Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

the state of the pitch at this venue kind of makes a lottery of these games,

What do people make of the mulletheaded Baby Blacks so far after 2 games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Just coming on to say...how can they have so many games on the one pitch? It's in pieces at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

McIlory added mid year I think after leaving school. Was a weird one that.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭johnh6767

Gigantic game by the Irish team in treacherous pitch conditions, absolute mud bath , Forward dominated game and our pack was just enormous in their achievements against a widely pre match praised Aus pack. Front 3, phenomenal, back 5 equally impressive, very courageous stuff by back line too in very tough field play. Both McCarthy’s, Gleeson, Gunne, Gavin & Devine all stand out in a stand out performance. Squad rotation v Fiji now key as some of the main stay need recovery time having put in brutal effort over 2 tough games . Good to see Sam P kicking coming back, can’t be easy kicking on a marsh land

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Shehal

Firstly phenomenal from Ireland today, even more impressive as it was a different kind of win. Not as much flair but rolled up our sleeves and bludgeoned them upfront which was needed in the conditions!

• Advertisement

Holy **** **** but with 30 minutes to go Italy lead South Africa 31-12 and have their bonus point!!!!

And Georgia lead Argentina 12-0 going into HT.

Group C looking like a very interesting pool!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Was very impressed with Gleeson, Gunne, McCarthy and Prendergast.

For the latter, I do feel like he can be a bit static when receiving the ball. Makes it obvious that he's going to pass it on. But he has great vision and can pick out a pass that catches the defence out. Against Oz he spotted the rush defence and played a wide screen to completely cut them out.

If he can add a bit more movement to his game I feel like he'll go to the very top.

SA are clawing their way back now, 2 converted tries and they are back within 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Jaziz, well done Italy!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

fantastic result for Italy, well deserved, they have a beast of a forward division, 6 Nations teams showing up really strong

• Advertisement

Georgia beat Argentina 20-0 making group C very intriguing. If Ireland can win the group they will definitely be 2nd seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think that many people usually can’t be wrong and a lot of people love this guy, but i still liked H Byrne and Crowley more at u20.

To me, that ‘static’ thing is probably overrated as a problem but also the hardest thing to learn as a lot of that is athleticism.

I wonder will Ireland be allowed call up a back? Rory Telfer yellow got upgraded to a red meaning he will likely be suspended so Ireland only have enough outfield backs to field a starting backline, someone like Lynch or Cawley is going to have to wear the 23 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Pitch is really terrible for an u20 WC. Great win for Italy. Only saw the last 20 mins or so but they were bossing that SA pack which is hard to believe. It is a very open tournament which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

France would be the favorites in my opinion. Delighted they hockeyed the kiwis. If we don't win, I hope France do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Sometimes I wonder if that was for the alleged sins of other people, I hope not, but it crossed my mind at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Do Ireland have to win with bonus pt and hope Aus beat Eng? Or will a bonus point win do it for us regardless of other game

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

If we beat Fiji we're guaranteed the semis because no other runner up can get 12 points.

We'd have to meet France though.

That French pack is very lightweight and small!

Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭SophieLockhart

In the very unlikely event of Wales beating France with the French getting two losing bonus points, we might then need a bonus point against Fiji.

England thoroughly thumped Fiji. Can't see us putting up that kind of score.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

good win from Ireland - seams an open tournament - great results for Italy and Georgia too - Italy rugby is progressing (slowly)

I think we're fecked sideways going forward. Cooney out! Telfer probably out! Hadden injured! Q uinn with a concussion. The players are falling by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

A couple of people suggested it at the time and I didn't want to believe it, but McIlroy played a preseason game before the lad who got in ahead of him and the talent gap was so obliviously huge that it made me reconsider. Probably better off keeping that genie in the bottle anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Its a lot, but we did put 30 on Oz which helps. Let's see of England can get by them first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The table hasn't been updated on the world rugby site , but as it stands England would be topping the group on the basis of having a better P/D - +44 vs. Irelands +20

Looking at the schedule , Ireland kick off before England vs. Australia so they'll have to go out looking to build a score and close that Points difference , but if Australia can at the very least prevent an English Bonus point, Ireland would top the group if they can get a BP win of any kind against Fiji.

The availability of that Australian Prop looks like it could be pivotal - If they go up against England with the front row that played most of the game against Ireland they will be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deilf

The Paarl pitch is in tatters after that Italy v South Africa match - surely they can't use that next Tuesday? Another three matches on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's somewhat absurd that the England game starts 30 minutes after the Irish game. If points difference is tight (and it's likely to be the deciding factor), England will know exactly what they need to do in the closing stages.

Advertisement