partition failed = reason to end partition.

Encourage all island economy inside the EU = the ^ above is not the economic problem partitionists and Unionists think it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement