Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salmon Weir gets new bridge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭serfboard

Great news. And good to read in the article about plans to develop the bridge on the old railway columns further up the river.

I passed by yesterday, and it looked as if Newtownsmyth might be open to (car) traffic again now? Can anyone confirm that?

Also, now that the new pedestrian bridge is opening, how long will it be before the Bus Gate on the Salmon Weir bridge comes into effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,185 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone taking bets how long before a car gets stuck on the bridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It is the "natural" route across the Corrib when exiting the Car Park with the Cathedral in the middle of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Got a good look at it from the Newtonsmith side for the first time yesterday, and my first thought was that cars 100% will drive onto it - the design practically invites it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

While I have no doubt someone will attempt to cross by car the design appears to have a view hole in the middle. The design cannot be blamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Opened today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,311 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

"Known currently as the Salmon Weir Pedestrian and cycling Bridge, an official name will be unveiled in months to come" - according to RTE News.

Can I ask, how many fecking pointless council meetings and euros spent in the coming months will be spent coming up on that new name? Why not just call it the Salmon Weir bridge?

And the cynic/realist in me says, it looks great on a sunny day like today, but 6 months from now it will look filthy.

Instead of budgetting for the naming of it, has the council budgeted for cleaning it?

TG4 report, last few seconds show how bad the location is imho, compared to desire line of travel, Town<->Uni.

• Advertisement

Once the Bus Gate is installed it will change this area though.

I know Council did the bridge on the cheap not building a vehicular bridge - but I think in the long run it may not be the worst thing they have ever done if the bus gate is properly implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,886 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're right, good cop. Of course the design can not be blamed. It's actually a really cool & clever design characteristic. The bridge creates enough shade for a downward observation point that gives the observer an unobtrusive reverse periscope perspective with no reflective glare or sunlight to view spawning salmon & other underwater activity.

Would love that to be a requisite for all bridges that cover important rivers in Ireland. Someone was thinking outside the box here, the bridge is obviously much more than a bridge, it's a feature & somewhere to pause, relax & discover.

Again, the Corrib is an amazing river, it's vibrancy, it's rush & energy really reflects the city of Galway as it floods out to the bay. Looking forward to visiting again.

Took a stroll over the new bridge yesterday. First off, no worries about anyone driving over it, bollards to beat the band, on both entrances, so its not an issue.

Its great to be able to see the original Salmon Weir Bridge, its not a view I ever took in before though I'm looking forward to seeing the eel traps (at least thats what I heard them called) removed. Removing those and giving it a bit of a wash and it will look amazing

The view downriver is nice too and you'd hardly know you were in a city with the way the trees are

I didn't take many shots of the seating area as it was pretty crowded. Its a lovely spot to sit and just chill by all accounts though

The bridge itself looks class with the Cathedral as the backdrop

All in all, a class result

Image below is from the council press release, didn't realize it would be lit up like this at night

The council are inviting submissions for public art installations. I'm guessing that means some kind of sculptures or something

Still can't see too many cycling over it though, but maybe that will change with bus connects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

After saying earlier in this thread that I didn't expect to ever cycle over it, I ended up doing just that on Saturday. I was leaving St. Pat's school and needed to get to Mill Street, so I decided to turn left and go up by Bowling Alley, across the bridge, and back down Nun's Island. It trebled the length of that journey, so I wouldn't do it again, but it was interesting to check it out. Some observations:

1) the bridge was busy but not too full, and having some people walking and others on bikes didn't seem to create any issues. I took it very slowly and those walking seemed to take on board that there were people on bikes; they weren't actively dodging or anything like that but maybe just continuing to walk straight until a bike had gone past, and only then moving over to the parapet to admire the view, for example.

2) the benches were getting good use and there were plenty people taking selfies.

3) coming from the Newtownsmith side there was no issue getting from the road up to the bridge level without hitting a curb due to the wide raised table. On the other side there's a substantial drop from the kerb to the road for most of the length of the bollards. So, if you're going like I was, across the bridge east to west and the turning left towards Nun's Island, you either have to crash down off the kerb or head right instead and join all those on foot at the pedestrian crossing to come down there. I was able to get my bike down off the kerb without a problem but I wouldn't see my father on his electric bike doing that, for example. It seems unnecessary to funnel bikes into a tight mix with people walking at that point when there is so much space available.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

I just came across the bridge for the first time on my bicycle. I somehow expected there would be one "lane" for cyclists and another for pedestrians. There is no such marking. Would it not be a good idea to split the pedestrians from cyclists on the bridge? On all the main footpaths going west (Westside), cycle lanes are separate from footpaths - they are marked differently and colored differently......

(If I was being cynical - I would say the new bridge looks like a pedestrian bridge that tolerates cyclists, and the old bridge is a car bridge that tolerates cyclists.....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭jkforde

is there a project to remove the eel traps and some TLC for the SWB?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

The Eel traps are definitely up for removal, it was mentioned at some point in a council presentation as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

No one wants to take ownership of them, that’s the problem.

It’s stuck in the mire between City Council, Inland Fisheries, Lough Corrib Navigation and other agencies, so I can’t see them being removed any time soon unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭rustyfrog

Crazy they weren't ripped out when there was so much equipment around the site.

• Advertisement

A separate EIS would be required. The bridge faced no environmental concerns as they weren't putting anything into the water or disturbing the flow or riverbed.

Removing the traps would have those issues

I cannot find any reference, but am sure I've heard someone say the eel traps cannot be removed for some reason. (Heritage? Something .. cannot remember what / where it's from.

There's a thin reference to heritage issues here: https://connachttribune.ie/salmon-traps-on-corrib-unsafe/

Two separate structures, I believe. The eel traps are right up against the Salmon Weir Bridge but the salmon traps are downstream of the new pedestrian bridge, level with the southern edge of the Cathedral carpark. The former looks to be made solely from metal and constructed relatively recently, while the latter has multiple stone buttresses in the river and looks much older. You would hope that would mean the eel traps don't have any serious heritage hurdles to clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I wasn't aware that there was seating there. And from some of the above photos there seems to be lighting as well. I hope it doesn't turn into a 'Liffey Boardwalk' kind of thing where you have to double check to see if it safe to go there.

So what happens now? Are there plans now for the Weir bridge? Getting rid of one of the paths?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

The "plan" is to make traffic more congested by removing car access to the Salmon Weir bridge.

• Advertisement

Bus traffic, cycle Traffic, scooter traffic and pedestrian traffic will certainly increase on this transport corridor when this happens. The City Council finally decided to go with the most efficient modes. Looks like these modes will only be giving priority for a 12h window, probably 08h00 -> 20h00.

Probably 2025 when the change comes in

So, how's that new bridge going? Still see most pedestrians are walking on the SWB

That will continue while the obvious zebra crossing on the west end of the old bridge is still missing. It's a pain to cross over there to access the new bridge.

It should get much easier when they implement the bus gate.

I've crossed it as a pedestrian a couple of times in recent days but that was because my destination was the Council carpark beside the cathedral. If going to the university, or even the hospital, I would have stuck with the Salmon Weir Bridge.

Faster moving traffic will make it easier to cross the road?

• Advertisement

Faster moving less frequent vehicles will be easier than a continual stream of slow moving vehicles; yes.

As a frequent pedestrian, that doesn't match my experience.

Fast-moving roads are a lot more dangerous, unless they are very low volume.

From 28th Aug the 30k limit will apply for this and other roads and areas around the city

Less frequent means not often occurring or low volume. @rustyfrog said Faster moving less frequent vehicles will be easier than a continual stream of slow moving vehicles and as an every day urban & city pedestrian I'd agree.

Some damage on old bridge. These two rock chunks are separating, a large gap exists.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oof might want to alert city council to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's just jealous and looking for attention.

Alphabet Inc has given it a name already

Openstreetmap says something else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I wondered how many people walking from the Cathedral across this bridge heading to town noticed anything odd about the building they are facing as they do so.

I think when I noticed it had taken me a while, and I was coming from a different angle since i was crossing the old bridge. & the new perspective doesn't give you as good a look.

Also wondering why the wall was preserved

like I am genuinelky wondering if it is a thing that everybody living in Galway notices after a while or if ..... oh yeah, if it looks that way from here one expects the reality to follow.

What is odd about it? That the pitched roof is below the facade?

the fact that it is a facade. Is that like universally known already, is it in guide books and things.

Particularly approaching it at the level and direction that one is now doing so is it something everybody has already noticed or are there a load of people assuming that the facade continues into a real building, Actually, does it continue or is there a gap between that and the building on the other side? Not sure if what's now adhjacent to it is freestanding from it.

Is it a listed wall and if so did it get listed when it was separated from the original building and how did it survive.

I think I had been walking by it for a while a couple of decades ago when I realised that there was no continuation from gable to roof inside. & I'm not sure if that is as visible or at all visible from the new bridge's perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

What are you talking about? 🤔🤔

what's on the far side of this.

Just realising that i think both of those doors function

It was the Franciscan Abbey. Now the residential part of a convent. And yeah nobody knows what you were on about.

It's been there as a facade for decades and I wondered if it was well known as such. Could have been something everybody in town was already aware of.

I found it odd that it was preserved as a wall and not what had been inside the wall I think elsewhere things got gutted by bombing during the war etc but unlikely that would be here.

Also may have noticed from seeing in the gates from Francis st that the corresponding building didn't match it's exterior. Now wondering if what was built does go up to include that wall as a side or if it is a bit away from it.

Thought for a moment that glass was stained glass but not seeing it.

Just does still seem odd that there is a wall preserved without its interior. So assume there must be a reason they chose to.

Knock yourself out and it is a protected structure

the triple-gabled west elevation of nave and side aisles,

with a three-stage crenellated bell tower at the north end.

The original structure behind the façade replaced by a newer building.

The pointed arch-headed window openings have tooled chamfered limestone sills, roll chamfered surrounds and hood-mouldings.

A four-light cinquefoil-headed window at the former nave has geometric tracery and lead-lined stained glass.

There are pointed arch louvered openings in the upper stages of bell tower, and I understand the ceiling inside has plaster bosses and cornices, with ribs supported on colonettes over corbels.

Post edited by zell12 on

• Advertisement

Just does still seem odd that there is a wall preserved without its interior. So assume there must be a reason they chose to.

Not an unusual thing to do for older buildings where the interior is no longer viable or suitable

Advertisement