Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2023-24 Mod Note in op 27/6/23 And 21/05/24

• 16-06-2023 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Fixtures for each team.

Mod Note: 27/06/23 - this is a General Thread to discuss the Premier League.

If you support a Premier League team you should be aware you are likely to read posts that are not always complimentary about the team you like. You are welcome to make counter points but you are not welcome to make comments about posters or fans of a club in response to points you don't like. Posters doing so will receive forum cards and or thread bans.

Mod Note: 21/05/24 NO Man City Charges Chat in this thread - it has a specific thread.

Post edited by Necro on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Great news to hear in the run up to the new season. It honestly feels like he's commentating on a funeral the last 5-10 years in about 95% of the games I've watched.

It'd be great to get Durey now. I think himself, Neville and Carragher could work well together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Tyler's voice was completely gone in the last year. It was very noticeable. Hope he is not suffering ill health and has a long retirement.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭Bugatti

As a Liverpool fan I detest City for cheating their way to success, but the players at the club deserve to enjoy the results of their hard work on the pitch. And on that point, I just wanted to say what a breath of fresh air Jack Grealish has been over the past week. Great to see a player genuinely enjoying and celebrating their wins. I’d say he’s a fantastic personality in the dressing room, he seems to be everyone’s friend and and you can see in his celebrations that he has a close relationship with back room staff, kit people, etc. I’d love to see more personalities like Grealish in the game. It needs these types of characters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Or... Remove the banter twins as well and get decent commentators in while they're making the changes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

As much as I hate Chelsea for all their dodgy/shady financial dealings over the last 20 years, the latest battle with the PL is ridiculously stupid and they are not entirely at fault.

Chelsea wanted to bring in Paramount as a new shirt sponsor but the PL blocked it as they are a steaming service and 'would upset broadcast partners'. So now instead Chelsea are going to bring in Stake.com as a sponsor (gambling company) even though gambling companies are banned from 2024 onwards. But of course they can circumvent that rule.

The same PL that allows PIF owned Sela to sponsor PIF owned Newcastle (above market value) even though that is against their rules also.

Sometimes I really do despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Year by year the whole thing implodes further into a farce of itself.

All the while also allowing PIFs influence on the investment fund that runs Chelsea to help them out of their FFP pickle. All above board and no shady dealings there, no sirree

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

It’s dodgy as hell and everyone knows it but there’s plenty that will argue the toss till the cows come home that serves as a convenient distraction.

It’s been well established at this stage that’s not actually happened though… like, I’m very very anti state ownership or influence, but there has to be evidence of wrongdoing.

Chelsea lost Kante for free, Koulibaly for 17m - half what they spent on him last year, and Edouard Mendy for a steal at 16m - a 6m loss on him. I don’t see how that can be classified as being bailed out. Those look like quite fair, if not undervalued, fees that we wouldn’t bat an eyelid at if they weren’t to clubs in Saudi. (And those sales won’t impact this years balance sheet anyway since they can’t be put through officially till July)

And we do have to take into account that the fund - which is a massive US/European (including Ireland) based investment entity of which Chelsea is a small fraction, and which has to declare their financial position to governing bodies around the world - have officially stated no investor has more than a 5 percent stake, which means PIF can have no more than a 3% passive stake in Chelsea given Clearlake own 60% of Chelsea.

The headline looked fierce dodgy day one alright, but the actual information so far doesn’t show anything actually nefarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I think what had thrown people is the fees initially reported which turned out to be incorrect. They were well above what other clubs would have considered for players who were largely out of favor and on big wages.

To be fair to Chelsea they found a place to take their unwanted players and managed to get fees even for some. Most clubs are probably mad they weren't in on it.

I wish Utd had sold a few to them to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its just hilariously misinformed at this point.

Yeah, those initial reports muddied the water in a big way alright, and made a big splash on the rumour pages, so I can understand the gut reaction of WTF?! (which was my own reaction at the initial reports suggesting gross over-inflation of values), especially when the much lower actual fees have been a bit underreported in the tabloids it seems, since they undercut the story.

Yep, the initial reports had 100 mill quoted but when the athletic dug down into the actual fees it seems they're just taking advantage of Saudis wanting to add bigger names to their league and offloading the large amount of deadwood in the squad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yep, very convenient for them. Nothing to see here.

Getting conspiracy deja vu.

Spending 400million English quid and spending more than the entire football world combined over the last two windows would lead to genuine suspicion. No need for a conspiracy.

Odd that there appears to be a few EPL fan posters from other clubs hell bent on what appears to be some kind of counter conspiracy on Chelsea's behalf. "To be fair to Chelsea etc. etc."

Seems like Chelsea get off scot free no matter what they do. Money talks, as they say.

Only odd thing is a frequent apologist for Man City suddenly demanding such a (mis)informed review of Chelsea spending.

But this discussion played out before where you just refused to accept any actual facts.

I'm not an apologist for Man City as I've said before many times but yes throw it out and I have to defend it etc... usual stuff.

You and a couple of others on here just continue to ignore the elephant in the room that Chelsea spent more than the rest of the entire football world combined on transfers in the last two windows.

No doubt the Chelsea owners are good at covering their tracks and papering over the cracks. I will remain extremely suspicious as will many others, whether you like it or not.

• Advertisement

I think for the Chelsea discussion to go anywhere from here, a question has to be posed (that hasn't already been answered) that people can dig into and find inconsistencies around etc. I haven't seen one of those, but rather just general suspicions without questions.

For City for example the question was "how did they raise their market value to be industry leaders for sponsorship deals, seemingly without their global reach having grown to support that".

So here we need a; "How did chelsea do x y or z". We had that initially with the massive insane ludicrous stupid spending last winter, and then we got the answer - they used an amortization loophole that allowed them to leverage future spending by spreading the contracts over 8 years. Dumb, and risky, but we know the ins and outs of it now. Then there was the initial reported fees for Saudi clubs buying some of their players which raised questions about if PIF were somehow playing both sides - until we learned that actually the two players leaving for fees are leaving for heavy losses, and that PIF only own a max of 3% of Chelsea anyway (which makes sense - as if you were going to bail yourself out, you'd at least surely have kept the values intact instead of actively low-balling).

Personally, I really don't like Chelsea, and hate state ownership, but so far it just looks like they're being run idiotically by a western investment fund, rather than nefariously by a state. Let's see if there are any further questions we can poke into on them though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

@TheCitizen this discussion has been played out before and only went round in circles for various reasons and it shall not be revisited.

As per Mod Note at the end of the last thread....

Just in case you or anyone else missed it.

Any issues, do not quote or reply on thread, PM instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Did Man City ever really want Rice? Or did they just make Arsenal pay £30m more than they wanted to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arsenal had bid more than what you're claiming and had it rejected before City did anything. You could argue City got about 10m added to the price, not 30m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good for the league that Arsenal get Rice , my team will be battling relegation so would like to see Arsenl give it a proper go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

at what point are Arsenal not underdogs, and it's actually failure if they don't win?

their spending has been incredible over the last few windows.

Arteta can have absolutely no complaints.

City have much stronger and deeper squad , ther second 11 would probably get top 4

They've a ridiculous first 15 or 16.

They're not as deep as you think though.

Arsenal are at the stage where there won't be many excuses left. They've invested, and it's not like they've sold tons to fund it these windows.

Havertz, Rice and likely Timber already this one.

He's being backed to the hilt.

100% he's been backed - be interesting to see how they go - hopefully they can push City , and hopefully pip them to the title.

• Advertisement

The expectations for Arsenal are obviously much higher than just reaching the CL via top 4 now. A title challenge is a minimum for next season. Beating City having lost the last 20 games to them is also now expected. Can that squad handle that sort of pressure from the off? Well that remains to be seen.

But as to when they stop being considered underdogs? Probably about the time they win something more substantial than an FA Cup. At the end of the next season it will be 20 years since they won a league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Underdogs might be the wrong word, as everyone is an underdog against City.

But they should be properly toe-to-toe with them. A la Liverpool. None of the fake stuff from this season. You can't invest like they have and be nowhere really near the final reckoning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Sad to lose Rice but glad it's over and done with relatively early and we can now focus on finding a replacement. I think he will do well at Arsenal and will excel even more in a team with more possession so he can show off his attacking abilities more often than at West Ham. I know that some West Ham fans aren't happy with him going to Arsenal and I personally don't think he'll win a huge amount there (mostly due to City), but he's led us to our first trophy in decades (first one in my lifetime) and was a professional throughout and never once sulked or downed tools to try and force a move. So I wish him all the best and hope that he can help Arsenal to a title in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I don't think Arsenal will be anywhere near the title next season. They may even struggle to get top 4.

They were top of the pile for quite a while last year and have strengthened their squad.

Hard to see why they wouldn't be involved.

• Advertisement

More expectations this year, and added Champions League football to contend with.

2 barriers to overcome IMO. Arsenal haven't handled pressure very well the last 2 seasons overall.

True but the experience of last year will certainly stand to them. With their additions to their squad, I certainly wouldn't think they will struggle for top 4 next year - or is it top5?

Then he should be sacked.

You can't have potentially generational youth prospects in Saka and Martinelli, add another potentially generational CB in Saliba, get Gabriel Jesus and Zinchenko, have potentially the most creative midfielder in the league in Odegaard, spend big money on your goalie and Ben White, then add £100m Rice, £65m Havertz and £40m Timber, while potentially getting another midfielder ... nevermind also being given 'depth' in previous seasons with Vieira, Tierney, Trossard, Jorginho, Kiowor, while being allowed to get rid of deadwood like Auba, and then not get top 4.

I'm sorry, at some point we have to put actual standards on the man. Not even the Utd managers have had that level of power and ability to shape their squad exactly how they like, despite the money they've spent.

He has to get that team doing what Liverpool were doing with City. There are no excuses left.

Yeah I would think that they will have enough to get CL football again, but I'm not entirely convinced that they will challenge for the title again, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think Arsenal still lack a goalscorer. Not sure if they are in the market for one, but when it comes to the crunch they could do with an experienced forward who just wants to score goals. A Dzeko type but a bit younger who doesn't mind being on the bench.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

they bought Jesus.

they've Martinelli and Saka who bang in goals.

Havertz has been brought in, I assume, as someone who is a false 9 (a la Firmino), who might allow those players to be even more prolific, rather than himself be a prolific striker.

i'm sorry, i don't buy the need for a proper number 9. he's been backed beyond measure over the last few seasons. Arteta should now be judged accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

while true Liverpool never really played with an out and out striker, they have Salah on 1 wing who was and still is a 30+ goals per season type player to make up for it. Arsenal will need Martinelli or Saka to step up big time on the goal return output if they're to follow a similar path.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I'd agree that Arteta will have nowhere to hide / should be judge accordingly with how he has been backed etc this year but I would still wonder about expectations. Nobody expected them to do what they did last year and now going into this year expectations may have risen but I would still think most people would only have them 2nd or 3rd. I don't think anyone is expecting anyone other than City to be favorites and although the likes of Liverpool / Chelsea will be stronger at this moment I am not expecting Man Utd or Newcastle to pass Arsenal. If they finish in the top 3 I don't think anyone would say anything about Arteta even though he has no excuses in terms of how he has been backed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I think Arsenal should be looking at a top 3 finish, and outside top 4 would be a complete disaster.

I don’t know if Newcastle will take the next step to challenge for the title next year, but I think it’ll be soon after.

i don't expect them to win it. nor should anyone. it's City's to lose, and will be City's to lose until the cheating/Pep combo is broken up in a couple of years.

but there is no way on God's green earth Arsenal should be anything other than top 3, unless Liverpool and United pull incredible summers out of their arses - but their respective owners aren't at it yet. it's a failure if Arsenal aren't the ones who push City, and they should actually push City this time, not whittle away at the first sign of pressure.

Arteta has been held up as this great manager, student of Pep, etc etc and he has actually achieved very little of note, and has been a chequebook manager up to this point. he has had basically unrivalled control over his playing squad - something only Pep can rival. he has received all he has wanted over the last 2 years. he won an FA Cup with a squad that wasn't his, then has a 2nd place in the League. he has improved Arsenal, no question, and that's why he deserves the time he's getting. but there comes a point where he actually has to get something done, or at the very least, push City properly. the backing he's had dictates that they should be City's closest challengers.

the pressure must actually be on. i don't want to hear how refreshing Arsenal are next season - that period is over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gotta think next year will be too early for I title challenge. I know they over achieved this year (compared to expectations) so people will say why can't they do so again but with the addition of champions league games and the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea not having CL or even Europa in Chelseas situation there is going to be a lot more competition.

Newcastle more so than any other team might benefit from there potentially being 5 CL places up for grabs next season imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you box City off as title winners, it could be really competitive for the 2-4 spots. There would be Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle, Manchester United and Liverpool who would all be targeting the three spots and 6 into 3 doesn't go. I don't think you could say any of those teams could be said as expected to be "comfortably" top four, it's going to be really competitive. Even if you have a good season you maybe need three of the others to have bad ones to be safe. There would be no major surprise if any of those teams finished 2nd or 7th, for Arteta I think league position is probably not the single factor.

Add in the teams that would be looking to break into that top 7, Brighton, Villa or any other team putting together a good season. Manchester City might dominate and win the title but it's probably the most competitive season ever outside of that.

Indications are Arteta views Havertz as a midfielder.

They will probably switch from 2 DM's to just one once they get Rice with Odegaard and Havertz ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭ronjo

Has anyone actually said Arteta shouldnt be judged on Arsenals perfomance next season?

no.

but i don't think top 4 is enough, or even simply being in the top 3, and there are many who would view that as success, and 'building nicely' or whatever.

i don't think it is, because he's been backed unlike any manager over the last 2-3 years, and they should be the next team to beat after Manchester City as a result. comfortably. unless Utd and Liverpool get their act together, they are still acting like clubs in transition, Chelsea certainly is still that (at best), Newcastle aren't going to make that big a jump, and Spurs are Spurs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement