Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Biden closes gun control speech in USA with 'God save the Queen'

Options

Comments

You're not engaging with any of my points.

Instead, you're circling back to statements I have just responded to, so I'll leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Translation: I have demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt the partisan basis of your attacks, and you have no legitimate response.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Biden is done, the Dems need someone else to run, Trump beats him easily

• Registered Users Posts: 82,506 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Why would I do that? This thread is about Biden. I don't know why people keep bringing it back to Trump. Do you seriously think that everyone who criticises Biden is a Trump supporter?

For the record, I don't think Trump is fit to be president either. Trump is probably only fit for a jail cell.

• Advertisement

Well, keep telling voters Joe needs to go and you’ll be setting up instead for Trump to pardon himself. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Trump won't get to run. Too much sh1t clinging to him.

I don't think everyone who criticises Biden is a Trump supporter but it explains a lot of the criticism.

So yes it is entirely valid to point out double standards and hypocrisy in the attacks on Biden when they occur.

I saw Biden in action here. I see nothing on this thread or elsewhere to suggest he is unfit for office.

By contrast Trump as you note fit for jail the only question being for which of his multiple offences.

Ah, but you are incorrectly casting a slur across everybody who doesn't like Biden by lumping them in with Trump supporters so your point absolutely isn't valid. It's an argument technique, nothing more. Instead of arguing a point, you are trying to smear everyone with the Trump brush.....but but Trump......when the thread is about Biden and his cock-ups.

In what post did I say that about 'everyone'? I have called out the blatant double standards on display as being a factor explaining many of the attacks and demonstrating beyond doubt their hypocrisy and insincerity.

I literally wrote in the post you replied to:

"I don't think everyone who criticises Biden is a Trump supporter but it explains a lot of the criticism."

To then accuse me of saying it about everyone is a bad faith argument.

I have multiple times on the thread said that if someone thinks an 80 year old is too old and applies that standard equally that is a different thing entirely. Another reason why your claims are false.

I have also repeatedly challenged specific claims that were made and provided alternative explanations without reference to Trump eg why he was led to a particular point to stand. So again your claim is false.

I have posted recent videos of Biden speaking in a relaxed and fluent manner without gaffes. No mention of Trump. Did anyone watch them? Are we only allowed to say bad things about Biden on this thread?

If fitness for office for an American politician is being discussed I see no reason why other politicians conduct should not be referenced.

Your post is a complete misrepresentation of my posts on the thread.

• Advertisement

Sure show us your posts highlighting 'patterns' with regard to Trump's conduct?

If you are concerned about the conduct and fitness for office of leading US political figures, should be easy to do.

Or own up to the blatant partisan basis for these attacks.

The above are your words. You incorrectly accused me of blatant partisan attacks. Not quite the complete misrepresentation of your posts you seem to think it is.

I have thrice explained that hypocrisy does not falsify facts i.e. you could indeed find partisan hypocrites who lionise Trump and deplore Biden, but that wouldn't falsify the statements they make about Biden. At most, it would merely make the person a hypocrite.

But the validity of their point is completely independent of that. What most people are saying about Biden is right -- including almost half of Democrats.

You can keep trying to frame the debate in terms of Trump, but it doesn't work. I'm willing to grant you all the shades of hypocrisy in the world, and you'd still be left without an argument about Biden.

It wreaks of whataboutery, another fallacious form of reasoning.

Reread it. Next time dont skip the first two paragraphs.

And if you are going to accuse me of saying that about 'everyone' next time find the post first and dont ignore replies to you where I literally said the opposite.

Hyporcrisy doesnt falsify facts.

But you dont have any. Nada. You have zero facts that Biden is unfit for office.

Which is why you have to resort to misrepresentation by selectively quoting the poll even the headline if the article! The poll found that they would still vote for Biden. They would hardly do so if they had serious concerns about his fitness for office.

And resort to scurrilous attacks on Biden.

It is entirely reasonable to query your view of what counts as 'fitness' for office with reference to other American politicians. It is not whataboutery, it is about establishing your frame of reference and basis. And what standard you are applying or does it reek of double standards.

It is entirely valid to point out how 'concerned' you are about fitness for office wrt Bidens inconsequential gaffes while turning a blind eye or actively defending far worse conduct from other US politicians. It reeks of blatant partisanship and hypocrisy and double standards.

What I've seen from your posts is a lot about Trump, quite a lot about me and others who are allegedly hypocrites, but next to no defence of Joe Biden and his gaffes. Almost no time on the latter, the most important part to defend.

That's because you know perfectly well that your diversion to Trump and hypocrisy is an easy out. It avoids the glaring problem of Biden's gaffes and memory lapses, which you have no time to defend. And I don't blame you, because his actions are both embarrassing and indefensible.

If I were a hater of Trump and a Democrat supporter, I'd probably find it very awkward to defend a US president who is quite clearly past his finest hour.

Eh, I didn't skip any paragraphs. I just highlighted the third line.

But seeing as you want me to mention them. Below is the post I made about highlighting what I see as a pattern of behaviour that would indicate that Biden appears to me to be getting too old for the job.

Then you went off on big deflection in the your first sentence (see your post below) asking to see my posts highlighting patterns with regard to Trump's conduct. Trump had absolutely nothing to do with my post. Why the fcuk would I want to highlight patters with regard to Trump's conduct when we are talking about Biden. An absolute attempt to deflect away from any criticism of Biden.

Your second sentence, or paragraph as you call it, is still about Trump so why would I bother researching Trump's gaffes and cock-ups (if you'll pardon the pun). My point was about Biden, not Trump.

And your third sentence is where you claimed my comment was made because it was made for blatant partisan reasons, i.e. you think I'm a Trump supporter.

Go back and reread the thread. I have multiple times defended Biden against specific accusations and offered innocent explanations. Your statement is demonstrably false purely wrt this thread nevermind Biden.

I have multiple times posted links of recent videos of Bidens giving speeches in a fluent, relaxed and persuasive manner. This positively refutes many of the accusations on the thread about Bidens faculties.

But apparently I shouldnt have bothered. Because you have already predetermined that Bidens actions are indefensible.

Prejudicial much?

Your accusations are false, without merit or foundation.

Apparently you are concerned about embarrassing and indefensible actions in Biden only - because it is noticeable by its absense of eg Trumps sexual assault and further defamation of the innocent victim, his election interference etc. I bring this up to establiah what your standard for embarrassing and or indefensible conducts or 'gaffes' is in a politician.

Bidens gaffes are of no consequence. Whereas how many court cases is Trump embroiled in?

Bidens gaffes are of no consequence momentary embarrasment. Trumps actions have real negative consequences for him and others - and you say nothing.

So it is proof positive your entire line of argument v Biden is pure political partisanship.

That's exactly what people thought in 2016, for almost the exact same reason.

I'll be honest, I didn't think he'd make it the last time. I thought there's no way that the US will elect that big ignorant fcuker but hey, I was wrong. That said, and I know I've been wrong before, again I don't think he'll make it this time. He has much more serious legal stuff clinging to him now. And a civil conviction for sexual assault.

It could all cling to him, and he could still win the election. Especially if a majority of voters are inundated with Goebbels-blushing constant propaganda that Joe is mentally unfit for office. The base is already talking pardons, a conviction isn't going to change their minds.

• Advertisement

So, if I genuinely think that Joe's gaffes are showing a pattern that makes me think he is getting too old for office I should keep my trap shut in case Trump gets elected. Not a great state of affairs if that's the case.

Get someone better than Biden to go up against Trump then.

Or is it a case that there's nobody else capable of going up against Trump therefore it means that Trump is the second best politician (or best depending on election results) you can muster in the US? Very sad state of affairs.

I went to pick up my cat's prescription at the vet and bought a scented candle too. The young receptionist asked "do you want a candle to put your bag in?"

I made sure to alert the owner of the practice right away because the staff were in clearly evident cognitive decline. :(

Does she make those gaffes on a very regular basis and does she often seem confused and does she have one of the most important jobs in the world?

The question that Mehdi didn't address is the following -- Biden would be 86 at the end of his second term, fast approaching 90.

Given his memory problems to date, is this a risk worth taking?

Because right behind Biden is Harris, a politician with the lowest ever Vice-Presidential favourability in US history.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Biden will do the job against Trump.

If the Republicans didn't go full conspiracy hitching their wagon to Trump and could actually put forward a sane canditate it'd be a slam dunk for them.

Have they anyone better than Trump?

Any chance the legal stuff will stop Trump running?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭hometruths

I often wonder if the legal stuff were to stop Trump soonish, i.e in the next three or four months, would the Democrat support behind Biden fade. I think it might.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As opposed to slowly approaching 90? That sentence means nothing.

Presumably Harris is competent given her previous role, why does favourability come into it now? Because if that's the case Biden/Harris beats the GOP challengers all day long.

Advertisement