Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

RTE seem to think that he's out of contract. It appears that in these personality contracts they attribute a value to radio and TV work separately. For Duffy he said his is 300 for radio and 51 for TV. It seems that the established practice in RTE is that if you change a commitment mid contract, that until a new one is put in place you are paid for the value of the work that you remain doing under the old contract. If relations hadn't soured in RTE with RT, that's likely what would have happened.

However since they are all at war in Montrose, RTE have decided that this contract is null in its entirety. It puts them in a tricky place, what do they pay him for his post late late radio work? Nothing? Pay as per the old convention, but does that imply a contract still exists and do they then have to continue to pay him?

It may end up in court tbh.

I know we had a tubridy thread here where he was called out from day one but it is shocking and hilarious how rte built him up to be some sort of big brother to preach down to us like peasants that we’re doing great job and poor us and at the same time possessing the interviewing skills of a hedgehog

it really is hilarious how people bought into it , I hope it’s over now , the best phrase I heard here is “grubby little gombeens”😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes and no. Look at his friday statement. I dont think he thinks like that either. He could dress it up in weasel words.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,247 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I was Renault I would switch the LLS deal to either Dacia or Nissan for the time being, both parts of the Renault Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I am not saying I don't receive puff pieces. I just don't publish them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Other thing on donating: it stinks of him having power/ownership of it to do what he wants to benefit him… fook that!

best thing: “I should never have taken that money. I’m returning it.” End of

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Atone not absolve ... forgiven not forgotten or maybe the other way round.

Might take the sting out of things just enough for him to carry on.

But if he doesnt have a contract with RTE maybe he thinks the ship has sailed.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

So the puff piece is already written and sent to you to publish? Just trying to understand how they work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

no TV licence from this household from now on 110%

Has one of the shining lights in this thread and on NKM, RTE, and RT @ButtersSuki been banned from here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

This will all end up in the courts yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

Well puff pieces are sent in and you can publish as is or do what most journalists do. Rewrite the puff piece to try and make it look a lot less like a puff piece.

Once you receive the puff piece, the PR company does not care how it is published.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The idea was news to a lot of people last week. Try bartering your labour as an individual and get ‘paid’ in goods rather than cash and Revenue will soon crack down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s not clear at all that “many people and their families” were involved. We heard about one or two RTE people, plus spouse in one case, actually attending, afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

There was a website or some thing here a few years ago about providing services for a credit/barter (may still be going) - difference from what RTE consider a barter is no money is exchanged, RTE think barter means someone pays money to a third party then RTE can use it to give "credit" to the company and siphon the money to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

I personally have no issue with the purchase of tickets to entertain customers or potential ones, once compliance checks were done in rte and the customer got approvals from their own company, it's how business is won. No issue with the amounts either, it's acceptable given the scale of the business, although japan is overkill.

My issue is that procurement were asleep at the wheel, and it is the procurement director, if they have one and the cfo who are most culpable here along with the rte audit lady. She has been in the role a number of years and it's astonishing that all aspects of customer entertainment and gifts was put under the microscope the minute she got in the door. What type of scandal would there be if rte was seen to be using this fund to unduly influence a positive outcome from a customer?

Tubridy having no contract and continuing to work on radio is very strange, how do they work out what to pay? Either it is common practice that new contracts are not signed off before the old one expires (maybe this will be used as part of a court case if he sues .... gentleman's agreement, happened before)

Coveney got an easy ride but still struggled. As for the chairwoman, she needs to go. How she did not have the foresight to go through due process in getting the DF's side of the story before asking for and accepting her resignation is baffling. Surely an employee is entitled to go through the disciplinary process before any action

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You'd definitely be investigated but if you put a fair value on the work done for the goods received and pay the appropriate taxes then you should be ok to barter your labour.

The use of barter has no real advantage over money unless tax avoidance is the goal. Say a media company needs new cameras and uses a barter exchange to link up with a camera company in exchange for an advertising run. What makes that transaction more advantageous then selling ads for money and then buying the cameras with that money, if not tax avoidance? In fact it's significantly more complex than a cash transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

So when exactly are RTE going to stop paying Tubridys salary, given he's out of contract.

They can't still be afraid of a threat to leave from him, given he is now toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

No that new account creamy pink was banned minutes after it was created, I wonder who that was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

RTE SPENT €138,000 on IRFU season tickets and €111,000 on travel and accommodation for the Rugby World Cup via a “barter account”.

Geraldine O’Leary said the account was used to pay for clients to go to the Rugby World Cup. She said she could not name those clients without their permission.

O’Leary herself, one of her colleagues and four guests went on that trip. O’Leary said it is “not unusual” for commercial to host clients at events.

Chair of the RTÉ board Siún Ní Raghallaigh said the expenditure was “outrageous” and that it should go through the procurement system.

---------------

These clowns need to be fired asap! O'Leary is laughing at the taxpayer and Siun Ni Raghallaigh has zero control over them.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A barter account is fine in theory.

Using a third party and paying them exorbitant fees to manage the barter account, that begs a lot of questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,092 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yep. And that’s part a the problem. People have gone ape-**** in their OTT slating anything and everything. Same with PAC.

The CFO earning 200k was seen as huge by the SF person today. Wtf did she expect? A CFO will get big money. It’s a very big job.

Weird vibe off it all. So many folks so giddy with excitement wanting to see RTE board shamed and humiliated and beaten down.

This thread has the vibe that if you’re not beating the bejaysus out of RT/NK/RTE you’re nothing but a defender.

posters wanting arrests, gardai and device seizing n all. Only two days in..

Good to know. Creamy Pink is an NKM stooge here to muddy the waters and try and get this thread shut down. NKM will have a certain sway with certain journalists and media organisations but as they have no sway here, they get down, dirty and sneaky and try to silence who ever is stating the truth whilst trying to shut down threads like this.

20 years ago when Social Media did no exist there was no threat to NKM or their clients but those days are long gone and the one thing they hate the most is screen shots.

RTE might be worried that NKM might threaten to pull his other clients out of RTE. Just call NKM's bluff and see what they do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Drew Harris said gardai would investigate if they received a complaint of fraud. To me there is a very fine line between fraud and deception, and false invoicing is I would say a fraud.

Invoicing a state body under false pretences and concealing the real reason for reqesting funds is surely fraud, regardless if you have someone colluding inside that state body.

Conspiracy to defraud would be the charge imo.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement