Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current Population of Galway City

• 01-12-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was just looking online to see what the estimate current population of Galway city is and it varies greatly from site to site. I've seen from as low as 52,941 to as high as 78,414.

I'm sure alot of people have emigrated in the last couple of years but surely not that many!

Anybody have any idea?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There is a census next year. You'll have to wait!

It's guesstimated at 75,000 currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is a census next year. You'll have to wait!

It's guesstimated at 75,000 currently.

hmmm so population has actually increased since 2006. Interesting! Thanks

It also kind of works out from my fuzzy maths is that around 1 in 3 people in Galway city is currently signing on. Don't worry I'm not writing a paper. I just had a friend of mine talking about how when he was on the dole here it felt more acceptable, where as he's down in Cork now and it's less acceptable or so it seems to him

Wompa1 wrote: »

Well we don't know that, I've nothing to back it up.
    But if you consider all the new (populated)housing estates that have come onstream since the last census, it's a safe bet to say that the population has increased.
    And then there are all the students who live here 9 months a year.

My dad raised a good point that it's bound to increase because the boundaries have been expanded.

The students wouldn't get counted in the census for Galway or would they? Wouldn't it be from their family home?

It would be interesting to see all the figures.

I'd love to see how many students there are
    How many single mothers on benefits
    Disabled people on benefits
    state pensions
    medical cards

I remember last year the City Council coming out saying they were going broke. I wonder compared with other cities in the country do we have more of a relaxed approach to life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Queue the foreigners/non-irish people living in Galway saying, 'Galway isnt really a city, we have proper cities back home.'

• Advertisement

There are about 25,000 on the live register for Galway county in total, roughly half are in the city. (my numbers are a bit out of date)

My dad raised a good point that it's bound to increase because the boundaries have been expanded.

No they have not.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Queue the foreigners/non-irish people living in Galway saying, 'Galway isnt really a city, we have proper cities back home.'

I was born in New York....must resist urge...I believe Galway is a city because it has all the facilities to qualify as one. Hospital, University, Cathedral etc.

Plus alot of people compare it to Bristol which I believe is a city...

No they have not.

You are right. Sorry, just looked it up myself. Shouldn't have taken his word for it. Also the first few uneployment articles I looked at said Galway but I found one that does say city and county so that's not nearly as bad as it seemed!!

I was born in New York....must resist urge...I believe Galway is a city because it has all the facilities to qualify as one. Hospital, University, Cathedral etc. Plus alot of people compare it to Bristol which I believe is a city...

Galway is twinned with:
    Aalborg, Bradford, Cambridge Ma, Chicago Il, Lorient, Milwaukee Wi, Moncton Nb, Qingdao, St. Louis Mo, Seattle Wa, Waitakere City

Almost all are bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

75-78k population is correct.

Galway is twinned with:
    Aalborg, Bradford, Cambridge Ma, Chicago Il, Lorient, Milwaukee Wi, Moncton Nb, Qingdao, St. Louis Mo, Seattle Wa, Waitakere City

Almost all are bigger.

All of those are cities though, so I'd bet to be considered it had to be a city? maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dreenman

jenno86 wrote: »

Queue the locals in Galway saying "Why dont you go back to your proper cities then"

dreenman wrote: »
    Queue the locals in Galway saying "Why dont you go back to your proper cities then"

Then there'll be a debate on the lack of eateries and retail outlets, followed by an epic dance-off and then we'll all shake hands; with the furriners going off to indulge in steamed bacon, potatoes and cauliflower and the natives going for a curry, tapas and dim sum.

Then there'll be a debate on the lack of eateries and retail outlets, followed by an epic dance-off and then we'll all shake hands; with the furriners going off to indulge in steamed bacon, potatoes and cauliflower and the natives going for a curry, tapas and dim sum.

Dang, It's been a while since we had a good old fashioned dance off

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

I just had a friend of mine talking about how when he was on the dole here it felt more acceptable, where as he's down in Cork now and it's less acceptable or so it seems to him

Your friend is right. I also have a friend who told me the same thing after having lived here for years. I guess it's not called "the graveyard of ambition" for nothing. :D

geekychick wrote: »
    Your friend is right. I also have a friend who told me the same thing after having lived here for years. I guess it's not called "the graveyard of ambition" for nothing. :D

I've heard that about Australia too. That young people in OZ have zero ambition and that's why Irish people get jobs so handy. So I guess Galway is little OZ...Salthill = Bondi Beach...Innis Oir=Frazer Island :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

"the graveyard of ambition" seems to get trotted out by those who have none anyway. Would seem to be an attempted excuse for their own failings rather than take personal responsibility.

ciotog wrote: »
    "the graveyard of ambition" seems to get trotted out by those who have none anyway. Would seem to be an attempted excuse for their own failings rather than take personal responsibility.

That is still no explanation as to why specifically Galway has been called that.

"graveyard of ambition"...what a load of sh1te! :rolleyes:

I've never, in my life, heard it referred to as that and I'm here 30 years.

Im guessing the only ones who refer to it as that are waster preppy college students who try to appear more intelligent than they are by talking utter twaddle.

• Advertisement

geekychick wrote: »
    That is still no explanation as to why specifically Galway has been called that.
    I've only heard the phrase a couple of times from Galwegians and laughingly from other blow-ins. The phrase itself originally was in reference to Swansea and seems to have been misappropriated for use as a complaint here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It also kind of works out from my fuzzy maths is that around 1 in 3 people in Galway city is currently signing on.

Those maths are extremely fuzzy. As bad as the recession has become I don't think there are 25,000 people signing on the dole in Galway city.

ciotog wrote: »
    Would seem to be an attempted excuse for their own failings rather than take personal responsibility.

Then they join the greens and an taisce and take it out on everybody else. :(

"graveyard of ambition"...what a load of sh1te! :rolleyes:

I've never, in my life, heard it referred to as that and I'm here 30 years.

Im guessing the only ones who refer to it as that are waster preppy college students who try to appear more intelligent than they are by talking utter twaddle.

I'm here 10 years (a mere blow-in, so ;)) and have heard it several times, from different quarters, by now.

I only wish I'd ever moved amongst waster preppy college students! :D (no, not really)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Hail hail Google.

According to the Central Statistics Office website, the population of Galway city in 2006 was 72,414

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

Interestingly, a mere 52,539 reside in the city of Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

The students wouldn't get counted in the census for Galway or would they? Wouldn't it be from their family home?
    You fill out the census for the house you are in on the night of the census, so the students will count if the census is during the term and they're all about and the like. I filled mine out in Centrepoint the last time around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Hail hail Google.

According to the Central Statistics Office website, the population of Galway city in 2006 was 72,414

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/popofeachprovcountycity2006.htm

Interestingly, a mere 52,539 reside in the city of Limerick.

True, but the footprint of Limerick city is much smaller than that of Galway's.
    IE the actual size of the city boundries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway is twinned with:

Almost all are bigger.

The only one of those that I've been to is Waitakere, and I really struggle to see what on earth the partnership is based on. Like *what* do we have in common ... unless someone didn't realised that westie (over there) = knacker (over here).

Re the census, I've heard from lots of inner city residents that they didn't actually fill in a form last time, and that thanks to the rooftop apartments and security gates it's easy to escape the enumerators. This makes me cross: government funding/resources are often based on population numbers, so undercounting means that the city gets less resources.

And re the "graveyard of ambition" tag: I've heard it from various sources, both other blow-ins and some aul-sthock Galway people. I've heard a few explanations:

Lots of young musicians/artists with talent come here, and this is where they find out that they're not talented + hardworking enough to make it big time. So they bury their youthful ambitions, cut their hair, get a tie and a real job.

Some professionals come here to escape the rat-race: compared to London, Dublin etc the pace of life is a lot more relaxed (even with the current traffic). We (yes, I'm in this group) love the cultural opportunities. But there simply are less professional opportunities here, so a certain amount of burying, or perhaps transforming of ambitions, is part of the deal of staying.

And the West has a high rate of mental illness, so provides a lot of services, so attracts a lot of people from other places, who have health or substance-abuse problems. Sometimes the ambitions that are buried are those of parents and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

Is a fairly tough question to answer OP,CSO stats dont tell the whole story, while the city itself has roughly 75-80k the commuter belt is huge for a city its size. Tuam, Athenry, the 'wesht' maybe even Loughrea and Gort could be concidered within the area of influence. Take a quick spin on any of the citys carparks approach roads and youll see that the city council havent bothered their arse to factor this into their planning! :mad:

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    The only one of those that I've been to is Waitakere, and I really struggle to see what on earth the partnership is based on. Like *what* do we have in common ... unless someone didn't realised that westie (over there) = knacker (over here).

Re the census, I've heard from lots of inner city residents that they didn't actually fill in a form last time, and that thanks to the rooftop apartments and security gates it's easy to escape the enumerators. This makes me cross: government funding/resources are often based on population numbers, so undercounting means that the city gets less resources.

And re the "graveyard of ambition" tag: I've heard it from various sources, both other blow-ins and some aul-sthock Galway people. I've heard a few explanations:

Lots of young musicians/artists with talent come here, and this is where they find out that they're not talented + hardworking enough to make it big time. So they bury their youthful ambitions, cut their hair, get a tie and a real job.

Some professionals come here to escape the rat-race: compared to London, Dublin etc the pace of life is a lot more relaxed (even with the current traffic). We (yes, I'm in this group) love the cultural opportunities. But there simply are less professional opportunities here, so a certain amount of burying, or perhaps transforming of ambitions, is part of the deal of staying.

And the West has a high rate of mental illness, so provides a lot of services, so attracts a lot of people from other places, who have health or substance-abuse problems. Sometimes the ambitions that are buried are those of parents and family.

Alot of good points. I notice that in my work place too actually alot of people who lived and worked in Dublin and sounded like they excelled in their old jobs but then in the job they are in now most don't try and just do the bare minimum. Like they are content just staying where they are. But I suppose when you have kids it's difficult to excel too much knowing you can't move if needed.

Limerick officially has about the same population now as it did in 1961.

Limerick City, the 'urbanisation' is bigger than Galway, not much bigger like it once was but bigger.

Lots of it is in Clare or Limerick counties, same problem with Waterford and Kilkenny.

Galways boundary was redrawn in the 1980s by adding bits all around comprising the townlands of Coolagh, Curragrean and Doughiska in the district electoral division of Ballintemple; the townland of Ballindooly in the district electoral division of Carrowbrowne; the townlands of Ballybaan Beg, Ballybaan More, Ballybrit, Castlegar, Coolagh, Glenanail, Menlough, Merlinpark, Murroogh, Parkmore, Rahylin Glebe, Roscam, Ballagh, Barnacranny, Bushypark, Dangan Lower, Letteragh and Rahoon in the district electoral division of Galway Rural; and the townlands of Ballyburke, Ballymoneen East, Ballymoneen West, Ballynahown East, Barna, Cappagh, Cloonagower, Clybaun, Keeraun, Kimmeenmore, Lenabower, Mincloon, Shanballyduff, Shangort, Acres, Derryloney, Gortnalecka, Knocknacarragh, Pollnaroorna West and Rusheen in the district electoral division of Barna.......because the City and County agreed on it,

Limerick is well overdue a redraw, the last one was in 1950. It should have a population of somewhere over 90,000 by rights.

Is a fairly tough question to answer OP,CSO stats dont tell the whole story, while the city itself has roughly 75-80k the commuter belt is huge for a city its size. Tuam, Athenry, the 'wesht' maybe even Loughrea and Gort could be concidered within the area of influence......

None of those towns are factored into the population living in Galway City which is defined as a county borough and is located within the confines of the areas outlined by Sponge Bob ^^^.

They are all counted in the census as towns in their own merit.

However, as these towns (among others) do provide a large number of commuters to Galway, it is true that the daytime population of the city is significantly greater than the number of people living there.

This is what the planners don't seem to understand.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Then they join the greens and an taisce and take it out on everybody else. :(
    Possibly true though I do encounter an taisce people who are actually doing things that contribute to the quality of life (I'm not talking about blocking development - I'm thinking of things like Green Schools). Equally there are those who are involved with neither yet whinge and complain about the foreigners, foreign shops, x event not being good enough for them all the while not getting involved in any way themselves.

Lapin wrote: »
    However, as these towns (among others) do provide a large number of commuters to Galway, it is true that the daytime population of the city is significantly greater than the number of people living there.

This is what the planners don't seem to understand.

There appears to be quite a lot of reverse commuting as well, many teachers who work in places like Connemara Mayo Roscommon and Clare commute OUT from Galway daily.

These need to be netted off against the inbounds.

Howver defining Gort Tuam Loughrea and Oughterard largely as commuter towns for Galway is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

the population will be 1 less.I am leaving the country

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There appears to be quite a lot of reverse commuting as well, many teachers who work in places like Connemara Mayo Roscommon and Clare commute OUT from Galway daily.

Very true.

But a quick glance at the flow of traffic on the roads around Galway in the mornings will show that the vast majority it is moving in one direction.

Lapin wrote: »
    But a quick glance at the flow of traffic on the roads around Galway in the mornings will show that the vast majority it is moving in one direction.

The commuter belts were logged in the lst census and analysed since, this is called POWCAR data

http://airo.ie/theme/transport/mapped-outputs/14/563?title_sort=unsorted&field_scale_value_sort=DESC&field_year_value_sort=ASC&scale=Republic%20of%20Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If Galway was treated like Limerick, then Knocknacarra, Salthill, Headford Road, and Ballybane etc wouldn't even be considered part of Galway city.

Limerick currently has an edge on Galway in terms of extent of urbanization (check out Google maps) and in terms of population.

Long term, Galway's capacity to grow is seriously limited by physical issues such as the impossibility to build a southern ring road and the fact that the approach from all other cities is through one channel in the east. Limerick's growth blockers are political only.

topper75 wrote: »
    If Galway was treated like Limerick, then Knocknacarra, Salthill, Headford Road, and Ballybane etc wouldn't even be considered part of Galway city.
    Limerick currently has an edge on Galway in terms of extent of urbanization (check out Google maps) and in terms of population.
    Long term, Galway's capacity to grow is seriously limited by physical issues such as the impossibility to build a southern ring road and the fact that the approach from all other cities is through one channel in the east. Limerick's growth blockers are political only.

Galway is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway's major industrial base is in medical devices.

What's Limerick's? (quasi-medical substances? :p )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

If it's reputation is to be believed, creating the need for medical devices?

Limerick has been on the ropes countless of times before and bounced back. The economic history of the city is littered with loads of pre-Dell examples - Wang, AST, Ferenka, Ranks, Limerick Clothing Company, Taits etc.

Why isn't Galway's "major industrial base", as you put it, mopping up people from the not insignificant welfare queues? Probably not everyone has the capacity to be bio-scientists. If getting to work in a recession is this nuts in the morning, we better pray there is never another boom in Galway, whatever the industry.:D

Eman Resu wrote: »
    If it's reputation is to be believed, creating the need for medical devices?

Reputations are decided by Dublin media. Dublin media who enjoy some messy beers falling down Shop St. but who don't enjoy watching their rugby team being driven back over their own line by a working class opposition pack.

If someone deals/takes drugs in Galway, they are a hippy. With the same thing in Limerick, they are a scumbag.

Careful with those reputations Eugene.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Reputations are decided by Dublin media. Dublin media who enjoy some messy beers falling down Shop St. but who don't enjoy watching their rugby team being driven back over their own line by a working class opposition pack.

If someone deals/takes drugs in Galway, they are a hippy. With the same thing in Limerick, they are a scumbag.

I've noticed this kind of posting of late where there's a perceived Dublin-based anti-Limerick bias in the media. Is Limerick twinned with Liverpool by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

That's why the statement began with an if, and who's Eugene?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I dont really agree with that. I know most of the city center is not really feasible for development but the docklands is due for major overhaul and south of the railway line around Renmore could be realclaimed. You could provide access to this from the Roscam roundabout.The Ardaun area is surrounded on 3 sides by dualcarrigeways. Galway bypass would help solve the gridlock round Doughiska.

I would argue that Galways growth blockers are political aswell. Galways problem is density, or lack there of. The council sh*t bricks when CIE wanted to put 2 16 story towers in the Ceant station redevelopment.They are militanty opposed to anything not shaped like a bungalow or a roundabout. There isnt the critical mass to needed provied the high frequency public transport Galway so desperately needs. Result is that Galway is congested diffuse collection of housing estates and retail parks with a core that cannot expand to meet growing needs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I dont really agree with that. I know most of the city center is not really feasible for development but the docklands is due for major overhaul and south of the railway line around Renmore could be realclaimed. You could provide access to this from the Roscam roundabout.The Ardaun area is surrounded on 3 sides by dualcarrigeways. Galway bypass would help solve the gridlock round Doughiska.

I would argue that Galways growth blockers are political aswell. Galways problem is density, or lack there of. The council sh*t bricks when CIE wanted to put 2 16 story towers in the Ceant station redevelopment.They are militanty opposed to anything not shaped like a bungalow or a roundabout. There isnt the critical mass to needed provied the high frequency public transport Galway so desperately needs. Result is that Galway is congested diffuse collection of housing estates and retail parks with a core that cannot expand to meet growing needs.

Completely agree with that. Galway city is far too low density and sprawls outwards too much. There needs to be much more infill and development of high density housing within the existing built fabric of the city.

Galway aslo needs its outer bypass to properly move forward. The city is chocked by traffic congestion. One reason for this is that the built fabric of the city is aligned East to West, with much of the population living in the West of the city squeezing over the river Corrib to work in the office parks and factories in the East of the city.

Finally, to got to the OP's question, I'd say that Galway has probably passed or is very close to the 80,000 mark. The city's population could reach 100,000 within a decade. However, another 80,000 could be accommmodated in the city if more thoughtful planning was adopted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Census 2022 just released show Galway & suburbs has 85,910 - and density is 1500 persons per sq km (incredibly low!)

Add in Oranmore, Baile Chláir, Bearna, Moycullen and pop. is 97,976

Limerick City & suburbs has 102,287, and density of 1669 per sq km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Limerick City Metropolitan District is now 114,692. This is broken down into: Limerick City North 36,385. Limerick City West 38,654. Limerick City East 39,653. Easy to compare one figure to another but you need to go a bit deeper with that figure for Limerick, plenty areas not included too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Dexpat

I've posted this table that I've put this together based on the data in the latest census release, into a few of the regional forums. The methodology for measuring city and suburbs has changed since 2016. I've included the new methodology, built up urban areas (BUA), when showing percentage increases. It is not on a like for like basis to the 2016 'settlements' figure, but it gives an approximation of the increase.

Galway's urban area doesn't include Oranmore, Bearna etc. Limerick has had Annacotty and other small areas removed, which was included previously. Tramore's population of over 11,000 isn't included in Waterford's population. However all the new BUAs in the census are done on the same basis, so this will be the official figure used in future. The metro area populations are obviously higher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement