Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

Hey, stop that loose talking, it will probably be used to justify the next hike in TDs and the political upper echelon's pay!! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo says laws may have been broken in regard to the secret barter account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,123 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'm a civil servant. I get paid 61500 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely both boards have to be stood down by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Tubridy I think started in RTE making tea for gerry Ryan show, maybe he was on a zero hour contract when he was a student looking to get his feet in the door.

I think all this zero hour contract malarkey is a way of getting all the young ones in there now that know someone high up in RTE onto to the RTE payroll permanent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Id say all those working in the industry and hoping for reform of RTE be careful what you wish for, if the commercial and public service aspects are separated it will end up being like PBS America dull buth worthy not a place for a career in journlism it won't be the BBC because the money won't be there. Montrose will sold off and a small meida campas for the PBS bit. The commercial side will be just like Vergin or Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Look up what Conan O'Brian was paid for the tonight show to see what happened when it all commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

But if the norm in an org is to issue a written contract for all employees services taken on then a service or employee being considered on the grounds of a verbal agreement is standing on very shaky ground if they are trying to argue that a contract is/was in place. Pull the OTHER LEG comes to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He could almost be posting here...

The Taoiseach has said he cannot rule out the possibility that some of the payments made through the RTÉ barter account may have been on the wrong side of the law.

Speaking as he arrived at the EU leaders’ summit in Brussels, Leo Varakdar said: "I don't think we can rule out the fact that it's not just a case of irregular payments, that some of these payments may have been on the wrong side of the law. But I don't want to jump to that conclusion."

He said he was "not sure" the situation had reached a point where gardaí might need to be involved. "It did concern me to hear that payments were - or it would appear anyway - that payments were made by RTÉ to outside contractors for work that wasn't actually done... That does raise issues in terms of accounting rules, and company law. But I think we're not yet at that point."

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0630/1391990-rte-payments-politics/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Karppi

A couple of thoughts from me.

First, proceedings yesterday and previous utterances have left me completely unclear on whether RT is out of contract - I bet there will be a dispute over whether his extant contract lapsed when he gave up the LLS (questions abound about when and why he did that; of course) or whether it just triggered a review to take account of the fact he was going "Radio only" (not to be confused with "Radio Silence", which is where RT seems to be at the mo). When the RTE Legal person said that it might be a verbal contract, I shivered. Having worked in a semi-state, the concept of hiring (or retaining a contractor beyond their contract end) would not have existed, let alone be countenanced.

From my perspective, Anne O'Leary came out of it pretty well. She was clearly exasperated about the whole omni-shambles, she had the chronology, events, who said what to whom etc to hand and gave her evidence with clarity; which was poles apart from the performance of most of her colleagues. I hope she isn't thrown out with the bathwater when the day of reckoning comes (if it ever truly does!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Leo shouldn’t be asked questions like that when he is attending the EU leaders conference in Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There may be a verbal contract eg if you turn up for the show we will pay you at previous rate from a previous contract etc.

However, I doubt that extends to any severance etc terms. If RTE say don't turn up, services no longer needed, that's that.

Unless there's some clause from the previous contract that could kick in, some sort of exit bonus \ loyalty on completion of contract and services no longer required.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The HSE are losing out on over €750k a month due by not reclaiming costs from health insurance companies, because they haven't staffed the offices that were responsible for doing so. Three quarters of a million, every month. Imagine what a competent CFO would think of that particular situation.

All of these governmental institutions are a disgrace. But then, like politics, they are simply a reflection of the people they serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

This is a feeding frenzy for politicians trying to make themselves look good.

The junkets & top ups for senior staff, the fighting any pay or condition improvement for lower paid staff, arrogant senior management , disregard for value for taxpayers money, crazy payment and procurement processes - this is all in line with the wider civil service.

Nothing new here, except it's where the journos work .

Who is kicking up about the missing billion that vanished into the HSE?

Yes some Government departments are poorly run.

Let's not deflect though. This looks like a situation whereby a private entity in NKM has falsely invoiced a public body.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Expunge

SIPTU/NUJ could force the "talent" and agent issue by members refusing to work with any contractor presenter hired with the input of a third party agent. Primetime radio and tv wouldn't be long grinding to a halt and a resolution would have to be found quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Has it been asked how many hours per week that RT is required to work?

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

So Ryan "I had nothing to do with it" Tubridy (#kindness guru who spent every morning for the past few years preaching about supporting local communities by buying local) is happy to continue taking his outrageous fees as the scandal worsens. He hasn't offered to return a single cent to the public or to make any gesture whatsoever to try to make amends. I'm guessing he'll refuse the invitation to speak to PAC too.

Not surprising really when you look at those weasels in front of the committee. Millions in salaries between them and not an ounce of sincerity between them - "wasn't my responsibility", "i don't remember", "I don't know my salary". Then Dee Forbes and her mental health issues. Fúck me.

They're all carbon copies of one another; entitled, arrogant snobs. Interesting insight into the type of culture that created the self-anointed "Toyman", who has a strong track record in burying his head in the sand any time someone says anything he doesnt like

I think the better approach would be to refuse to work with any contractor who hasn't been hired by way of a public procurement tendering process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not really walsh. Person in RTE in charge of account and/or commercial director, fine. Another person in RTE with nothing to do with the advertising account, or a spouse or relative of the RTE person, out of hand. It's fairly cut and dried and the rules should be documented. If not its more governance issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The CFO’s communication is terrible. Opposite of Lynch who is verbally smooth but completely incompetent at board level. I’ve never seen a man like Lynch to project so much calm confidence and power but have so little control or say so little without meaning. The CFO in that very Irish way is trying to point directly at people responsible and the culture in operation by not saying anything directly. He better get over that. The CFO was walked all over by DF, O’Leary and NK (and Turbridy pushing buttons in the background) but he better start singing because next week will be murder.

At this moment, it’s impossible to have trust in any of them because of the ambiguity and drip feed nature of the info or lack of info.

But I do think there’s enough ‘verbal agreement’ culture at play to fire everyone. But just Getting rid of everyone is not good enough at this stage. There’s been criminal activity with tax payers money.

I think that was a distraction plea from Lynch at the beginning. Go easy, We’re all going anyway when the new DG comes in. Doesn’t work like that, buddy.

I still don’t understand why Coveney is getting such a free ride. He’s been whispering to O’Leary during her answers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,432 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

With reference to the majority being on over 60k per year - that is 100% inaccurate and simply reading their accounts proves that.

If RTE was a French broadcaster, the whole place would be in flames right now.

• Emma O Kelly said separate to financial oversight at RTÉ, the union wants a root and branch review of how staff are treated at RTÉ as she highlighted the issues around culture.
    • She said " huge governance issues" also need to be addressed.
    • Ms O Kelly said the NUJ has adopted a position since 2019 that there should be pay caps.
    • "That includes on air talent and executives. No one should be on on more than the top civil servant salary."

• Chair of the NUJ Dublin Broadcasting Branch Emma O Kelly said RTÉ employees are "really worried" for the organisation's financial future.
    • She said they are appealing to the Government of the "urgent need" to create a "sustainable and equitable funding model" for public service broadcasting.
    • Speaking on Morning Ireland, Ms O Kelly said it seems RTÉ has "lost sight of its public service remit" following revelations at Oireachtas hearings over recent days.
    • "Anyone listening yesterday and hearing about cars being made available and all these trips to the K Club and Rugby World Cup, it would seem to us that commercial is winning in that."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭sporina

concentrating more on his job?? are you joking? weren't you watching?

and lol I am sure that as all this is about money and salary, that he as CFO would for sure know what he was being paid as i am sure that too was negotiated lol

he's toast anyway - Imelda even referred to him as a "redundant CFO"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,559 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As great and professional as Miriam was on Primetime last night calling into question the actions of RTE etc, couldn't help but wonder if she was thinking to herself "I'm going to have to take a f*cking paycut because of this...."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am pretty sure the entire exec board will be replaced soon enough. They might get a stay of execution due to Martin's 7 month report but they are toast on the long run. A couple might retire or resign in the meantime. There will be zero confidence in RTE while any of them are there keeping the dodgy culture alive.

I wonder will we see the board minutes. It sounds like there was very little governance so the minutes could be scant.

I remember the minutes that went completely missing when the superquango Irish Water was being setup. Hogan hid them.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I get the impression that Ms O'Kelly is trying to advance her own interests at this stage. Where was she before this if she knew how bad things were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Issuing an invoice/s for 150k to a publicly funded company offering services which were never given and the payee of that invoice then concealing from their own employer the reason for the payments is serious and as the Taoiseach said does appear to have strayed into the wrong side of the law. People can say what they like about the payments to Tubridy, but it was how it was done which is potentially illegal and fraudulent. You can't just divert public funds to someone without proper invoices or accounting for it and concealing it from the cfo, board and auditors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement