Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Keeping Craig Gilroy out wasn't a big achievement, and both Bowe and Trimble were on their last legs at that point, Bowe got 1 minute against Wales. None of them ever played for Ireland again, whereas Conway only made his debut in the last game of that 6N.

That 6N was not indicative of a major importance of Zebo to Ireland.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

And, conversely, when Sexton got injured, it was invariably Paddy Jackson that Schmidt would turn to; that’s a large part of the reason Madigan has only 4 Ireland starts.

To be clear, I don't care about Madigan, he was rubbish, but this just isn't correct.

Paddy Jackson started two games under Schmidt before Madigan announced his departure, Joe's first game vs Samoa in 2013 and an RWC warm up against Wales in 2015, whereas Madigan started a world cup quarter final. Even when things were going tits up in that QF, Jackson stayed rooted to the bench. Rightly or wrongly, Joe absolutely did not turn to Jackson more. He just didn't.

The SA tour is irrelevant because Madigan was already out the door. Schmidt decided he'd rather go on a three test tour to SA with only two out halves, rather than pick the guy about to go to France.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How I've missed these Zebo for Ireland conversations!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Maybe I’ve the timelines off. But the fact is Madigan didn’t just miss opportunities because of Sexton.

And if you’re going to cite injuries to Zebo’s competitors, it only seems fair to do the same for Madigan; for example, Jackson missed the entirety of the 2015 6 Nations thru injury.

During which, Keatley got a start vs Italy ahead of Madigan.

And as soon as Madigan was leaving, Jackson started all 3 Tests vs SA and showed more than Madigan ever did for Ireland.

The reality is, even tho they have comparable caps, Zebo has 3 times as many minutes. There’s a reason for that.

Sometimes the simplest answer is the best one. It’s cos he was a better player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Munster to play Crusaders confirmed on Saturday 3rd February. Venue not confirmed yet so could potentially be exploring PUC hosting it. https://twitter.com/Munsterrugby/status/1674312254953598976?t=vPcbNe-7D6VjPE8GLEYBMA&s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Great headline and then you see the date and realise it isn't going to be quite the clash of the champions after all.

Will still be a great occasion I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They'll play Bristol Bears also, same as South Africa A last season which suggests there's some sort of arrangement in place behind the scenes with the same people arranging the fixtures. That bodes well for the future and potentially another similar game next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's on a 6N weekend. (Ireland play in France on the Friday night). I hope it's an evening KO and doesn't clash with the other 6N games.

They're also playing Bristol the following Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Another vanity fixture 😂

This type of event can only be good for Munster, helps with badly needed income, keeps lads not involved with Ireland focused during the international window and gives valuable development time to the wider squad.

I think it will also be very much a game the fans will want to get to see, I can see them trying out PuC again for this game.

Meh. Zebo had a higher ceiling but Madigan got a lot closer to his. Madigan had to contend with a generational talent / world player of the year in the same position, but it was his inability to push ahead of Gopperth or Jackson that put the writing on the wall. Zebo didn't have to deal with a Sexton sized obstacle in his career path to being an international back three, but when all options were fit it's hard to argue that he was first choice either.

• Advertisement

He was in competition with Ireland’s most decorated player in Rob Kearney tho.

You’d forget he was called up to the Lions as injury cover too. Madigan wasn’t remotely close to that conversation. (I don’t think it’s even all that close to suggest Zebo was a better player tbh).

But bringing some much needed levity to this place:

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Regardless if teams it’ll be a sell out in PUC, biggest club game possible for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Personally I think you are splitting hairs and being overly precious about a player you are a fan of. I wouldn’t rate Madigan very highly as a player. Though comparing an outhalf to a wing, is a fairly futile exercise. Neither player was particularly important for Ireland. Both were very easy to replace.

Personally I think you are splitting hairs and being overly precious about a player you are a fan of.

Ah c’mon Stephen, that’s very unfair. (It’s more than borderline playing the man not the ball).

Whatever way you slice it, 24 starts isn’t exactly a trivial amount. No, he was never Sexton levels of importance. But he had his importance to Ireland. Much moreso than Madigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think it could be played there too but I wonder because it clashes with the 6Ns could that have an impact on ticket sales. We have 3 home 6Ns games this year so anyone buying tickets for them might be somewhat cash strapped. We also have an extra game v The BaBas in the autumn in Thomond Park.

But he had his importance to Ireland. Much moreso than Madigan.

Again - this is one of those things that I'd be inclined to agree with but I'm not sure is actually true. If Zebo was injured before any of the games he started for Ireland you wouldn't be immediately concerned by his lack of availability. It wouldn't dramatically weaken the team.

I can think of a good few starts Madigan had for Ireland where if he was similarly struck down you would be quite concerned, the World Cup quarter final being the most obvious one.

I think Zebo had a bigger influence on the game and was a more popular fan figure, but did he deliver more impact for the Irish team on the pitch? I don't think so.

I never said he only missed opportunities due to Sexton. But you made a claim, the exact opposite of which was true.

You keep trying to argue Zebo was better. Grand. The post you replied to literally says "Madigan was shyte" so I'm not sure what battle you're fighting.

But Zebo was never an important player for us. Never. He was useful in an injury crisis but beyond that, there was always someone ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ah, we've moved onto what's "important".

Well if you don't ascribe that to a player who featured in 10 of 11 possible internationals in a season (omitted only against Canada), you're in fairly select company.

Indeed no, it would be fairer to compare him to Dave Kearney. Though Dave never left Ireland, so it’s not relevant either. Zebo was first choice for one 6 nations campaign. He really wasn’t that important to Ireland and even if he stayed, he would have been replaced by Stockdale the next year. You can split hairs about the relative unimportance in terms of Irish selection between Zebo and Madigan but the truth is, neither were that important. You could point to the fact Madigan started a World Cup quarter final. Where as Zebo didn’t play in any significant game in that World Cup. Again it still doesn’t change the point that neither were really that important to Ireland and them leaving made no difference to the national squad, except maybe to improve it.

I can think of a good few starts Madigan had for Ireland where if he was similarly struck down you would be quite concerned, the World Cup quarter final being the most obvious one.

A good few? That’s just not true Venjur. It’s just not. I’ve tried to be completist here, and it looks like he had 6 starts in total for Ireland (according to ESPN; I previously said 4 but all rugby stats only go back as far as 13/14).

They were against:

Agentina, Canada, Romania, Georgia, USA and Scotland.

The Argentina game was the QF obviously. The Scotland game was a RWC warm-up.

So rather than the QF being the most obvious one, I’d suggest it is the only one.

Conversely, 22 of Zebo’s starts were against Argentina, Australia, England, France, NZ, Scotland, SA and Wales.

did [Zebo] deliver more impact for the Irish team on the pitch? I don't think so.

Going by the above stats, he very clearly did.

• Advertisement

I never said he only missed opportunities due to Sexton.

Another poster implied it; hence my including it, it’s part of the discussion.

But you made a claim, the exact opposite of which was true.

This is a bit rich tbh, but you’ll notice I held my hands up and admitted it got the timelines wrong.

so I'm not sure what battle you're fighting.

You’re again completely overlooking your part of the conversation here. It was the same with the Kleyn discussion tbh.

But Zebo was never an important player for us.

I said he had his importance. I think that’s a completely fair statement.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Can we do Donncha Ryan versus Fergus McFadden next?

You could point to the fact Madigan started a World Cup quarter final.

You could. But that, along with a RWC warm-up game vs Scotland, were literally his only 2 starts against a Tier 1 Nation.

You can point to 22 for Zebo.

That’s not splitting hairs. That’s significantly more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Funnily enough, splitting hairs - or at the very least, styling them - is one of few areas I'd rate Madigan ahead of Zebo.

How many games did Sexton not start between 2012 and 2015?.

Significantly more yes but what difference does that make to the original point. Which is neither were particularly important for Ireland. Neither were ever likely to be regularly first choice in their position. The varying degrees of their unimportance doesn’t seem very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

McFadden covered far more positions. Way more valuable player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's a laughable comparison. Look at their careers abroad, Madigan only lasted one season in the top 14 before going off to the English second tier. Zebo played three seasons in the Top 14, with one of the top 5 clubs in Europe at the time, and reached a Champions Cup Final (where he scored two tries). Madigan's level was at a bottom half Premiership Club, Zebo's was at one of the best teams in Europe.

The varying degrees of their unimportance doesn’t seem very relevant.

In a discussion about the merits of one versus the other, I would say it’s singularly relevant tbh.

And I think that’s a pretty harsh way to frame the career of guys who had good days in green for us.

Was there a discussion about 1 versus the other? I missed that. I wrongly assumed it was a comparison between two international players. Who decided to move abroad to play rugby. Neither of whom were regular starters or vital to the teams success.

• Advertisement

Again, you’re drawing an equivalence between them when in reality there was none.

Zebo had significantly more starts, amounting to significantly more minutes against significantly higher-calibre opposition and was significantly more important than Madigan.

Because he was a better player. You don’t seem to agree.

But the stats, which I’ll be repeating at this point, bear that out.

Advertisement