Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

I've thought about it a bit more and maybe I can explain it another way.

Again consider the very simple example above:

It is a small population of 9 residents happily accommodated in 4 households.

So they have an average household size of 2.25

Would you agree that as long as there are 9 residents and 4 houses in that community happy with their housing, the total housing stock for that community is not chronicly undersupplied, irrespective of what is actually available on the market at any given time?

The number of residents, number of houses and average household size is data that confirms to us there is not a chronic undersupply of houses in that market, irrespective of what the immediate of demands of the individual residents might be.

It is clearly obvious from the data that building two new houses and two new apartments would lead to significant oversupply. This is the data that was ignored by Canny McSavvy in favour of the narrative.

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

the problem is just supply in your example, it is no liquid, no one can move

you solve this by doubling the size of the market

it doesn't make sense

you add in one more semi d 3 bed, you fix it, jack and jill move there, you free up the market and everyone can move, in sequence, but because of the need of one extra house you then become locked again, this is the problem being faced, population growth

the only way out, add another semi d 3 bed, its the compromise between the big house and apartment

the only way you can add another semi d is with new stock, new stock is hard to build in established areas, so if you want to live in d6, you are still going to be dealing with a supply issue and why the prices will always be high

so this is a perfect example of why you plan ahead, rather than behind the problem and why you need oversupply or a float in the market to make it work, otherwise deadlock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Paddy has been caught having an affair on boards.ie. Mary is divorcing him now and has kicked him out.

Dinny and Denise could be on the rocks too according to their daughter.

Is the area now under supplied? Will it be? Should we make sure there are a few spare houses so we dont ened up with a homeless crisis? Or should we just wait til it all happens?

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I said 130k a year because that was the old figure, I forgot that you don't even need to earn 130k a year to buy a 500k house now, you "only" need 112k a year.

The point all along is that the 3 bed semi-ds in Dublin are geared at FTBs. If I had to guess, I would guess that 90+% of all new, 3 bed semi-Ds sold in Dublin are bought by FTBs, including the ones at the ~500k price point. They are literally the target market.

All of these statements can be true:

1. 500k 3 bed semis are unaffordable for many FTBs, particularly those who don't have Dublin salaries, or only have one income.
    2. The overwhelming majority of 500k 3 bed semis are bought by FTBs.
    3. The 450->500k price bracket is pretty much the average price paid for a house by FTBs in Dublin.

So when you said:

"Very few FTBs in Dublin are buying 3bed semi-ds these days at 500k a pop"

I don't think you were accurate. There are lots of FTBs buying 3 bed semi-ds at 500k a pop.

• Advertisement

Agree with you on this.

There are a number of conflicting new build housing need forecasts bandied about ranging from 20 - 70k per annum.

They can't all be correct, which of these do you think is most accurate?

Is the area now under supplied? Will it be? Should we make sure there are a few spare houses so we dont ened up with a homeless crisis? Or should we just wait til it all happens?

I agree with you also that we need to plan ahead for spare houses so we don't end up with a homeless crisis.

And I'd ask you the same question, of all the new build forecasts you've seen which do you think is the most accurate to ensure we have enough spare houses?

there needs to be 2 amounts really, how many per year to address the lack of builds and catch up

then maintenance numbers

you need to balance the two without creating massive fluctuations in the building market, so 50k, as high as you can go really while being realistic

then mid 30s per year

the main issue is control of this number when its not in the best interest of developers and getting workers

there needs to be gov involvement despite the balls theyll make of it

By 50k have seen you any published forecasts by experts that sound correct or where you getting that figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

What do *you* think is the most accurate forecast?

You have asked this question almost 5 times now in the last few days - what point is it you are trying to make?

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm aware I asked it of you and you ignored it. It's no problem, and I din't badger you about it.

I have claimed on here many times I think a lot of the belief that the only way to solve the current problems in the market is to build more new builds is driven by the media headlines rather the data, and I've been lampooned for that. This was also point of the article in the IT so roundly rubbished here - the author contends that the narrative is not supported by the data.

There is no shortage of posters willing to say how ridiculous that is, but so far nobody has actually cited any data, they've only repeated the narrative.

I have asked the question a few times because surely, if the opinion that "The only solution to the current problems is to build more houses" is supported by data rather than headlines the person expressing the opinion would have some idea what that figure is.

If the figure is too low you won't solve the problem, if it is too high we'll end up in oversupply.

So what is the figure?

I think the figure is somewhere between 20k and 30k per annum, and I think we need to concentrate almost exclusively on apartments. No more 3 bed semis. But unfortunately I cannot link any expert forecasts that I've seen as I've yet to read any that I think are credible.

I am simply asking which ones you, or any of the other posters who rubbished the IT article, think are credible?

does the IT article cite data? no apparently there was chronic under supply but now there isn't as if by magic

can you cite the data?

my numbers are base on consensus data for numbers of new builds needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Not really. Its too simplistic. How about we let a few Ukranians into your sample "village". How does that change things? How many will you let in? Are you going to build them houses?

Ah consensus data which cannot be cited.

There is no doubt a consensus is essential for a strong narrative.

its in the Government housing for all strategy

the housing commission

based off measured population increase done by the CSO

Interesting you make that point.

So did the IT article:

The case that Ireland’s housing market is undersupplied now rests entirely on claims that measured housing output falls short of long-term housing demand forecasts. This is flimsy evidence because such forecasts are entirely notional, relying as they must on assumptions about things that are inherently hard to predict.

So 33,000 per annum?

It is estimated that Ireland will need an average of 33,000 new homes to be provided each year from 2021 to 2030.

And I am assuming you don't know what data and assumptions they have based that forecast on? I am not trying to catch you out, it would just be quicker if you did know and could link rather than me having to search for it?

this is the thing about research and doing forecasts, its the smart thing to do, might not always be right

refuting this with nonsense is mad

you could plan to assume population growth and say 80k extra people arrive, you adjust

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The x houses per annum figures are nonsense without context - e.g. at what point do you intend for the supply crisis to be over?

If new housing demand annualised was 10k for example, and pent up demand was 30k houses, and you built 11k every year for 30 years you might rectify the deficit by then.

Or if you built 20k per year for 3 years it would do the same job.

A simple forecast of X houses per year cannot be accurate because it doesn't contain enough information. You need a duration for that level of completions, and then a tapering off once the backlog is cleared.

cso population growth figures would be key to it and a shortfall in previous years, this is a low estimate

I wasn't there for the whole process of producing the report. This is from the department of housing

are you saying they are wrong

this is getting more hair brained as we go on

• Advertisement

It is the future assumptions about population growth and new build completions that are potentially problematic.

There is no point in coming up with an estimate of pent up demand based on a shortfall of previous assumptions they may have been incorrect, either to the low or the high side. We know what has already happened in terms of population size and houses built.

The idea of making an assumption about a backlog of pent up demand is ridiculous.

To calculate future housing need projections you need:

• Current population size
    • Current average household size.
    • Current housing stock number

With these figures you can work out what is the current spare housing capacity (if any).

Once you have that as a starting point, you can then make assumptions about future required spare capacity, changes in population size and household size snd make projections.

Does this make sense?

The above post I think covers a reply to this too, the shortfall in previous years is irrelevant because we can calculate what actually happened, and adjust accordingly be it up or down.

I found the source of the 33,000 new builds per annum - it is an ESRI report in conjunction with the Dept of Housing.

It has a huge amount of detail and clever assumptions concerning future population growth, based on mortality, fertility, migration rate etc.

And obviously they use this to make their best guess at population growth, and thus they calculate we need in one of their scenarios 33,000 new build units a year. It is this scenario that was used for the Housing for All declared targets.

But as far as I can see, nowhere in the report do they state what they are basing the starting point from - for all the modelling about future population growth and consequent housing demand, they publish nothing about the current population size, housing stock and spare capacity.

Their assumptions about future population growth may well be correct, but if they are not factoring in whether we have 0%, 2%, 20% or even -10% spare capacity from the present, the figure presented for future housing demand is meaningless.

This is the same across every future housing demand projection I have seen, hence why I said earlier I have not seen a credible projection.

https://www.esri.ie/system/files/publications/RS111.pdf

Post edited by hometruths on

Yes the government as they keep falling behind each year the numbers getting bigger to catch up

are you a conspiracy theorist? Or something

They do a census, it measures population growth, this is not an estimate

That is the starting point for population growth projections, they know numbers of births per year, immigration projections, this is the most fluid part

They also know how many houses are there are

They know vacancy rates, they know it's basically impossible to bring that below the 2% it's currently at, so there's no spare stock

Most of those houses are not in a position to be used

So new builds, renovations etc etc all account into the 30k figures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Any projection of housing demand I’ve seen gives a big range because two key variables are

• household formations (are we 2.2 or 2.3 people per house for example)

• net migration figures

Births and deaths are almost clockwork but the two above are not so easy to predict. Most projections give high and low end estimations based on varying assumptions of net migration and household formation. The difference in the results can be surprisingly high.

are you a conspiracy theorist? Or something

I'm just a guy that believes the data does not support the narrative. Some people do think that makes me a conspiracy theorist.

They do a census, it measures population growth, this is not an estimate

That is the starting point for population growth projections, they know numbers of births per year, immigration projections, this is the most fluid part

They also know how many houses are there are

They know vacancy rates, they know it's basically impossible to bring that below the 2% it's currently at, so there's no spare stock

I am not claiming the census is an estimate. Quite the opposite, that's the point. I agree it's an accurate figure.

But the accurate figures from the census tell us that there is spare stock. Whereas the narrative tells us there is no spare stock.

Which is more likely to be correct? The census or the narrative?

At the risk of cementing my reputation as a dog with a bone, any chance you could link to the most credible housing demand projections you've seen?!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Supply collapsing on daft.

16514 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Not something I’ve looked at a lot but Central Bank did something. I think all focus on - assume now is ok, what is year over year excess need. Not seen a detailed assessment of current need vs current stock which I feel where your view differs from others on here

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/publications/economic-letters/vol-2019-no-14-population-change-and-housing-demand-in-ireland-(conefrey-and-staunton).pdf

Advertisement