Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Beware a 28kWh ioniq might struggle 160km in worst case conditions of high motorway speed , and below freezing conditions like we get end of January each year. You can top up at work but beware work chargers could get very busy in next 12 or 24 months and no guarantee they will work reliably or be fixed quickly if broken. You also want to allow some spare range for evening trips to shops or visiting friends. My ioniq was used for a 110km commute which was ideal as it left spare range and was guaranteed to make the trip in worst case winter. I would not recommend a 28kWh for a 160km commute due to needing to possibly charge 2 times per day sometimes but it could be done and 160km range could be done if you slowed down when freezing temperatures reduce range. A car with 38kWh+ battery would make life more comfortable but cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think you had an ioniq 28 at one point, yes?

Anyway, I have had two and done over 100k km in them combined, nearly ran out twice too. I think unless the full road is 120 from door to door 160km will be fine all year round. If you're getting low just slow down to 110. I wouldnt pay a substantial premium for a 38 in that instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Agreed with @ELM327 - if you are going to do big miles, do it as cheaply as possible, so a cheap high mile out of warranty Ioniq 28kWh for about €12-14k is ideal for that 160km commute (take it handy on bad winter days). You will save a small fortune over any other car, electric, hybrid or diesel. You take the risk of something bad happening to the car on the chin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

Absolutely agree if you don't regularly equire range outside of commute. That's what killed me with an L30, that was in the heady days when I'd get over 150kms per charge😭. I had a 120km commute but frequently had to cover 30km or more when I got home. This meant constant topping up either in work when charger available or on way home. Became a pain and meant the diesel was often used for these additional journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Whilst I agree on most of what you are saying, the servicing costs are a bit of a misnomer, its just oil, oil filter and an air filter every other service, a timing belt every 100,000 km's, clutch eventually if its manual but if we compare like to like it would be an automatic.

An EV still has CV joints, bushes, ball joints, bearings, brake pads, brake discs, springs, shock absorbers and so on that still require maintenance / inspection and replacing, it is a folly to think they do not require servicing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

My experience with servicing costs over the years are that the usual extras (over and above oil, fluids, plugs, etc.) are brake related, pads and/or discs. As the brakes on an EV are only actuated on heavy braking they don't wear as they would on an ICE so that's actually another substantial saving!

Shoulda got Ioniq 28kWh instead of Leaf 30kWh! You really needed that extra bit of range.

Agree with you that suspension affects all cars, EVs included. But not normally any expensive work needed until the car has done a lot of mileage, like 150k km or so. For many people this is irrelevant as the car simply won't ever reach that. Particularly second family cars.

As @Paul Kiernan says an EV barely uses brakes. I saw a vid a while back about a Dutch Tesla Model S being tested with 400k km on it. It had the original brake disks and was only on the second set of brake pads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

It seems to be not a bad deal if 4 seats is enough for someone.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-id-3-pro-s-tour-82kwh-2021/34404401

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think a lot of folk latch onto the Tesla mantra that lack of regular services does not impact their warranty, that of course does not mean no servicing but does mean servicing in a greatly reduced manner.

Cost of those that choose to get regular servicing should be a lot less too, e.g. I paid €77 for a main Nissan dealer service on our Leaf

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

People feeling the squeeze, lots and lots of ID.3 for sale. Now is your chance to pick up a bargain. Would that guy really refuse a €26k offer transferring the money there and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

I didn't think market correction would happen this quickly, I mean we all know EV's were way overpriced, only a fool would think it costs VW €50,000 to put a 77kWh battery and an electric motor in a car, besides maybe the Ioniq 28kWh when it came out and was 22k for a while, but all the rest were well overpriced

Nissan are still selling Leaf 62kWh €36,000, imagine the fool buying that outright and trading it in a few years

Still though its getting crazy, ICE are going up in price used and EV's way down

You've changed your tune though Unkel?

I can remember you basically recommending any EV for posters to buy, practically free to run, €1 for 100km etc, car will pay for itself.

Haven't changed my tune at all. My own EVs in fact cost zero to run for a lot of the time 😂

But things change, like electricity now costs 300% of what it cost a couple of years ago while petrol and diesel are still more or less the same. Nobody could predict stuff like this. Also there are simply hundreds of ID.3 coming out of lease, these are dumped on the market now. And a lot of people have ordered Tesla Model Y after the huge price drops (also highly unpredictable) which affected the entire market (not just EVs), with Tesla offering the owners terrible trade in, so people are under pressure to sell privately and take a hit

The one constant was always my prediction that EVs at the bottom end (read sub €10k or so) are holding their value very well, they could even go up in value as more and more people want a cheap EV as a second family car. And there is no easy way to import them from the UK any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭coolbeans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Not for a id3. There is a Tour 5 that has five seats in a id3 but I think you had to pay extra for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I drove 24 KWh leafs home from Dublin through Belfast. Nenagh be a walk in the park 😂

Your Leaf could fast charge (well 45kW), that car can only charge at 3.3kW so takes a couple days to bring it from Nenagh to Dublin 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

The Tour 5 cost less than the better equipped 4 seater back in 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

The Tour 4 seater was around €2,100 more expensive in March 2021

And the Tour 4 seater, had the following highlighted items, which are not on the Tour 5, allthough, “Area View”, for some bizarre reason, was excluded from the Tour 4 seater, but was included with the Tour 5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭electricus

They look more like the 2022 pricing. This is from May 2021

Loads of people predicted those things you listed and even the bottom end will be affected with battery prices dropping, so can't see your prediction lasting too long either.

Supply is outstripping demand at the moment, hence VW scaling back production big time.

EV's have many downsides, many predicted EV's are gonna be a hard sell to the masses, lets be honest you need to be a homeowner to own an EV which is a big requisite and probably need solar too with electricity market being so slow to react to market changes , relying on any public charging is a risk, thus it's an inferior technology to a big market, the gal/guy taking a credit union loan for €10,000 and living week to week in a rented place have no business buying an EV and most countries are in a housing crisis just like we are.

It's great for some of us, as I own a home, getting solar and will 100% be getting an EV as next car, MG4 440bhp xpower if it comes in for 42-43k will be the one I will get but wouldn't say no to a sub 30k 200bhp/60kWh hatch like an ID3 either.

I think anything bought in 2021 will be looking at the usual ICE 50% depreciation by late 2024.

@Stevie2001 - "Loads of people predicted those things you listed and even the bottom end will be affected with battery prices dropping, so can't see your prediction lasting too long either."

Did they predict these things now? Like electricity prices trebling because the war in Ukraine? Show me, oh wait you can't 😂

Battery prices aren't really dropping much and how on earth would that impact the value of bottom end EVs even if it did? In fact it's the opposite, batteries from end of life EVs command very strong prices on eBay, much stronger than 3-4 years ago, even though the batteries are now older and further degraded.

Your propaganda sites like RTE, Reuters etc where I imagine you get yours news from wouldn't have told you, but my half Ukrainian wife family talked about there will be a war with Russia any day now for the last 10 years, it was no surprise to them it finally came to a head.

Battery prices have been dropping every year for the last 30 years, its only now EV's are mass produced, wait a few years and they'll be like all products that are mass produced, worthless. If some Chinese company like BYD make a Polo for 18k with a 60kWh battery in 2026, what do you think a crappy old 24kWh Leaf battery will be worth? Scrap yards will be full of old gen EV's in time, just like how they are with ICE now, it takes time but it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭positron

Just got a quote for 2.5k to fix our 6 year old Renault Megane Sport Tourer (and 3 weeks wait to get parts). And to add insult to injury, the car just came off service (with the quote for the major bill) and as I got home and stopped and started the car there's a "check stop & start" message on the dash. Went back and they are saying I have to book it in for another day in and pay diagnosis fees all over again. Incredible "eff you" attitude!!

I wish I had bought the 28kw Ioniq back in 2017 - I test drove one, 5k scrappage and the whole lot.

I missed that 12k ioniq a few pages back. Waiting for another good deal to popup.

There's still the one for €13k for sale on DD

What's wrong with it?

Out of warranty Ioniq 28kWh can and do go wrong too and who's gonna fix it for you if it does, another main dealer?

Look at page 22 here for example

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0 - Page 22 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

"Quick question to see if anyone has came across this issue. My Ioniq has developed a noise which the dealer has said he is sure is coming from the motor. But to properly diagnose he will need to remove the motor. The problem is, they said they will not repair the motors, only replace them, at a cost of €10,000. Car is 3 weeks out of warranty. I've been onto Hyundai customer care, and they are not very helpful. Anyone heard of this? I definitely do not want to spend €10k to repair or replace a motor on a5 year old car."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

These cases are very rare. Used parts are probably available now from.uk, so get a motor and gearbox (reduction drive) and swap out. I changed my ioniq 28kWh reduction gearbox oil myself at 100,000km specifically to prevent this possible issue. I had access to a car lift and it took me about 10 minutes. If you had to pay for a used motor and a mechanic to swap it I would say you would have change from 3 grand. Possible half that if unkle did it!.

Just today the 13k ioniq owner posted on Facebook that it's 13k and open to quick sale and negotiation so 12k or so and keep 3 or 4k in your emergency piggy bank. As I said one under warranty is better for those who don't like to take a chance

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398421950294098/permalink/2901097650026513/

[Quote]

28kwh battery

220 Summer 180 Winter range

120,00O Miles

Full Hyundai Service History

Trading in very shortly so happy to have a conversation about price

[/Quote]

Advertisement