Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭avfc1874

I'd say, the young bad eggs that tubs used to slate, wearing hoods and covering their faces,all in black, will be Tubs fashion sense for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

During the Celtic Tiger, renumeration for talents in RTE went crazy. PK was on that and I think a few more were on 500k+ inc RT.

Kenny left in was it 2013/14. It was actually the Loyalty bonus was the reason. It was 750k and he took that and Newstalk were paying him about 400k a year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Cosgrove is a clown. Better off without him near any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

If this was a certain US bank, based in Dublin.. this is what would happen.

Senior manager flies over, fires anyone connected with the problem, worry about local employment laws afterwards.

I have seen this in action, whole teams called into a room and told to pack their bags now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I've seen it in a quite a few walks of life but mainly payroll/accounts controller/bank clerk people.

GOL strikes me as someone who maybe helped herself to a little bit, then a little bit more, then more and more and then it got to the point where it was like a flip it what's the harm. This generosity was extended to friends and family then.

If this was in the US you can be pretty sure the FBI would be in there uprooting the place and seizing devices today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Maybe for contract cleaners or canteen staff etc not directly on the RTE payroll but all the "staff" are on big salaries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

We haven’t been told who the “clients” are yet so I’m going to call them guests until we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Well I guess I'll have to take your word for it?

We got told by Dee that Darcy was coming back in on huge wages ebcause of the advertisers he could bring in.....that was a lie and his TV show got canned. Yet he is still on big wages.

Another total waste of money by RTE. Of course bring in Darcy if you want but not on huge money if he isn't pulling in the viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

No-one would have a problem with a small amount of schmoozing. It becomes a problem when its vast sums and completely over the top perks for the advertiser and the person offering the perks, such as bringing along spouses or relations and paid out of RTE funds. This is clearly unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

I doubt Geraldine o leary et al would be up for going with the news team to cover the Ukraine war even if the news team only go as far as Poland anyway for this. Don't think there are any RTE reporters even in kyiv

Agree, I think there needs to be a petition from the Irish public to audit all public/semi public companies and departments where taxpayers money is going. Wherever something is flagged get them in before PAC

Lots of these Execs and Non Execs are aquiantances and run in the same social circles so practices would be shared.

I've said it, we are a 1st world country with 3rd world services. Where is all the money we pay in taxes going!???

I'm not seeing value at all how ever as clear as day is before night the RTE scandal may just have opened a Pandora's box and awoken the sleepy public.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Actually the common denominator is that there is no over sight on these institutions, just give them the money and away ya go lads. Also they are loaded up with political cronies as well. What do you expect when the example is coming from the top? You know when management in these places see politicians getting away with passing confidential documents to mates, lying on planning applications, giving their mates nice little contracts because they put up posters, a finance minister with no bank account and claiming he won money on the horses, I could go on. This is why the likes of Dee Forbes and the RTE Management behaved like they do because the see it being done at the top and them getting away with it.

I really thought after the crash that we would have learned or at least government would have and they would have implemented tighter controls and tougher laws to deal with this but nope it has actually gotten a lot worse and still they are paying ridiculous salaries to these people. There should be a pay cap of 100K for people working the public and civil server management like the DG's, and so on. Not one of them should be earning more than the Taoiseach.

Good point. RTE can't claim confidentiality on this, the names of guests will have to be revealed (at least to the PAC), otherwise it could be anyone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I was wondering the same thing when I read about the expenditure on clients.

I understand it happening in companies competing for business or rewarding clients. But who would RTE be schmoozing and for what?

There is definitely a large section very well paid. I think Aine Lawlor is on 180-190 k, a substantial number of journalist's must be up there as well.what I cannot understand is the need for 3-4 different presenters for Primetime a show on two days a week.

There is different news readers for 6 and 9 pm slots. God be with the time Charles Mitchell, Maurice O Doherty and Don Cochrane would do that and the short bulletin at the end of the night as well. I think 1-2 could do Nuacht as well.

Admittedly a bit more is expected nowadays but the number of staff is huge and I get the opinion that few enough are on under 100k with many on more than 150k.

What are the odds that when they publish the top 100 that 150k will e the base line

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Geraldine has to “ask their permission” before those names can be released. I think you know what the answer to that question will be,

Hats off to the PAC - I was super impressed with them. Thought young James O'Connor was fantastic and we need more of his ilk in politics.

26 years young and hammering the old boys club with penetrating, concise questions on behalf of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Yes the top 100 will be interesting. And we should have that in the coming days they said?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spot on. It’s when it gets a lil out a hand. Problem is, out a hand can be subjective..

• Advertisement

They are already all supposed to be audited but the issue is like we see in RTE is the people doing the audit are friends. Deloitte/Grant Thorton don't want to rock the boat because they might not get the return business the next year. So the auditors are a f**king waste of millions as well.

RTE seem to have figured out a loop hole with this "barter account" which was used to funnel money to use for whatever purpose the board wanted. Most of it seemed to be used to go on the pi** to any event.

Believe me when I say this the number of government departments at events, not just workers but board members at event in Ireland is incredible. It would seem its not just RTE that have this method to have the ability to attend any event in Ireland that might be of interest to them. Plus also in a nice box/premium level.

Trying to say this is because of advertisers is bulls**t as well. It's a jolly for the RTE board and nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Surely it should be the other way and RTE Execs being wined and dined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes he was excellent.

I heard someone refer to the government's own handling of public sector salaries/payrises and how they couldn't control it either. The example given was Watt.

Mystery over conditions that prompted top civil servant Robert Watt to accept €81,000 pay rise | Independent.ie

Mystery over conditions that prompted top civil servant Robert Watt to accept €81,000 pay rise.

THE conditions that prompted a senior civil servant to justify accepting a controversial €81,000 salary increase remain a mystery.

The Secretary General at the Department of Health, Robert Watt, is getting his full pay of €294,920 a year.

He is the highest-paid civil servant in the country.

The Department of Health confirmed he is now in receipt of his full salary after waiving €81,000 of it less than a year ago.

He temporarily refused the increase he received last April after the Government came under fire for boosting the salary for his role.

Mr Watt said he would continue to waive the raise until the economy began to recover and the unemployment figures fell.

But while it emerged yesterday that he was now getting the extra €81,000, it is unclear for how long he had waived it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Well one thing for RTE they proved the old saying by Sir Walter Scott

''O what tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive''

Fair play it some web they wove

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 27,648 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The bould Paddy has now made so many complaints to AGS that have gone nowhere that he must be in danger of a charge of wasting Garda time.

Suspect this will end up somewhere similar. Wrongdoing yes, criminality unlikely.

Gardai may have to determine that. It could be an advertiser, it could be friends of someone in RTE. We simply don't know, so best to let gardai investigators find out.

Paddy has got himself a reputation as an irritable crank. Don't think it will be taken seriously.

However IT DOES NOT mean he is wrong and it should absolutely be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not defend that kind of money or indeed the arrogance of Watt but if Grubby Tubby is worth 500k a year then the guy who is literally running the country is probably worth close to 300k.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I didn't actually get to watch it but got the gist from the thread and some clips.

We need more of the type on PAC who ask very straightforward questions, rather than grandstanding - which I gather from comments here was going on with some of the TDs.

This RTE board is full of sitting ducks, ask them the questions in a straightforward way and then sit back and watch them implode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

how much does Emma o Kelly earn?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement