Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'We must be able to protect our borders and decide who we wish to allow in and how many individuals will be granted asylum or the right to remain'

We do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

But we got fined 1.5 million for not taking 350 asylum seekers? So we can't decide how many to take?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,101 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What I find odd also is that these people seem blame Ireland far more than countries they are coming from

350 people from Pakistan died in that awful tragedy few weeks ago.

Why aren't people asking serious questions of Pakistan and demanding answers from them?

But instead blame a island half way across the world where culture is totally different.

It's all Irelands fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭rgossip30

You mean this post !! '' There are some, obviously that are just anti foreigners, but they are in the minority, I would imagine. Hopefully. '' No proof as usual just an opinion .😍

Yes, that is my opinion, that most people in Ireland are not anti -foreigners, I don't believe the majority of people in Ireland are racist. Do you have proof that they are or something?

• Advertisement

Well that's not what my post you quoted said. It said I don't believe most people in Ireland are anti foreigner, that's my opinion.

Do you have proof the majority are racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

Exactly my friend!! They bring the country to court for not housing them and they're literally fresh off the boat; they complain the food is not to their standard and that they have to do things for themselves, why can't the women run around after them because that's how its done back at home.

I'm tired of people accusing those with legitimate concerns about these alleged 'refugees' as being xenophobes, racist, etc.; the vast majority of Irish people have no issue with refugees and immigrants, we're a very welcoming and open society on the whole.

I'm not sure what tragedy you are referring to in Pakistan though so I can't comment on that particular statement but I am aware of other incidents where for example when boats capsize in the Mediterranean or in the English Channel that some how it is the fault of the Italian, Greek, French and British governments, which is beyond reprehensible. All of those do-gooders out there get to back to their lovely communities secluded from the effects of allowing tens of thousands of violent criminals and others who have little to no respect for our laws or cultures, while the rest of us have to suffer the consequences.

You won't see any refugees sleeping rough on the streets of well to-do areas or having hotels and community hubs being turned into refugee centres to house the ones they have space for. Anyone that goes out and marches in favour of allowing them in should be required to house at least one refugee in their private residence for at least 12 months; not 30 days will pass where the vast majority would change their opinion and be out demanding the government gets a handle on it.

Did you actually read that article?

I don't see anything in it that suggests there is something wrong with England. Perhaps you could point it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭baldbear

Does anyone know how the Brazilian asylum seeker got on who was on a few media outlets? Does he have an Instagram/tiktok account?

• Advertisement

There was one conflict. Involving a few hundred Hindu men and Muslim men. A public order incident if you like.

Not out of the ordinary by any stretch of the imagination.

'On September 20, Hindu and Muslim religious leaders issued a joint statement, describing Hindus and Muslims as “a family” who share a city that is “a beacon of diversity and community cohesion”. It echoed the increasingly popular explanation that the trouble was instigated by outsiders, bolstered by media reports that eight of the 18 people arrested on September 18, 2022 did not reside in Leicestershire.

“We together call upon the inciters of hatred to leave our city alone,” the joint statement said. “Leicester has no place for any foreign extremist ideology that causes division.”'

Not exactly an everyday occurrence in that particular city.

I don't know how you can get away with saying there is something wrong with England based on one, out of the ordinary, public order incident? Unless you are one of those people that just hate England and everything about it?

Also, is there some suggestion that any of the people involved in the public order incident are refugees?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I'm actually not very worried about climate change, on a personal level. It will cause mass immigration from certain parts of the world.

Riots in France are regular occurrence, the French like to demonstrate. This particular incident is about police shooting dead a 17 year old boy.

Now, can anyone please explain why posters are somehow trying to shoehorn riots and public order incidents into an anti refugee agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭superbatman

So you're not worried by climate change and then say it will cause mass immigration, so you are basically saying you want mass immigration. Well good to see you finally admit how you feel on the matter.

I neither want nor don't want mass immigration. Immigration is going to happen. It is what it is and I'm fine with immigration.

This thread is about refugees.

''All migrants are economic migrants '' so does that include refugees or are you mixed up again ?

I'm never mixed up.

[economic migrant]

NOUN

economic migrant (noun) · economic migrants (plural noun)

1. a person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living.

So you neither want nor don't want mass immigration. Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Juran

Wrong.

We are not protecting our borders by allowing everyone in.

Watch Australian border control programs. Thats what you call controlling our borders.

We should of course reach out and take in a certain % of refugees who are displaced in UN camps eg. Syrians, Afgans. We should take only the number we can accomodate, we can't take everyone.

But the state needs to discourage the influx of people flying in from safe countries with lost passports.

I believe that the majority of citizens of this country would agree with this view.

I notice Mattie Mc Grath TD Laois /Offaly has posters looking for a referendum . He says he is not responsible and gave no permission .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,105 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucas is staying in The Marker Hotel or The Gibson Hotel and will be on First Dates Ireland

The statement was made that we must have the right to protect our borders, I said we do, because we do.

Because the government chose to allow asylum seekers that doesn't mean we don't have the right. It just means they don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭paxreseuropa

Let's not play stupid now; there are certain parts of England and even France, Belgium, Germany, and Sweden where areas are so dangerous that even law enforcement don't go to them areas and crime is sky high, violent and vicious attacks on women are also above the average incidence rates; all of this is well-known and has been reported many times over the years since the huge influx of refugees to Europe in the years after the Arab Spring.

I'm not saying all people from one particular country, region or race are the same and you know I'm not so stop misconstruing what I'm saying. There are parts of countries in Europe where certain areas have become more or less no-go zones for most people who are not affiliated with those communities and at time this does include emergency services personnel due the the increased risk to their safety and lives.

Never once did I suggest anything of the sort, once again you're misconstruing. The department needs a massive overhaul and more stringent enforcement of the rules; no individual who has been refused asylum should be given the right to remain in any circumstance, it makes a complete mockery of the asylum and immigration laws and sends out the wrong message to the despicable people traffickers and the individuals who are fraudulently seeking asylum as refugees when in fact they are economic migrants who are not eligible to emigrate to Ireland in legal terms.

Yes, that is true; the vast overwhelming majority of refugees presently in Ireland are from Ukraine (which is a side issue). However, increasingly over the previous 12 months there has been an increase in other refugees coming to Ireland and they are primarily adult males from North African and Middle-Eastern nations, who as mentioned several times are not refugees but in fact illegal economic migrants.

No they are not!! People don't just move for economic reasons, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, truly idiotic. How daft are you to think there is one and only one reason for people to emigrate.

There is nothing wrong with migration though and never did I say there was; if you bothered to actually read anything I've said you'd be very much aware that I am pro-immigration and welcome the additions and enhancements that immigrants bring to our society, and that I am in favour of reforming immigration laws to increase the number of legal immigrants to the country per annum.

If you plan on replying please don't waste either of our time by misconstruing my words for the umpteenth time.

England is not a dump. And I don't know how you could come to such a conclusion based on that article!

Legal immigration is not what creates ghettos. Bad social policy is.

There is no reason to go extreme and presume that people coming here will be anything other then good citizens, adding to our society. And most definitely no reason to think anyone will 'destroy our culture ' considering the Irish have exported our culture all over the world, I doubt very much it will disappear!

Post edited by suvigirl on

People don't just move for economic reasons, that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, truly idiotic. How daft are you to think there is one and only one reason for people to emigrate.

eco·nom·ic mi·grant

[economic migrant]

NOUN

1. a person who travels from one country or area to another in order to improve their standard of living.

I would imagine most people emigrate to improve their standard of living, or else, what's the point?

other refugees coming to Ireland and they are primarily adult males from North African and Middle-Eastern nations, who as mentioned several times are not refugees but in fact illegal economic migrants.

No, they are not refugees. They are asylum seekers. And what is an illegal economic migrant? A made up term that means nothing.

there are certain parts of England and even France, Belgium, Germany, and Sweden where areas are so dangerous that even law enforcement don't go to them areas

completely untrue, there are no areas that law enforcement do not enter.

And I have never misconstrued your words, nor have I ever insulted and abused you, perhaps you could give me the same respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

The notion that the integrity of one's view on refugees can be determined on whether they would actually house a refugee in their own home is just so hopelessly daft. A lot of problems with poverty and homelessness in this country could be helped by people bringing others into their own homes — the reason this doesn't happen is not because people don't care about the problem or want it to be addressed — but simply that people don't like to have strangers in their personal private space. Things work in balance and tandem, you don't have to abandon every last personal or selfish interest you have as a person in favour of something you advocate in order to avoid being a hypocrite.

As for court claims, refugees have rights under international and domestic law — they are not rightless and cannot just be subjected to entirely arbitrary mistreatment without recourse. If a claim is successfully upheld by a court then that is because a right has been violated or a duty has been neglected. You don't just walk into a courtroom complaining that the food isn't Michelin star quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Clearly you have well-developed arguments on the matter.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the issue is even if someone is deemed not eligible to stay in Ireland and is given a deportation order they are told to manually do it. This is nonsense. In most cases they don't and eventually get refugee status so the system is basically no system at all.

There is no real fear of deportations as they are rarely carried out so it's basically saying if you come here no matter if you are legit or not chances are you will end up being able to stay here. This is not sustainable and it shows.

Advertisement