Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Cares?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Alan will you ask Rory a few questions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,512 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

CFO on 200k plus....another 25k likely....

He has came across absolutely clueless throughout....bonkers....who hired him?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Renault must be tearing their hair out at the pronunciation of their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I hope gov appoints someone new and independent to go in now. Wasn't sure before, it's an extreme measure

But it is needed now imo. Only thing that can salvage any kind of public trust.

Otherwise RTE is fucked as a public entity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,801 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well isn’t Geraldine O Leary retiring soon anyway ? But yeah Ronan Collins looks to be done as he didn’t have a good day yesterday and what I’ve seen of him today, it wasn’t a good innings in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And Ronan's already moved to the RTE Gold retirement home. Or is that somebody else...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Is anyone actually taking actions here and will the RTE board really respond or just ignore.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Good question Alan Kelly. Jesus Rte is making me say well done on a question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Is someone from here WhatsApping Alan Kelly?😀

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭noel50

Hi as above actual earning 515000 euro not 440000 euro so did he lie when he said he was taken a pay cut yes remember if no covid no one would know about the 345000 euro payment so morally corrupt he was trying to have it both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AK asking the hard and obvious questions around the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

If they don’t stop hassling them we will end up with 24hrs fixed screen of girl and clown playing x and o.

Finally someone has asked a direct question about the contract.

He doesn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I wasn't aware she was retiring but she has been awful the last 2 days. Her and Collins have been the worst of them all with interim DG not far behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

This is bizzare, they're back to no contract.

How is getting paid if there's no contract.

An oral agreement... ah stop. You wouldn't get it in a corner shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

He cannot invoice RTE if there is no contract.

maybe the barter account

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

All this talk of "clarity, transparency and reform" basically translates as "look we realise we've been found out and we're going to start running the place properly...we promise....kind of."

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

At last, we are getting to whether or not RT has a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

"How do you work out the payroll?"

"I don't remember"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭martco

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD

all day long

jesus fupping christ they took Public Money and used it to buy lols for well heeled clients? is that what I'm hearing here? RWC & CL trips, 10 year tix to Landsdowne...have they remit to spend €275k of taxpayers money in whatever circuitous flowchart odyssey scheme. like fupp they do.

where are the Guards? this whole show is yet another bs white collar crime lessons learned exercise unless I start hearing about Gardai and actual criminal investigation.

Well I was confused yesterday and apparently it was qualified as to what the state of play was in regards to the contract, but now it’s in dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I disagree respectfully .

In times when they were cutting back on programmes, workers and pay , she should have asked .

They farmed out children's programming and lost the national symphony orchestra in her tenure as chair and Dee Forbes was continually looking for more money because times were so tough apparently, for RTE .

She was the chair of the board from 2014 to 2022 while all this was going on . I think she has to take some responsibility here , as well as the current chair .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I will try my best and give summaries from this PAC for people who did not watch the 'car crash entertainment'.

Siun Ni R - RTE Chair - no longer uses the term 'talent' as her first move towards first 'cultural change' - it was pointed out to her most ministers would sack her for not informing about Forbes sacking pre the Oireachtas Committees

Richard Collins - CFO shows he is even more a complete and utter bollix than I thought he was yesterday - did not want to admit his salary 200k plus car expenses for example

Geraldine O'Leary - dodged questions and distanced herself - has had great trips to U2 CP - coach paid for and all - also had a trip to K club a dinner

Anne O'Leary - still as annoyed as she was yesterday seemed embarrassed - answered questions as best she could - criticised the previous audit and risk set up - and spent a while in her brief improving it

Adrian Lynch interim DG - said he will not resign in future when asked by Veronica Murphy

Robert Shortt Staff Rep - looked on the verge of tears - said general RTE staff would be lucky to get an RTE Guide - and as the joke went 'It wouldn't even be a Christmas edition - shocked by existence of the barter account

Moya Doherty former RTE Chair - shocked by existence of 'barter account' kept in the dark over it.

Rory Coveney - said nothing of note from what I remember

--

In general the term 'Barter Account' stopped been used and those on PAC said 'slush fund' one RTE member admitted it was a slush fund. Moya Doherty I believe . However this barter account was 'industry standard' according to those in the know apparently.

My take on it there seemed to be a circle within a circle in RTE - there were only a few who were aware of the 'barter account' - spending included Rugby, Golf, and Champions League.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

He took the same pay cut that the RTE board/execs rolled out.

RTE constructed a commercial deal to increase income to his company.

Tubridy, a contractor who is paid through his company Tuttle Productions Ltd, was paid €495,000 in 2019 and €466,250 in 2020, according to the breakdown of on-air talent remuneration.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2023/02/15/rte-cuts-top-presenter-pay-by-15-as-tubridy-darcy-duffy-and-ocallaghan-see-earnings-drop/

Maybe it’s not her but I did see one of the female members of the board was retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Why couldn't they use an ordinary Irish bank account with almost zero fees.

Its entirely relevant for an off the books slush fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Alan, read my new WhatsApp. Jesus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement