Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well I would dispute that claim by the company strongly based on my daily evening commute - it’s been pot luck since last year and isn’t getting better!

It is so frustrating for passengers and staff like!

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Oh trust me I know, just this morning on my last run in on a 145 the gap behind me was 36 minutes... 4 busses in a row.

They really should be implementing reduced summer schedules that are deliverable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

That's not a real solution though. I have a feeling that the NTA doesn't care about the drivers' shortage and seems they aren't that eager to implement the BC in a good pace. They just washed this problem off.

What would be the most realistic ways to fix this issue? Doesn't seem that a problem is being addressed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Twice recently I've gotten the G2 at Eden Quay going towards Spencer Dock, there had been a change of driver announcement, and we've ended up on the next G2 bus behind us

Is this because the driver didn't show? Why couldn't the bus finish the route, it's only a few stops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Fizzy Duck

Possibly or he could've been late starting his shift or taking his full break. The original driver probably couldn't finish the trip to Spencer Dock ad he could've exceeded his driving hours. It can be frustrating. I am a bus driver and twice in the past few months I've had to get taxis because buses no showed. I didnt want to be late for work.

Interesting. I'm slightly annoyed at how the change of bus driver for the 40 to city centre is Parnell St, despite most people getting off one stop later at O'Connell St.

The driver of your bus would have been expecting to hand over to a new driver at Eden Quay, and the first driver would go on their break in the canteen on Earl Place or go home if they’re finished.

The second driver would have then done another round trip.

The first driver, if on a break, would then take a different bus an hour later on Eden Quay, or longer, depending on the duty.

Clearly the following duty in that situation had no driver due to the shortage.

Are you seriously expecting a driver to give up their break by driving on as far as Spencer Dock? It’s not their fault that there isn’t a new driver on hand to take over.

Rosters are there to ensure drivers take their statutory breaks and do not exceed EU maximum driving time limits.

Driver changes tend to take place at locations where, if needs be, the bus can be parked if the next driver duty isn’t filled.

If the bus continued to O’Connell Street then the driver would have to loop around somehow and bring in back to Parnell Square, eating into his rostered break time.

There are two elements to this - staff who are owed a duty of care, which exceeding rostered hours would breach, and customers.

It’s a recognition of the reality of the situation.

Advertising service levels that everyone knows are unachievable during June, July and August isn’t doing anyone any favours.

The core issue (the driver shortage) needs addressing, but people are getting more and more frustrated by timetables buses not showing up, which is exacerbated by annual leave not being covered as well.

Either the bus service is customer focussed or it isn’t.

DB would get reduced payments based on the reduced service levels.

Sometimes admitting that things can’t be delivered is a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Funny enough you mentioned that, Ive seen that happening twice. Its a lot to take in for new drivers doing the long cross city routes.

When I was in Clontarf myself and another driver was sent to Raheny in a car to rescue a lost 27, still to this day I dont know how he got there, the grannys nearly had the poor chap in tears 😅😅😅

Its a disgrace Joe!

New bus drivers taking wrong turns has happened since time immemorial - it’s a right of passage to be fair.

We all make mistakes from time to time.

What? "Are you seriously suggesting a driver give up their break by driving from Eden Quay on "as far " as Spencer Dock".

I'm fairly sure it was eating into his break by sitting there for five minutes not knowing what was happening and having to wait for a bus scheduled behind him to pull up and take all the bus passengers too.

I was more interested in why it was happening and didn't suggest any form of a bus driver breaking EU regulations by god.

Maybe a bit of forward planning and knowing if there is another bus driver actually available to hand over to, would save a lot of bother for driver and customer alike.

Most of the time they do let them know, but I was trying to explain in simple English why they wouldn’t do what you outlined. Rostering drivers is an exceptionally complicated process, and most people don’t realise how much work goes into them.

Whether you did or didn’t intend to suggest the driver break EU driving hours isn’t the point, the reality is that the effect of what you suggest the driver does may well cause that to happen.

That bus would be scheduled to be taken over by another driver later again at Eden Quay - that’s where the changeovers happen as that’s where drivers have facilities to take their break.

If your first driver drove the bus to Spencer Dock, they’d have to bring it back to Eden Quay again to take their break, and leave the bus ready for a third driver to collect later on, and that’s going to take far more than just five minutes.

"Simple English". No need to be patronizing.

There are plenty of companies who can manage complex rostering. Better ways of doing things are possible in Dublin Bus.

I've no wish to be eating into Dublin Bus driver break time but ultimately it's something that is really poor customer service to have to get on a bus behind you.

I’m not trying to be patronising - rostering is a very complex job and most people don’t realise half of what goes into it.

The first driver should have been told that no one was available to take the bus of course, but let’s be honest it’s happening so much right now with the ongoing shortages of drivers and summer holidays adding to the problem that there will be times that it gets overlooked.

It’s not ideal, but I’d cut the controllers some slack as they’re trying to manage a difficult situation not of their making.

The NTA insisted the G Spine be implemented last year full in the knowledge that DB had staffing issues.

Let's be honest, it's not really a rostering issue which I accept is complex.

It's a communication issue. The bus driver should have know beforehand, refused to let new passengers board and told other passengers they have to wait for the new bus.

Rostering might be complex but communication is less so

Scheduling is done by a software. Just need to set the rules. Despite of being it a complex, it is very reasonable task as DB has lots of experience on that. It does sound like a communication issue, rather.

It's Dublin bus staff inconveniencing other Dublin bus staff. It's not the customer who has a valid expectation that the bus will complete its route, that is eating into their break.

I agree. To me it's a complete nonsense. The priority should be to finish the route and then the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

As has already been explained above, it is ILLEGAL for a bus driver to exceed their working hours. The only other way is to reduce the amount of journeys a driver will make in order to fit the legal requirements, but then that would go against maximising efficiency.

You can't have it both ways.

The a driver should have let go home at the earlier terminus rather then making them do a one more run... Simply put, it was mismanaged.

"Go against maximising efficiency" when people are boarding bus, standing around and then told to get off. That made me laugh.

This has nothing to do with the customers, it's pretty much Dublin Bus staff not respecting their colleagues time.

What happens if a bus is stuck in traffic and ends up exceeding their working hours? Can they just leave the bus and shout about the legality of it all ?

There are better ways of Dublin Bus doing stuff, but I'm starting to see why it doesn't happen,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It's obvious there was a breakdown in communications. Happens everywhere, every day. That's no reason to break the law and laugh about it.

Enlighten us on how you can make it work within the legal constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Handover locations are chosen for a few reasons, primarily it's their accessibility to the route's home garage using existing bus services, combined with historical habits and the ability to park buses around.

From what I remember off the top of my head, the only route to officially have OCS handovers was the 747. The 11 and 44 often have their handovers in OCS, but officially they're scheduled at Parnell Square.

Unless something changed in recent months, and judging by what I'm seeing in private, nothing has: Dublin Bus scheduling is still largely manual in Excel. The only thing that has changed is in the context of BusConnects, where they get the trips timed before rostering them – beforehand it was rather obvious that buses were scheduled by terminus rather than by a point further down the route, however much this has been damaged with the subsequent silent retimings.

The first time we get actual software involved is when the schedule is entered into the AVL and rostering systems.

On the other hand, Bus Eireann and Go-Ahead both do use dedicated software: BE have the German ivu package, while GA use OmniTimes, a piece of software extremely popular in the UK (and, you guessed it, used by pretty much all the GA companies there). Another user of OmniTimes around is Translink.

@LXFlyer is quite right, scheduling a bus service is a right pain, and it doesn't even matter if you have a high frequency service or a low frequency service – you suffer either way as you either have too many options to work with (well, that's when it's handy to have proper software do the heuristics for you), or you have very little to work with, creating inefficient duties. The only thing that makes the process easier is if you have a terminus handover point rather than en-route, as that reduces the amount of potential handover points, reducing the number of options – on the other hand, routes that pull into their garage for breaks are a pain yet again, as you get even more variables.

Riiiight, so cancel the whole trip against cancelling only a section of it, so logical!

Also, you never know if the driver getting off is actually finishing the duty or merely going on their break. In the latter case you never know where the next piece of work starts. No, the cleanest solution is to maintain the schedule as much as possible and deal with the fallouts where they are predictable and manageable, rather than start incurring unnecessary no-run penalites.

The fact that DB doesn't use a software is shocking. Why is that? Software is more efficient and can assist a lot in working with a group of routes, which is now even more important with the BC. Excel is manual, old school and it may not alert about an error, while software wouldn't even build a timetable with the error, if the rules are setup correctly. Software is very useful for timetables of a few routes are integrates to avoid huge gaps. Are the DB so afraid of modernisation, or that's another 'historic' event? Need a modernisation and efficiency to their operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Went on the W4 yesterday from Tallaght to Liffey Valley and went well.

Half an hour travel and went through Grange Cross without any problem whatsoever.

Welcome addition

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

Let’s not go overboard here.

For whatever reason a controller made an error, and didn’t let the driver know that the next driver wasn’t going to take the bus.

It was a mistake and they can happen.

The vast majority of the time the drivers do know and do let the passengers know.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Any general updates on passenger numbers for the new routes? Let's hope they are as successful as the N4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

The W61 is practically empty all day within Celbridge anyway - it may have demand in the Moyglare Maynooth area. It departs Hazelhatch Station within minutes of the other buses (L58 and L59) - and none line up with the train - and it runs just 5 minutes apart from C4 between Maynooth and Celbridge village.

Yesterday evening I waited for a bus towards Dublin at Crodaun on the Maynooth Road in Celbridge. The L59, W61 and C4 all arrived within a 5 minute period, all running to schedule.

Advertisement