Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2023 Transfer Window - [Excluding Transfers to Saudi Arabia 25.07.23]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't think the draw of a guaranteed league medal at a club guaranteed to win the league anyway gives that much personal satisfaction. if we're that fickle about someone needing a medal for their legacy, i think we're a bit dumb. do i honestly think Kane becomes a better player if he wins a league title with a team guaranteed to win it? Not a chance. If he wins the Champions League with them, yes.

Haaland ain't staying at City longer than 5 years. and that's being generous. it's well documented that his career path is being meticulously planned out. he won't be at City long enough to destroy the record.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Honestly, I think Kovacic is clearly the Gundogan replacement he's even been given his old number. City will spend big this summer but they'll buy Gvardiol for a huge fee if they can offload Laporte

Is any player worth that sum of money, my answer would be no but I do think Rice is going to be very good at Arsenal in that he is PL proven, fits immediately into the current team and is an upgrade on the current options. Add in the English player tax plus his age and this is where you end up I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

City don't need him as much as Arsenal do (especially if they ship off Partey).

i know that doesn't matter to City because of their bottomless pit of money, but there is no point in wasting time on him. they've the best DM in the world, so Rice is not absolutely essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Harry Redknapp has come out saying Kane won't be going anywhere, that he won't be uprooting his family to Germany and he'll stay at Spurs next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah Rice never made much sense to join City.

Hes far to expensive to just be playing homegrown rock/paper/scissors with Carson and Phillips on the bench, and isnt displacing Rodri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rodri and Rice double pivot with Grealish, KDB and Silva in front of them would be a brilliant midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I can’t imagine Harry as being someone who would actually know that, rather than just making a prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

That age profile looks absolutely perfect to me. Just going off the top of my head but I'd say Liverpool were looking like that around 2018. The problem there was they let too many just age without replacing them gradually.

edit: nope, took a quick look on wiki and most of Liverpool's main players were hovering around 26/27 in 2018 rather than closer to 23/24. So a little out, so you can see why Liverpool peaked around 2018-2020, while you can argue Arsenal won't peak for another 4 years or so, possibly.

• Advertisement

Just realized I didn't even include Saka who's only 21😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's clever from Arsenal. They are building out a squad with an excellent age profile.

They'll be able to look at 1/2 replacements or upgrades a season after this summer like City can.

Also they have the stadium paid off the last few years haven't they? That's free'd up a lot of money you'd imagine.

They really got themselves into shape the last few seasons. Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Quite the clear out from Chelsea the last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Edit: replied to wrong post there, corrected below

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

As for Harry Kane, I'd love to see him in Munich and I'd love to trust the rumours but I believe it when it's 100% done.

Like someone else said moving to Germany is a big move culturally and everything especially when there is a family involved. One thing for a young kid like Belliongham another thing for a 29 years old England captain expecting their 4th child. Not saying it won't happen but I believe it when it actually happens.

• Advertisement

Those sums sound colossal and they are but they need to be looked at in the overall business context of the PL/CL circus. Plus when you compare it to players that are around the 60-70 mark - like Havertz or Antony just to give two random examples - I guess then he is that good. Antony and Havertz are good PL/CL quality but they're not going to be pivotal for your team. Declan Rice most likely will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

West Ham decided Rice was a 100 million player, and some mug payed it. Bang average no vision, mentally not all there.

Havertz fee is demented , 65 million on a total schmuck. Chelsea struck gold, should have been the bones of 30.

Arteta will have no excuses this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Maddison fits the "Spursy" type of profile, tidy player on the ball when given a bit of space but ultimately won't do much in the big games. He pretty much downed tools at last season at Leicester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Chelsea have offloaded 4 players to Saudi Arabia this week, plus another 2 to other PL clubs, and RLC to Milan; while signing Jackson on yet another 8 year contract (I thought UEFA had banned that). It's all go at the Bridge, isn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They haven't banned 8 year contracts. They have changed the FFP rules so that 5 years is the max that can apply for FFP calculations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

was that not the only reason for doing 8 year contracts? no one else is doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Chelsea signed Jackson just before UEFA imposed the 5 year limitation I think so I’m not sure if it applied to that transfer / contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I thought so.

From a Club pov it's doesn't make sense to offer 8 year deals.

If they player does well then he will be back in looking for better wages and longer deal anyway.

If they fail you have a player on massive wages that won't want to give up that money for 6/7/8 years so there is a serious downside

Not many clubs would be willing to take on that risk

thats a solid signing for Villa. Emery influence again turning them into a tasty looking outfit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Eight year contracts are not banned, you just can't amortise a transfer over more than 5 years for the purposes of FFP etc. They can still amotise in the accounts they submit to HMRC etc.

Without that FFP amortisation though there is not much point in handing out eight year deals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Very happy if this happens! big statement from the club.

Need an upgrade on A.Young (RB) and Traore/Bailey (Wing forward / Support Striker for Watkins) next.

Ideally actually an upgrade on Cash/Bailey and those two drop to the bench / rotation while we sell Traore (Young was already released) then we would have a very well stocked , but that might be asking for too much.

Still Torres & Tielemans so far really make our CB / CM competition very healthy.

CB: Torres, Mings, konsa, Carlos (gotta be selling Chambers now imo)

CM: Kamara, Tielemans, D.Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Emi Beundia (Dendoncker may surplus to requirements now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Good get for Villa. He was touted for alot of the big teams in Europe over the last couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Yeah, we weren’t in desperate need for a CB, but this guy was always linked with bigger moves than Villa before now.

I think Mount is a good addition for United but not quite sure how he reached 60 million with 1 year left on his contract

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

You would have thought their priority would have been a center forward but... I think Mount will be a quality signing for them long term.

It will be interesting to see if there is any truth to the budget they are supposed to have though as I don't know if they would get much more than Mount plus Onana or the likes with that, maybe they end up going for a cheaper option upfront and hope to get to next summer and Kane on a free. Or maybe that is why there is talks of selling the likes of Sancho as well as Maguire as then they would be able to spend more on a CF now.

That said I'm not sure who would take on either of those players wages given their form over the past year plus, let along a hefty transfer fee. Thankfully I shouldn't be seeing any more Maguire to Villa links now Torres has been signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

£55m + £5m for a player in the last year of his contract.

£250k a week, with the ability to bring it up to £300k a week with bonuses.

With those sort of numbers, it's easy to see why Liverpool cooled their interest from earlier this year. They would never make Mount their second highest paid player at this stage in his career, relative to the others in the squad currently.

Good player, but those numbers are a bit crazy IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mount is a good enough buy for 55-60m. He clearly has ability and could well turn out to be very good value for money at that proce.

But 250k a week, possibly rising to 300k is ridiculous, no where near worth that.

Delighted Liverpool did not think those wages were a good idea - if that's the reason they went cold on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't be so certain on the wages, or else of course people could have just got it wrong when they were saying that Ten Hag had implemented a wage cap on base pay.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The whole row with Chelsea blew up because he wanted the same as James's £250K so I doubt he lowered his expectations moving to another team.

I honestly think he'll be a brilliant signing.

He wanted parity at Chelsea to what Reece James is getting with his new contract, around £250k. One of the main reasons why he left - wanted the bigger contract.

Man Utd have been handing out stupid contracts in recent years, so there is a trend there. Maybe there that new ETH thing with contracts but we haven't really got any proof of it yet. Maybe the base wage cap is £250k? Massive amount for base pay.

Also, Matt Law is reporting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Mad money for a player that had 2 half decent seasons and has been missing for the last 18 months.

Glad Liverpool kept away from Mount.

I think he's a good player and can thrive in a system that suits. Pressing machine so I can see why Klopp was interested. I wouldn't count the last 6 months at Chelsea tbh as there was that impasse with the contact and Chelsea were not picking him as a result. From within FPL circles, there were times that Chelsea were publicly saying Mount was injured and unavailable for games but in reality he was fit and being left out of the match day squad because he wouldn't sign a new contract. That has an affect on a player.

My thinking is that Liverpool thought that they could exploit his situation with being in the last year of his contract and maybe picked him up around the £35m mark. Maybe £150k ish. I'd harbour a guess that that is what Alexis McAllister is getting, maybe even £100k. But when Mount is close to double that in both transfer fee and wages, you can see why they made the decision that they did.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That was only one reason. Loads others reported. Boehly seemingly wanted to tie him down for 7 years, own all his image rights, and have a loaf of other clauses. Again, trying to construct an NHL/NBA type contract for the premier league

Liverpool signed Nunez who had 1 good season. Mount was for 2 years one of the best players in the.league. He'd be exceptional in a klopp team imo

He was injured or dropped over contract issues much for most of the last 6 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Mount was never one of the best players in the league , a good solid player but he was never the quailty of player to be considered one of the best in the league.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Hilarious take on Rice. The "bang average" comment really shows how little you've seen of him. Made club captain at 23 (while he was vice captain before Noble's retirement) but somehow he's mentally not all there.

• Advertisement

He was absolutely one of the best performers in both 2020/21 when he was more of a playmaker and putting in brilliant defensive shifts too and 2021/22 when he contributed to 21 goals while also doing some of the same work, but in a more advanced position.

Anyone claiming he wasn't one of the best players in the league, for those 2 years has serious notions about what they know. Loads here are going down the overrated English trope that is so beloved of people here.

Remember there are 250-300 active players in the league..mount was a top 10 performer one year and top 20 another. I think that makes him one of the best in the league. Maybe not the most skilled, maybe not the most flair, but one of the best players in terms of consistently good performances. To claim otherwise is from someone who surely hasn't bothered watching him.

If he had signed for Liverpool, the story on here would be different. Would be , we paid too much but he's an excellent player. Same as most sensible United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i really like hte Mount signing for UNited, and being honest when it looked like liverpool were going to be getting him and macallister, I was very worried!

The 'gamble' for United, or any team signing him is that last season was a blip, and there is good reason to think that the case. If he can return to the form he had the 2 seasons previous to that, United have made a very good signing - and I think he will fit in brilliantly for what ETH wants to do.

The worry, from my part, is that he simply isn't enough, and I worry that United don't have the funds to do much more, and are failing massively (totally and completely so far) at raising funds for the other players needed.

Seemingly we are strong in for Onana, but no strikers are getting linked to any great degree.

United should be selling Henderson, Telles, Bailly, Maguire, Fred/McTominay, Pellestri (I really like Pellestri but we aren't going to play him, sell him) and we have sold no one.

Mount will be an excellent signing. He'll start most weeks, he'll get plenty of assists and chip in with goals as well. He'll probably be one of the United players with the most ball recoveries next season as well.

It's a good chunk of money given he'd one year left and the situation Chelsea were in but he'll be at United for 8 - 10 years so it's not overly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have been thinking about that, and maybe it is just post-transfer justification... but how much should any fan care about the last year of the contract piece of this?

Is Szoboszlai a better player than Mount? If they both get signed for the same/similar fee is Szoboszlai a better deal because he had longer on his contract?

If Mount had 4 years on his contract, would Chelsea have sold at all? Is being in the last year more so allowing the transfer to happen rather than particularly cheaply. Maybe fans need to reframe how they see value in a deal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement