Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,932 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah you know the old saying, never promote anyone more competent than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Very good 'day in court' today for DG Dee. These RTE execs are already looking ready to turn on each other, LOL!!

CFO and Commercial director: are toast.

Chair Siun: on v v thin ice

Lawyer lady: was being helpful in that oh-so lawyerly way (i.e. sc*m)

Coveney spare: who knows/cares (but at least he's not pleaded guilty to criminal charges, phew eh Simon!)

Acting-DG Lynch: might survive only on the basis they can't all be fired

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

RTE has always been a law unto themselves, run with Haughey-esque arrogance, the nonchalance of turkeys not voting for christmas. Akin to Delaney in the FAI. Conceited and deluded but powerful enough to believe their own hype of what they were worth. Lots of big fish in a small pond, with inflated senses of self worth.

I am not surprised, but disappointed on 2 fronts-

1 - RTE has so much potential it is just sad how badly has been run for decades

2 - I thought Dee Forbes as an experienced outsider would grasp nettles but instead just got caught up in the rte culture and built on previous rte mistakes. this culture pre-dated her arrival and while she has made errors of judgement And deserves to answer for errors, she is being thrown under a bus unfairly in my opinion as there are much much more than her complicit in being frivilous with tax-payers money. It isn't the same as owning your own business or any business where you have a fund for entertaining clients. We're a small country with RTE pretty much a monopoly, not much need for entertaining clients!! i'd prefer if they concentrated on entertaining audiences!!

Hopefully this will lead to better governance, and investment in the arts and public service broadcasting. It is worth investing in, if you can ensure money is well spent, as we are a creative and vibrant country.

All 'talent' should just be recruited on the same pay scales as nurses/gardai/teachers going forward and it'd solve a lot of problems!! Ironically there would be no shortage of applicants or staff shortages...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Who would have known at the time that Noel Kelly was the foremost expert in Ireland on dealing with once in a lifetime pandemics, and not only that it required large amounts of public money to be thrown at him to dispense his wisdom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

If that’s the case well then maybe RTE were absented from the applying good governance practices by the relevant department. These two gov committees are NOT ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTIONS !,,,,,,!,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Did the committee ask for a detailed breakdown of who was brought on the junkets, I wonder was Nk or his team included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

My brief take on today

Dee Forbes and Noel Kelly have a very, very close relationship to the point that imo, there may be criminal charges pending

RTE actually paid Noel Kelly (as a consultant) to advise RTE on the best way to give more business and money to Noel Kelly - Even the West African countries haven't managed to pull that stroke

Siun - seems decent enough but not cut out for the cesspit that is RTE - Pottering about pruning roses more suitable

Collins CFO - Basically at trainee accountant level and on €225k pa - cannot be allowed to remain

Coveney - wearing a special high-tech invisibility suit

Munster - good, but didn't know when to shut up just as somebody was squirming or about to hang themselves

Verona Murphy - a contribution akin to :- FIFTEEN YEARS OF MY LIFE I'VE GIVEN YOU, FIFTEEN YEARS, LOOK AT ME NOW, LOOK AT ME, I'M IN BITS *drops wine glass* FIFTEEN F***IN YEARS YOU BASTARD *picks up half full pint glass of warm guinness* BASTARD! AND I’LL TELL YOU ANOTHER THING…*goes unconscious*

Stanley (PAC chair) - way too soft considering the information at his disposal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

I think they’re trying to resurrect “play the game”, guesses, charades, big hand gestures and at the end of it, a load of huff and puff for nothing. See you again next time.

defundrte is about the only answer, let them sink or swim with commercial only income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

Why are the two gov committees giving an out to the RTE employees/ board members by quiet often asking questions/ talking about what they will do in the future. All conversations/ questions should be focused on what happened etc, etc, etc, etc. The RTE attendees will babble away about the future if allowed and will help them to be seen in a better light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The most viral moment today is that absolute boll*x Collins not knowing his exact salary.

But then admitting it is a massive 200 grand plus a 25 grand car allowance.

I suspect a large percentage of the population will have seen that clip by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I missed parts of the committee hearing, but I thought the payments to Noel Kelly for consultancy fees were actually the extra payments to Tubridy (to create false invoices), rather than actual consultancy fees for NK? Or were there other payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

There were other payments, he "consulted" about the effects of Covid and dealing with agents. But hey, it's only public so who gives a ****, certainly not senior management in RTÉ anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

No, I think that was a side hustle - a different stroke to the Tubs 75k x 2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

It’s not only the accent, it’s his merry band of cronies he has on and his huge arrogance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

There is some seriously dodgy $hit going on, because the level of deceit and ridiculous stories peddled from some of them today was like something you would hear a child in high infants trying to come out with after they had gotten in trouble.

Some of them there today literally made absolute total fools of themselves instead of actually stating just facts.

Something was and is going on.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

But the worker representative at the PAC, who was nearly in tears, today said that staff are lucky to get a free copy of the RTE Guide and no chance of the Christmas edition. So was he misinformed the PAC or were these people higher ups in the organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

Dee Forbes being duped into believing Tubridy's worth to rte was worth her fecking away her career over, that is her own issue to come to terms with and anything that was illegal will be resolved hopefully.

I hope the golden circle in rte is broken and this is a catalyst for real change. This wasnt all done on Dee's watch. I'd imagine theres lots of fellas on fat pensions who wined and dined on the slush fund regularly since Italia 90! they might have a pang of guilt but wont be answerable to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Agree, especially re RTE/NK showing those African nations the way forward! I did like Verona's contribution though, she certainly ramped up the tension and rattled acting-DG Lynch.

Also credit due to the questioners and chair today - much much better than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Yeh, but he trousered €81k for himself in the process , probably justified fee for his ingenuity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Director of Legal Affairs said:

RTE Director of Legal Affairs, Paula Mullooley, says she does not believe Ryan Tubridy has a contract to present his radio show. “There may be an oral agreement as to what he’s being paid”.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

A member of the RTE board out in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Oral agreements don't mean squat is business afaik.

If it ain't in writing it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

😂 Noel Kelly has to be questioned fcuk client confidentiality, it's bigger than that.

He's fine regardless, just negotiating for clients. But the interaction would be priceless. 'RT: Noel I'm not happy with that fee, do they not realise who I am and how talented'!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭prunudo

Must have been a busy afternoon, nearly 25 pages and over 700 posts since I logged on last!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Not really wanting to defend RTE, but there are other feasible explanations for this, such as an outing organised by the RTE Social Club. There may have been some level of staff subsidy for this, or maybe not. I wouldn't assume that 'everyone got free tickets'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Sure what's the point of any politician committee questioning Kelly, when all the gadge can do is basically repeat what these clowns from RTE did all day today? Which was a non stop shlither of

"I don't rememba"

"I can't recall"

"I don't do the golf"

"I get back to ya on dat"

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Patrick Kielty 250k. That shows up Tubs too. Radio show or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its interesting , boards.ie has come in for abit of a battering recently....but for certain things i think boards has been superb and well ahead of the curve.........

The Tubridy radio threads and the LLS threads over the years have been full of excellent contributors listing all the various problems of RTE and Tubridy that are surfacing now :

- Tubridys sense of entitlement (the sheer scale of his fees were a source of disdain for alot of us for a long long time- nevermind the hidden payments part!!) Plus the endless supply of freebies and requests for more....credit to PieOhMy....

- Noel Kelly (NKM)....I learnt about him years ago from the good people of boards.....has a gangsterish grip on the media in this country....this has been detailed endlessly on these threads for years....

- RTE waste.....again has been discussed at length over various threads like the Dee Forbes thread...licence fee threads etc.....

In conclusion, posters such as Pelvis Parsley, General Zhukov and Buttersuki (too many more to mention) are to be commended for their contributions about Tubridy over the years....these posters have been fully vindicated...

The Tubridy/NKM acolytes have fallen silent......their hero has been exposed for the great fraud that he is........

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement