Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I hope one of the positives that comes out from this fiasco is that is shines a light on the what is going in these public/semi public companies and departments. It seems that the management are creaming off most of the budget for themselves and then sending the crumbs to the frontline where budget is needed. You can bet if it is going on in RTE with their budget you can picture what is going in places where the budget is bigger. I am surprised there has never really been much focus on the HSE and the way they allocate the budget and the amount waste in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You again…you’re easily irritable. Let’s put each other on ignore. Might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have absolutely no doubt that Geraldine will be fired first. She was completely out of control when it came to spending taxpayer money. I'd say they will wait for the PAC hearings to end and then fire her. Then again Catherine Martin said her report would take 7 months which is crazy stuff - they may need Geraldine around for that Q&A.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,560 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RTE should pay him pro-rata based on his previous contract for the three or so weeks he worked without a contract in place. Either way, he's not on the radio at the minute, so stop paying him. If they had a verbal agreement to pay him until a new contract was negotiated, he's not on the radio so those payments can stop.

Then he has no comeback on them for working without a contract, and they can negotiate a new contract if they want him to continue on the radio. And given that everyone will be looking at the figure, give him a low offer and let him walk if he doesn't agree to it.

And who are you today? Seriously, get a grip at some point. The act is see through. RT can help you with the narcissism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

The 10 year rugby tickets are pretty interesting- they can’t be client gifts (surely!!), so maybe RTE corporate ones? Can they all be accounted for? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

The CFO is irking me more and more. If he didn't know about these payments what on earth was he doing every day. Forwarding emails and blindly accepting responses? I've never worked any place whose Financial control team weren't absolutely scrupulous about each and every penny. That's their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

The banks, the church, the guards, the justice system, the hse, the olympics committee, rte, scouting ireland, horse racing ireland....

The list goes on and on.

Is there any institution in this country that hasn't been tainted by corruption or scandal and is fit for purpose??

CPL 593H

Common denominator? People. You can never have any organization free from “wrong doings.”

• Advertisement

Great post and I complete agree with the clerical abuse comment. In this instance they are saying it's only one "bad egg" (Dee Forbes) but it's clear there is a culture of superiority, untouchability, arrogance and cover-up.

They have been utterly found out now even though they are still withholding information. Interesting to see if the they bring all the Barter account payments to the next PAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I think we all know that they were for in house at rte, and the best boy's and girls took their turn to use them

Didn't Tubs say on radio that he went to the rugby a few times, king of kindness ain't paying for no tickets

You know, it was a good week for Ireland. For once we got to see the system working and exposing the rot in elite circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭furiousox

Agree, but it seems to be worse in this country than others.

CPL 593H

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in an irish times article earlier, i was reading that PK was on €950k at one point - is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It looks like the previous chair had a real bone to pick also - id say she tried to stop them and was forced out. She was the only rte witness to really have total comfort in everything she answered. I think we need to hear more from her.

Small country where everyone knows everyone. Could lead to that feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭CPTM

Can anyone explain why we don't have another person anywhere in the country that can do Ryan T's job for 250k? It's an absurd amount of money but at the end of the day it's supply and demand, economics would dictate that we have just one Ryan and no one else is as good as him... at sitting.... in a chair... and asking questions that were handed to him..? How are the salaries so high, or how are there not dozens of people about 150k cheaper coming along behind him whenever he hikes up his price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

While I don't have much time for Cosgrave, I'm glad he did this. The only way to hold the likes of Kelly and Forbes to account is to get the gardai involved, who cannot now just brush this off.

Forbes/Kelly allegedly conspired to defraud taxpayers with false invoices requesting payment for services that were never provided and those invoices were then passed on to the cfo and auditors as fact. Very serious offence potentially and huge sums involved, which the gardai must investigate. At the very least they need to interview Kelly and Forbes.

Any sightings of RT out n about browsing books or drinking coffees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'd imagine the revenue commissioners will be very interested in the barter account and if tax on BIK was paid on everything. And if RTE pay that tax, as they did the PRSI for wealthy stars, there will be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,242 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They should hold the presser on Fridays for what's on the following week.

I'd say they never had even a fraction of the figures they had this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

I'm at a loss on why we need to hire someone living in London too. Has rte no"talent" coming through the ranks to take over. Seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Everyone in RTE is highly paid ,I think the vast majority on above 60K per year that's way above national averages. I think the huge salaries of the top10 was used as a benchmark to pull up the salaries of all the underlings in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Senature

Whether it's unusual or not, it's totally inappropriate. Just looks like the staff are using company money to pay for themselves to attend events and bringing clients as the way of justifying it. They are a broadcaster funded by public money, not a private media organisation.

A few free tickets for employees to attend RTE events is no big deal. But trips abroad for clients and staff are not justifiable unless it is to cover a news story etc.

Also, surely RTE pay enough to the IRFU to show the 6 nations etc to get a few tickets to the matches in the Aviva....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Ah that wasn't my understanding. Talk of zero hour contracts etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect there was a 'he pulls in €Xm of advertising' in the negotiations; which would be a facile argument, you give someone two of the prime time slots, you're going to get good advertising unless they're a total car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Expunge

Has anyone any idea how active Carol and Associates are in and around RTE?

I see they represent the likes of Meeeriam, Marty Whelan and Oliver Callan.

Is this just for corporate gigs etc or would they negotiate for RTE gigs also?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I believe Tubridy is still being paid even though he is not on the radio at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭elefant

Apologies if this has been asked before in the thread, but it's something I've been wondering about the past couple of days and haven't really known where I could seek out some informed opinions on it:

All the stuff about concerts, matches, hotels etc. for clients is standard enough in a lot of companies, and I see a smattering of people on social media defending RTE's practices along these lines. However, I can't help but thinking - is it really necessary for a national broadcaster to be schmoozing clients like that? Am I naive to be thinking that RTE is the only show in town for the kind of media that they offer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement