Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

But I don't see why a VW punter won't care about efficiency? Of course they care.

You've answered your own question.

But I guess the spend on electricity is a fraction of what they used to spend on diesel, so far less relevant.

Personally I don't care about efficiency either, but range is kinda important in an EV, surely you agree

You can always dream up a scenario where that extra 10-20% efficiency that a Tesla has, avoided a charging stop on some long journey but that's not an everyday thing and for long journeys you will need to stop anyway so does the extra 5-10mins on the charger really matter. I'd argue not and while you and me can run some numbers and figure out running costs and know the difference between a kW and a kWh the majority out there have no clue and dont want to have a clue.... back to my "keep it simple" point. Your average punter doesn't want to be interacting with an iPad to operate the car... they want simple point and go.

Anyway, the point here isn't to say that VW is better than Tesla or vice versa. The point was that they both have their selling points and the software issues on VW are largely resolved now. Its not brilliant software but its stable and better in places than Tesla and worse in others.

After that, people will buy whichever car floats their boat. There is no such thing as "the best EV" as its subjective, having the fastest charging car or whatever metric you pick, might matter alot to one person but be irrelevant to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Ive noticed travelling on longer motorway journeys during the week, since the last big update, that Im getting a couple episodes of phantom breaking with no traffic or obstacles on the side of the road.

I even reviewed the recording of when happened a couple of weeks back and there was nothing to indicate a trigger event.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@KCross - for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I think skipping a charge while driving due to efficiency is important, especially if you are not in the mood to stop, or when you do stop, there are two other cars waiting ahead of you, then I would be wishing I had driven a little bit less with my foot jammed on the accelerator :).

I like getting from A to B quickly so it isn't in my nature to drive under the speed limit on motorways. I rarely make trips long enough to having to charge (motorway range of 300km helps) and I'd rather slow down to 100km/h on these rare occasions so I can come home without the need to charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I do a weekly 350 - 400 km round trip, mostly motorway, and we're very happy the MY LR does it with 20% to spare which augurs well for being able to do it year round without having to stop to charge. Not sure how other EV brands would compare, we get 17 kWh per 100km which I've also seen other EV owners reporting.

@josip - that is very good going. I presume you drive at about 100km/h on motorways to get that 500km range potential?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I was a bit loose with numbers there. It's 340km on motorways and then there's a variable amount of local driving every time, 10-60km. But i realiaed that only 240km of the motorway is at 120, the rest is 100 on the N7 from Naas and around the M50. And for the past few weeks conditions have been ideal. 20C, little wind and dry roads. I calculated in my head I was using 18 kWh per 100km on the 120 sections.

Still very good going even in ideal summer conditions. 240km at 120km/h plus 100km at 100km/h plus another up to 60km at local speeds. That's 400km and you still have 20% left, so effectively a 500km real life (ideal conditions) range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I get phantom slowing, I used to get it on my leaf as well so I'm not too bothered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

A friend of mine who's anti-EV and very anti-Tesla works for Aviva. He was saying that autopilot is so dangerous and has caused so many crashes that Aviva are sending letters to all the Tesla drivers they insure asking them to be extra vigilant when using it or to not use it at all. Can anyone here confirm? Obviously, I had nothing to go on when he said this but it doesn't sound right to me.

He also said EVs are generally more dangerous than ICE cars because of the extra torque and acceleration. Apparently, EV premiums will be shooting up as a result of this too.

Edited: Misspelled Aviva twice 😅

Post edited by Bovakinn on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd say that's about as nonsense as it gets tbh, either your friend is troilling or you are

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

So your "friend" is anti-Tesla eh?

Could it possibly be that your "friend" has no hope of ever buying a new Tesla outright and goes around spouting this nonsense to anyone that will listen? Totally justifies his "choice" to roll around in an aging Polo of course.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The biggest thing affecting Tesla insurance costs is the perception that they are costly to repair. The RWD is in group 46/50 of UK insurance bands.

I pay €480 fully comprehensive with all options ticked, full NCB protection, etc. on my 2017 Tesla Model S with full self driving, insured value €49k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

From Facebook

Just been to the Tesla centre on the Boucher Road and they have taken delivery of a LHD Model S Plaid that they'll be using as a demonstrator. They're not currently scheduling any test drives but they thought they might be starting next week. Apparently it will also be making an appearance at an event on the 5+6th so it might well be making an appearance at the EV rally at the Titanic slipway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm sure you also get cheap insurance on any other car too, the combination of car, person, and where you live all influence the cost. Most people see a modest increase when switching to Tesla as they are usually in higher insurance brackets (at least according to Thatcham). It's a pity we don't have a transparent system of insurance groups like the UK.

I seen decreases from the leaf and i3.

Paid €236 fully comp on MSP90DL.

Funnily enough, the M3P is €400.

• Advertisement

They don't offer the "Gumbo's anecdotes about Tesla being better than legacy auto" discount to the rest of us 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

I think he's anti-Tesla because of Musk rather than the company itself.

No, he could definitely get one if he wanted, he drives a nice diesel estate and his wife got a new mini a few years back. He says that he'll consider an EV when the range is decent, although he doesn't have an exact number of what range he wants. He also said that he's under no illusions about EVs being better for the environment when "most of our electricity comes from imported gas and coal". I think he's a lost cause. 😂

Christ, the majority of people went through that stage years ago. He must be ultra conservative. He one of those Iona institute members? 😏

It’s not an anecdote if it’s fact, I would have thought?

And it’s not one of those friends best mates dog told me story 😂

It was weird as when I swapped from the leaf to an i3, it went down by a few euro. Then swap to a model s P85+ and no change despite going from 170bhp to 420bhp and I sure as hell thought they’d increase it going to the 762bhp P90DL!

I paid €1000 for the Evo 5 with 350bhp 😮

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

He also said EVs are generally more dangerous than ICE cars because of the extra torque and acceleration. Apparently, EV premiums will be shooting up as a result of this too.

EVs arent dangerous. Drivers of EVs can be dangerous though.

Funnily enough, they can be dangerous is ICE cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

When I first called my insurance at the time I was considering buying a Tesla, the lady at other end of the phone made a deep sigh noise, then proclaimed that Teslas go on fire a lot so would be expensive to insure..

I asked her to check her facts and come back to me with a quote. I got a call from another person, stating my premium would not change.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Josieg

I'm insured with Aviva. M3 insured since September last. Policy was moved from a Skoda Fabia. No extra charge. Renewed in March with Aviva for €320. No letter warning me to not engage AP. I smell BS from your friend 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Once again, I'll ask you to provide Teslas intervention numbers. Without those, the accidents with FSD engaged figures are literally meaningless.

Your constant parroting of Elon's claim that FSD is safer than humans is as reckless as he himself is. Tesla have every reason to bend the truth on their figures because it's so important to their brand perception and stock value, hence Musk himself saying Tesla as a company is worthless without FSD.

And the NHTSA is currently investigating Tesla. The NHTSA has so far discovered that FSD is configured to disconnect when a crash is unavoidable. Now I am sure you will insist that isn't so they can claim the driver was in control at the time of impact, not FSD, and is therefore responsible, but it looks suspicious to me.

Tesla's FSD safety claims are probably not truthful because this FSD disconnection before impact feature would doubtlessly be making the data they are manipulating, a complete nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Advertisement