Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We'll just have to wait and see what level they bring potential sanctions under. Mid range and Sexton could be in trouble.

One thing he has going for him is his clean disciplinary record.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't think any of us know exactly what happened, so while it's a discussion point etc in reality it's pointless speculating (unless some here do know in which case PM me please!).

Importantly we can safely assume the Irish management know exactly what happened and will be planning accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

Tbh, I could give a fcuk what happens Sexton or Leinster but I hope it doesn't impact on Ireland during the RWC.

I suppose we could call up Madigan 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

You don't score 16 tries in 26 games playing in the Top14 if you're mediocre. Zebo was many things but he was certainly better than mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Sexton’s Roy Keane moment.

• Advertisement

I wonder if that's why he's been charged with general misconduct rather than under a specific regulation?

Pointless speculating too I suppose. Would hate to see him miss the World Cup. On a personal level no player has ever made me enjoy watching rugby more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

I'm sorry but what an idiot. Jesus Christ. For the last two years of this cycle we've been doing everything we can to keep him fit and in form in recognition of his importance to the team and he puts all that planning and hard work in jeopardy because he's too petulant to keep his mouth shut. That's as stupid and as selfish as you can get. Obviously I hope he gets off lightly but I wonder will the fans and journalists who slated Erasmus be as quick to condemn Sexton. Somehow I doubt it.

A jibe at fans is utterly needless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

have to say i agree. much as from an ireland perspective i hope hes available, from a neutral and fan of the game perspective i hope the book gets throw at him unless he can be proved 100% innocent. too much of this sort of nonsense is creeping into the game, be it fans or players, and it needs to be stamped out before rugby becomes too much like soccer

If we are fortunate and Sexton somehow avoids a ban should he remain captain? I feel like it would be harsh to strip him of it but at the same time it's a legitimate question. What happens if we get Peyper or Dickson reffing a game? Even if we were to avoid them could he keep his cool in a high pressure game. We've seen him get frustrated before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

It was a concern of mine when he initially got the captaincy, but I don't think you can take it off him at this late stage. But it would be a worry if we got Peyper, say, reffing a game in the RWC...

Well obviously he can't keep his cool, we all saw his reaction to the loss after the final. Remember, he this after walking from his position in the stand so he had time to cool down or to gather more anger.

In saying that I can't see Ireland dumping him of the Captain's armband

I wouldn't like to see him stripped but it's a genuine concern. The whole thing is a mess. I'd say Farrell is raging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Farrell loves chaos and to embrace adversity he must be delighted with this :)

Dylan Hartley got 11 weeks for calling Barnes a cheat but that was clearly caught on camera at the time. (Now none of us liked Dylan but if sexton is caught saying something similar then thats what he could be looking at)

You'd wonder was the ref mike still enabled when Sexton confronted him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Are you seriously trying to compare what Sexton did, to what Erasmus did? They are not even remotely similar. So no I don’t think the people who were quick to call out Erasmus for orchestrating social media campaigns against referees and for making hour long videos criticizing referees. In the cold light of day, not in the immediate heat of a game. Will see Sexton being a dick and saying something (we don’t know what yet) to a referee as being anywhere near the same thing. While still being disappointed in Sexton for being an idiot and bringing both himself and his club into disrepute.

Seriously the disgusting attitude of a certain section of Irish fans being shown up by this, would turn your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's now six weeks since the match. Has any misconduct charge ever gone this long before?

If I was IRFU, I would be asking hard questions as to why no action was considered necessary initially, only to blow up again some time down the road.

And further asking, is it fair and reasonable to have this hanging over RWC preparations?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

doesnt actually appear to be a citing... cos there sno law named as to what was broken.

if sexton is found guilty and cops a long ban i can see lawyers dragging it through the courts for a (sufficiently) long time

personally i think he and leinster will cop a financial fine and a warning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

in a game that sexton wasnt involved in. either way it doesnt matter, match officials shouldnt be treated like that.

its not the same as erasmus but its not a million miles off either if its true

Not close to Rassie but it's pretty unique in it's own right.

Imagine if this was LAR captain after they losing to Leinster in a final, people would be looking for blood. Here we have "not really sure what he's supposed to have done but... "

There's always an argument for someone that lost it in the heat of battle but this time Sexton is one step removed from the particular game and a very senior player who should have much more awareness about what is acceptable and what is not.

In the clip that was floating about it looked like he made two attempts to engage with the officials.

I can't see the IRFU getting involved in this, if they do it will probably be in a non public way ad they can't be seen to condone Sexton's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

we had this discussion a few pages back, actually many pages back... I don't think he should be captain.. refs don't like him.

• Advertisement

Sexton is alleged to have called the officiating team "a **** disgrace". What's more, he was a non playing member of the club on the day and shouldn't have been anywhere near them. Directly abusing the officiating team like that is far worse than what Erasmus did. Erasmus insinuated incompetency and undermined their authority. Sexton, if what has been alleged is true, directly accused them of incompetency at best (and that's a generous interpretation). You also have to consider that he's one of the most high profile players in the world. It's a terrible look for a player in that kind of position to use abusive language towards officials.

There's also the possible consequences his actions might have on his teammates. Sexton is vital to Ireland's chances at the World Cup. If he's out because of his behaviour then he's let his whole team down. Sexton being on the field is far more important to Ireland than Rassie being in the coach's box is to South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Heartleys ban is one that sprang to my mind as well.

It was 11 weeks and caused him to miss the lions tour.

Its entirely possible Sexton gets the same ban but with a better record than heartley he should have weeks removed.

Only one player that should be captain and its Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Only one player should be captain, and his garden boasts an arch of roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Is that an elaborate way of saying Ringrose?!

If we're looking at long term captains, I wouldn't be surprised to see Doris in the mix in the next couple of years along with Ryan but it's very hard to know, really.

But I think we need a lot more than that anyway. Leadership takes different forms and I think Ireland (and Leinster) suffers from having multiple quiet people in the team. The likes of Aki and Lowe bring a lot to the field purely through personality if not actual smart decision making and tactical awareness. It's hard to find a player who has the combination of emotional intelligence, tactical awareness and communication ability (both in terms of being vocal during play and able to speak to the referees).

Within the Irish set up, POM and Sexton probably are the closest thing to that. POM more so particularly after Sexton's recent actions. But I don't think there's another within the set up like that. Some have certain elements but not others. Then there have been guys who have the full package like Billy Holland or Ross Molony but they don't have the outright ability to be in the Irish set up.

After the two elder lemons mentioned above, I don't think there's a single guy in the entire squad that jumps out as the obvious captain. It will be Ryan as he's the closest and has shown capacity to develop his style and game so far but it really is a gap in our squad.

Peter and Sexton have a terrible ability to get on the wrong side of refs. While they might often be saying something that has merit they dont always (or even rarely) possess the ability to articulate it without anger / aggression or disrespect in their tone. Ryan is too quiet and more of the silent leader type, wants to let his performance do the taking and i think hes a reluctant captain especially off the field.

Ringrose for me has the temperament not to get carried away with the heat of the moment and can view situations from a few steps back, he is polite and considered and a nailed on starter leading our defense.

Its an easy choice for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Hasn't Peyper said he didn't hear Sexton say anything? If so, what's the evidence against Sexton?

I can't see anything coming of it.

I think hes going to made an example of, he has shown a lot of disrespect and distain for officials over the years and he has crossed the line here from a position where he shouldn't even have been on the pitch.

Leinster rugby have a case to answer also as to how a player not involved in the match day squad or coaching team has so much access to the tunnel and pitch during the game and immediately after. A fine could easily come their way from it.

I rate Ringrose as having leadership smarts but I don't think it comes naturally to him in terms of being vocal and being someone everyone turns to in the huddle. From a Leinster perspective, that seems to be far more Ross Byrne/Molony.

Absolutely one for the leadership group but I'd have my doubts about him as a captain in big pressure situations. As far as I know, he was the on field captain for the last 55 minutes against La Rochelle and I don't think he really stepped up there.

• Advertisement

The statement advises that there was thorough fact finding. The central part of that would be statements from those there at that moment i.e. the three officials. Even if they didn't want to pursue anything, if they gave a verbatim account of what was said, that is probably enough.

Sexton was an absolute idiot. I think he's going to cop some sort of ban which will see him miss the warm ups (and possibly another game or two). I do find the overall handling of it fairly peculiar though. It will be almost 2 months since the game when they hold the hearing. Ireland will have been in camp for 3 weeks at that point and won't know if they have their first choice outhalf available or not for the opening games of the RWC.

If he does get a 6 week ban (absolute worst case scenario, I'd say), I could see the IRFU arranging a game on August 12th behind closed doors between Ireland and a province. Meaning they'd have 6 weeks gone by the SA game.

Advertisement