Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

That's interesting. Looking at the historical pricing you can see that the Currency controls made a big difference immediately after the invasion but the price has been steadily dropping since last June and is now actually higher than the roughly 83Rb/$ value that they were before those controls were implemented.

From my understanding the main leg of those controls is that Exporters must sell their dollars for Rubles rather than hold on to them. Since exporters these days are pretty much just oil & gas companies (they're probably not flogging many weapons) I guess that means that they're no longer making enough from those sales to prop up the currency.

That means that Russia will probably need to sell more of its foreign reserves and gold etc if they want to try and keep a lid on this. If they don't then their imports are going to keep getting more expensive, thereby driving up inflation. For things like food and drink they can switch to domestic producers but for anything manufactured and especially high end stuff like pharmaceuticals and sanction busting machine parts and electronics there may be no local alternatives.

It's like death by a thousand cuts. On the plus side though, they've managed to solve male unemployment by having them get conscripted or flee the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭zv2

Either way it is a shame to throw such a good-looker out the window.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭saabsaab

An investigation? I wonder what that will turn up?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Just go on google maps and see for yourself they are just like us in that in 91 they seized an opportunity to better their lives and be self determined. Their houses and neighbourhoods say a lot about them they dreamed the western dream and caught up rapidly. The rancidity above them got afraid of the idea of serfs becoming nothing more than a tit to be squeezed and invaded Ukraine. But if it weren't for the corrupt politicians in the EU and UK the russians would have had to just sit back and watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If they haven't moved into a ground floor apartment by now I have no sympathy for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,211 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I have to laugh at the vox pops from Russia where the serfs say "We live well here - we are well looked after by the state and have everything we want", all the while living in a kip of a country and in what we would call poverty. Total brainwashing /gaslighting going on.

Long thread explaining what is likely to be the genesis of Progozhin's hatred for Shoigu:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

This is not true. There's no reason the quality of housing would be better in Ukraine. Ukraine is easily the poorest country in Europe, far poorer than Russia. Russian per-capita GDP was consistently 3 times that of Ukraine before the war. Since Putin invaded that disparity is much greater. Another common trope is that most Russians don't have internal toilets - another fallacy. In Russian cities, (where the vast majority of Russians live) almost all dwellings have toilets, as anyone who has visited there will attest to. Obviously, in terms of quality of housing, there's a huge rural-urban divide, with toilets less common in rural areas, but this divide exists in Ukraine too. 

I think, like most things, it's complicated. Russia is wealthier than Ukraine but that wealth is concentrated heavily in the urban elite. That makes direct comparison with wealth stats difficult because of how skewed Russian wealth is. In the rural and regional areas of Russia, that most of the armed forces are drawn from they often don't have paved roads or running water. Urban dwellers in Ukraine would certainly be a lot better off than those people.

There were reports that the Russian soldiers were shocked when they saw some of the housing in Ukraine because it was far better than how they lived and of course we all saw the scenes of them looting appliances and toilet bowls to bring back home.

Some stats about Russia:

source

In contrast Ukrainians appear to have better sanitation by and large. The World bank uses the following definition:

For Russia: (figures are %'s in 5 year increments from 2000 on the left to 2020 on the right)

Ukraine:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I have far too many people I know who are VPs in big banks for it to be a high title.

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

A terrorist state who can't get it's story straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I guess the point I'm making is that when people say that the standard of living is much better in Ukraine, it's because they're usually making a false comparison: they're comparing Rural Russia with Urban Ukraine. Urban standard of living is much better than Rural, in both Russia and Ukraine. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

That she had a history of sleepwalking and thought double glazing was an extravagance she could do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

Just a little something for anyone who still thinks Russia is a "Powerfull" country.

This is one of the best articles I've read in quite a while, this is the kind of stuff folks in governments should be reading and taking notice of. The clearer your view is, the better the decisions you make are.

By Philips O'Brien (no paywall)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I always felt that Pre-February 2022, that the way Ukraine retake Luhansk and Donetsk were if they were to join the EU, their standard of living rises dramatically and the Russo-Ukrainians get very jealous. The EU invests heavily in the neighbouring areas and the left behinds get FOMO.

They originally thought they would have a higher standard of living with Russian, which was a reason why they were happy with the annexation.

I truly believe that the vast majority of people only really truly care about their standard of living and not what flag is flying.

That's the thing about lying it gets harder and harder to remember previous lies, so tripping yourself up is certain.

Post edited by saabsaab on

When you are talking about truth in Russia you have to specify the day you are talking about because each day has its own truth.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭briany

Russia has no particular desire to get its story straight. In terms of politics, the Russian mindset is that lying is as noble as telling the truth. They've no interest in telling the truth or even giving a consistent story where doing so won't benefit them. This is an interesting and quite fundamental divergence in thought between the West and Russia. It's not like Western politicians do not lie their pants off in many instances, but there's an inherent shame about that when it's brought to light, and it's still the ideal that truth is ultimately better than lies. Not so in Russia - both have parity, and power is the true ideal.

This has been cited as a major stumbling block in the quest for Russia and western nations to come to a true understanding. Russian politicians assume all western politicians look at the world in the same deeply cynical way that they do, as if that is the natural order. Western politicians mistakenly believed at times that Russian politicians had ethics.

In relation to the Storm Shadow soundbite, it's an obvious and transparent lie, but Russia doesn't care about this at all. They've nothing to lose in saying it, and they must find the Western indignation almost amusing. If they get a few western contrarians parroting the soundbite, all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The counter-offensive into the south won't work unless Ukraine gets more help. There are just too many mines, too many anti-tank weapons, too much artillery, too many bodies, an aviation threat, and lines of logistics that Ukraine aren't able to target.

The above map indicates the range they can currently target with HIMARS. There are clearly vast swathes of occupied territory that are out of range where we know the Russians operate airfields, logistics centres, ammo dumps, army HQ's, etc.

People will say but what about Storm Shadow? These certainly have range, but based on their sparing use so far, my guess is the British have supplied only a small number of these, my guess is in the very low double digit numbers. Nowhere near enough to target everything the Ukrainians would like to hit.

If Ukraine are provided ATACMS AND in a decent number AND some time reasonably soon, I think it give a more realistic chance at the counter-offensive succeeding. Being able to target Saky airfield would seriously disrupt Russian aviation which is currently wreaking havoc with impunity on advancing Ukrainian armour. Having greater ability to hit supply depots just out of range of HIMARS will hit the Russian logistics. Forcing the Russian navy out of Sevastopol would impede their navy. There's of course the Kerch bridge too.

So as in Kherson, where HIMARS had a critical impact in forcing the Russians to abandon the right side of the bank, ATACMS could potentially do the same for the current counter-offensive.

Will Ukraine get in in time, and in the numbers they require?

The counteroffensive is more like attrition than the rout we were hoping for. I think the war will continue like this until the Russians are worn down. Ukraine needs lots of artillery for this, until the Russian line breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Especially in the Rural areas, things are bad enough for ordinary Russians or other groups. The glitz and glamour are noticeably absent once you leave the city's. But even there, they have their poorer side too. Th Vodka is the standard medication to take the sharp edge's off life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

It does make you wonder if the prolonged drip drip of weapons to Ukraine by the west was to slowly destroy the russian military and bankrupt the regime rather then out of abundance of fear of provoking Russia… either way the delay is costing Ukraine big time

Perhaps target the Vodka production and cause revolution?

• Advertisement

Edit: Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

Would dropping kegs of vodka into Russia lines be a good option along with an advisory for surrender?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Russians have had time to prepare, it was always going to be a tougher slog to extract an enemy that has bedded in. The previous offensive took everyone by surprised, especially given Ukraine was almost entirely on a rearguard before that point; everyone was caught with their pants down. Fool me once etc.

I think they have artillery that can reach... but if Ukraine can get more parity in the air, that'll make the difference IMO - as it has done for most conventional warfare since ww2. Lord knows how much equipment might have been saved had Ukraine some decent air support to hassle Russia's own. Not without reason Zelensky was practically begging the US for f16s

But the manner of the Russian defence speaks to how they're out of ideas WRT strategy and nous; trenches and mines?? It has descended into the mid 21sr century fighting an early 20th century force. And while they can slow down the advance, once the major breaches occur, you'd have to imagine Ukraine will simply swamp the rest of the defensive lines. Might as well call this Maginot V2.

To be a fly on the wall of the Russian forces' trenches. The morale must be non existent, surely?. How are they still fighting? Wonder are they being fed propaganda about Ukrainians killing PoW or something. And presumably the officer tradition of threatening your troops with a bullet in the head is still in vogue.

Very true. Just shows the difficulties when trying to negotiate with that miindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wonder what the plan is

Detonate or retreat

July 5th.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I was thinking the same thing. Static defenses are tough to break through, but if a breakthrough happens it needs to be countered with a flexible mobile reserve, otherwise all you have is a lot of units in static positions waiting to be rolled up or encircled. How many elite mobile formations do the Russians have to fill that role?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mike_cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭yagan

I won't be surprised if Putin would rather make eastern Ukraine uninhabitable if they can't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but I'd say that if / when Ukraine has one major break though, the rest will fold. The main aim and objective ( and now more than ever after the Prigozhin episode) of the Russian soldiers is survival first, second and third.

I think that is the revised plan. When they were building their fortifications, I said that I felt they are building their border. It think what they want is a Korean style DMZ Zone, except a lot thicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If and when they blow the plant I presume the US have to respond as if it was a nuclear weapon being deployed…..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Poland just received their first batch of Abrams tanks and true to their word they are giving Ukraine more of their Soviet era tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"The Ukrainians are going slowly because they are trying to limit their casualties — something that bloodthirsty Russian commanders don’t care about. It is doubtful that any Western military could do any better without air superiority."

Good piece from the Wapo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ukraine ought to respond in kind with a massive aerial mining on the Russian side of the border

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,209 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Or just go into Russia and go around the defences and attack them in the rear.

Pop up to undefended Moscow on the way for some milk

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

from what we saw last week with wagner,Ukraine could do it too!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The Freedom of Russia Legion no doubt have been looking at how far Wagner got and could be getting ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

be like that old film "convoy" only with tanks and apcs..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Rare Zaluzhny interview.

He's saying what's completely obvious but few seem to want to acknowledge. Ukraine needs more help. Predictions of Russian routs and collapses, useless platitudes, thoughts and prayers, etc. aren't going to cut it.

Link without paywall https://archive.ph/2nyYu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭rogber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭ginger22

They would want to make shure the wind wasn't blowing from the west.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Russia did this at Zaporizhzhia, then what remained of Russia's allies would slink into the undergrowth, 'cos nobody's going to bat for a country that would knowingly sabotage a nuclear power plant. You'd imagine even the tedious ageing lefties like Lula would stop trying to Whatabout NATO. I can't seriously imagine Russia are that desperate and that maniacal that they'd slag a plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If they do it, I'd expect NATO air strikes to cripple the Russian military and sink the Black Sea fleet within hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭rogber

A country ruled by a deluded narcissist whose powerbase may be threatened and who has gone on record saying a world without a strong Russia is a world not worth having.

I suspect he and his cronies love their lives of wealth and luxury too much to throw it all away over Ukraine, but you never know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement