Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

We have PV panels for over two years. We have a rural 24 hour meter and just got our smart meter installed last week.

Left energia early last year and no FIT back from them to date despite numerous calls about it to them.

We had refused a smart meter install last year as the installers had arrived to install one last year while we were abroad. We got a phone call to say they were on the property. We weren't there obviously so they couldn't install it. So we were put back on the list.

We are now with SSE airtricity since August last year and no FIT from them either since. Energia is saying that the ESBN/CRU have said we returned 0 back to the grid. ESB have our NC6 as well.

Is it the case that we are not entitled to be paid as we refused the meter last year?

At this stage it seems futile to chase it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

Have you set up an ESB Networks account? https://www.esbnetworks.ie/

That will show if ESB has been logging export.

Look at the A- stat on your smart meter. Press the green button a few times until you see it. Anything over zero shows that you have begun exporting.

Someone else will go through the deemed export routine. It's never been an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

It takes at least a month after getting the smart meter installed until it shows up on the ESB portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For folks on smart meters who are getting the wrong export amount, I'd suggest just for peace of mind to calculate the number of kWh you'd get from deemed export and see if that more closely matches the amount you received

I would not be surprised one bit if ESBN either sent the wrong amount, lost the data and sent an estimated amount, or never bothered collecting the data and sent an estimated amount

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭con747

If you were not present when they called why would they have you listed as refusing one? If they couldn't fit it because you were on holiday I doubt they can call that a refusal of one. I would be finding out why you are not getting paid and who said you refused the smart meter. Also if you haven't activated it or accessed data on it be careful as once activated you can never go back to other plans and some have said even accessing the data tied them into being stuck on smart plans when changing supplier. It was mentioned on the switching thread.

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

Contact CRU direct and ask. There is a form on their website. Reply quickly. Explain you were abroad and didn't refuse the meter. Assuming you haven't since.

I was in a similar situation. Energy provider said they got a 0 amount from ESB so couldn't pay me. Called ESB who said call CRU.

CRU told me I am not entitled to it on a 24hr meter as it can be swapped to a smart meter. That would be the same for you - but worth 10mins of your time to file in the form on the website with your meter number. It's not 'cancelling the smart meter install' that stopped u getting FIT

For those receiving FIT from SSE Airtricity, I received confirmation that payments are issued in May and October.

The May payment covers the export period 1st October to 30th April.

The October payment covers the export period 1st May to 30th September.

My payments have matched those periods.

If you received a payment on your June bill and it seems smaller than expected then it's because you were paid for export up to April 30th and your May/June export will be in the October payment.

Why one export period is 7 months and the other is five, I don't know.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Only started hearing of this of late. So once you get credited €200 for exporting energy, you are taxed on it? Seems ridiculous to have a static value given the fluctuation of energy (and thus CEG/FIT) prices.

How does that work? What type tax is it (income, VAT, etc)? What level of tax %?

Do you need to do anything other than add a 2nd name to the bill?

Once each name on the bill qualifies you can add as many as you like for the €200 each exemption afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Stupid question but who installs the meter, ESBN or your supplier?

The reason I ask is I'm nearing completion of my house. ESBN have asked me to sign up with a supplier and have my sparky submit the paperwork when he's finished. I have an MPRN but it isn't active yet, would I be right in presuming this will happen when the electrician sends off the wiring cert? Without an active MPRN I cannot sign up to a supplier as I tried to do this week.

Final question...Can I choose to have D/N meter installed in a new build or am I stuck with installing a smart meter? 7kW array with 5kW inverter (no battery initially).

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

So if you have three names on your bill you can go for €600 tax exemption?

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

I assume this is like any other additional income that you may earn. This is something that you are liable to declare in your tax return; but it’s not like the energy provider are going to deduct anything as source.

Yes if all names are eligible for tax purposes afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

So once you get credited €200 for exporting energy, you are taxed on it? 

Yes and No. You become liable for the tax after €200 credit, but you wont actually be taxed until you declare it in a tax return! 😉

How does that work? What type tax is it (income, VAT, etc)? What level of tax %?

Via your tax return. Self declaration.

Its just considered as income, so it will get the full tax hit as if your employer gave you a pay increase by the same amount.

ESB Networks install the meter but you do it via a supplier who requests it on your behalf. I dont believe you can work directly with ESB Networks.

The only way you will get a D/N meter is if you signup for a d/n tariff with that supplier. At this moment they cant give you a smart meter to work with d/n tariffs so that would give you a d/n meter.

They are about to change that though and will soon have a smart meter that supports d/n tariffs so you might still end up with a smart meter depending on the timing of that request and when ESB Networks get to you.

• Moderators Posts: 12,372 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Thanks. So nothing to do here. Wife and I are on our bill already. Won't go over the €200 because we're deemed export, but good to know for others I know with solar. Do you only declare everything over the €200 as taxable?

How does that work for retirees? Say they get €600 credit, thus €400 taxable. I assume if they declare that then revenue does nothing because they're "earning" so little.

How does that work for retirees? Say they get €600 credit, thus €400 taxable. I assume if they declare that then revenue does nothing because they're "earning" so little.

Pretty much. On the other hand, if you are already in the high tax bracket you can expect 50%+ to be taken back off you for contributing substantially to improving the environment! 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

Our NC6 was active with SSE Airtricity for just a month last year, before we moved to Energia in November, so I didn't bother chasing deemed export with them.

Surprised to receive a €30 cheque for a month's deemed export today, out of the blue!

it actually isn’t even necessary to have your name on the bill. It might help if rev com decided to question you; as it shows you’re liable; but if you’re genuinely living at the address and contributing to the payment of the bill and can prove that you are still entitled to the credit on any revenue generated via FIT.

• Advertisement

It's been a good year and more for credits.

The initial €100 government credit at the beginning of last year and then 3x €183.49 on top of that. The return of PSO levy at €97. Also, if you are an SSE Airtricity user then there is an additional return of €24 as SSE are eschewing profit taking for a year.

Personally, we received €123.64 and €340.29 in CEG payments.

In total that's over €1235, which will certainly help with ROI on the purchase of the PV system.

The entire PV system cost €13,300 (6.4KW of panels, 5KW inverter and 5KW battery). After a grant of €3000 we have €9300 - €1235 = €8064 left to pay off.

Also, we can factor in electricity used that we didn't have to pay for as it was solar generated, which I estimate to be about €1000 worth of electricity. Taking that into account we have about €7000 left to pay on the initial €13,000. Almost half paid off in the 16 months since installation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

You can't count the gov grant or the pso levy in your payback. You would have got them no matter what. And it's 200 euro inc vat too

The CEG for sure helps a lot.

It's still free money. For those without PV, it helps pay the bills. For those who do have PV, it helps pay the bill of ownership.

You could have said the same about the grant, we would have gotten it anyway. The CEG too. We are never going to use 6MWh of electricity per year so we were always going to get CEG no matter what.

We could close our account with SSE and take the current €1000 credit in the form of a cheque and do the same credit harvest each year (no matter what the value) with different suppliers until we have gained a sum equal to the outstanding on the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

cheers for the info. i'll have to ponder my options re which tariff to go with.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

When you say CEG (Clean Energy Guarantee) your talking about FIT (Feed in Tariff) Payments right?

just making sure I’m not missing something here.

The solar grant is directly related to your solar install, it reduced your install cost.

The electric rebate or whatever you call it, didn't save you money from your solar install. Your only fooling yourself on your payback time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

I have a question, bought house back in 2016 which had PV panels installed.

I don't have the exact details of the system or installer, but house is exporting small amounts to the grid daily. Builder is not responding to requests for details.

I've heard from another person that ESB only accepting NC 6 forms from the installers.

Question on why is this form really needed? Surely a smart meter would be enough to show how much is exported and pay off that?

Its a notification form to ESBN that your installing something that can export to the grid. Its a requirement to having a grid tied inverter to be connected to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

But what if, as in a lot of cases, the installation happened before the requirements came into force?

Also what if it's a self installed system? How can you avail of FIT if ESB only accept forms from installers?

• Advertisement

Some members here sent in their own NC6 forms in the past and are receiving FIT, I am not sure if that can still be done though.

Advertisement