Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What I'm worried about are the calls to shut down RTE. I don't like it all the time, it's presenters are biased at times, but to shut it down entirely is dangerous. We can see this from the media landscape in the US and the UK where the whole media landscape is dominated by a half dozen or so individuals. They can decide elections, rile people up against each other, start wars and more.

Be careful what you wish for. RTE needs to be changed and updated, not abolised.

Considering the behaviour of RTE during the pandemic I would suggest they are already as bad as anything in the US, they acted as a propaganda wing of the government every bit as much as a FOX news would.

RTE doesn't need to be changed and updated, it needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I have always agreed with this to an extent. If RT wasn't pontificating to the masses during covid about being nicer humans and looking after one another then he might have a leg to stand on. Morally he is bankrupt and will never work in Ireland again you would imagine.

Just to hammer home the point of how much of snake he was when a lot of the country were about to be living on 300 quid a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Some of us are of an age that we remember when a lot of RTE radio staff cut their teeth in pirate radio and community radio. They then made the step to RTE and talent decided if they got a shot at the big time. Sometimes it worked; sometime it didn't.

I remember Gerry Ryan at night time in the 80's; The Ryan Line I think it was called. Used to be on after 10pm. Good programme. Then they took a punt on his getting a 3 hour slot at 9am. Big risk, but worth it and it paid off. And it was all done without Noel Kelly. Fairly long list of excellent broadcasters who made it without an agent like him; Gaybo, Mike Murphy, Wogan, Marian Finucane, Cagney, Whelan, Dermot Morgan, Olivia O'Leary, etc. etc.

Those talents are still out there, they are working in media and in local radio. RTE seem to be scared to promote or employ anybody from the outside, Partick Kielty is regarded as a major breakthrough in that he isn't in house. You only need to look at the success of Sarah McInerney or Tommy Tiernan in their roles to see that the talent can be found outside of NK.

There's an interview that's been up here a few times from 2011 about NK. Some people joined his stable as they felt they wouldn't get the breaks without him. So how does he wield so much influence? What makes RTE deal with him and only him? I can hazard a guess at the answer, but I'd probably be banned from the thread.

RTE need to grow balls. Tell them that the likes of Duffy is getting €150K next time out for 44 weeks work, or else he can sail off into the sunset. Same goes for a of of them. Knock 50% off their wages, down as far as €100K and see what they do. NK will blink first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I would expect that the routine payments to Tubridy would have come directly from Tubridy's company, and not through NK. This would mean that the invoices from NK should have gotten MORE scrutiny than any standard invoice. The lack of any procurement process to ensure value for money on any consultancy advice required should have a been a huge red flag for any CFO.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, and what one woukd think should be his best show is the funny Friday. It’s quite possibly the biggest pile a puke on any radio station anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Yeah. I understand the moral out cry.

But his wages have dropped significantly since he started on the LLS 30-40%

He also was part of the more recent 15% across the board drop. (included in the 30-40% above)

My issue is with RTE concocting the commercial agreement and underhandedly paying it out for no services provided.

That's not on tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,551 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Interesting read this, really serious issues clearly and money going to wrong people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Field east

Was listening to her this morning on radio. I never heard a TV presenter/reporter soooooo animated apart from that weather lady in Galway -and she had a very genuine reason. You would swear that she and who she represents were COMPLETE OUTSIDERS in all of this . I am 100% certain that there were a lot of rumours, half truths, etc, etc,etc flying around RTE over a good No of years. Emma talked about a raft of issues within RTE. Re low pay , very poor conditions, sexism , gender issues, severe shortage of equipment to do their work, etc, etc, etc, etc.

SO , where was ‘RTE Discovers’ in all of this . It was ALL under their bloody noses all of the time and they choose to ignore it. Also they did not need to go UNDERCOVER to investigate. And why did the staff do nothing about it. The staff could have had a sit down strike/ down tools at least if it was that bad . They waited until now to protest and about something else apparently

BUT , when a similar set of circumstances arise elsewhere in a private company/ body or public organisation the RTE journalists/reporters ‘GO TO TOWN on the individuals/organisation . Talking about a dog with a bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I am 100% sure you are referring to a youngish female correspondent on NT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yes but I would like to get them both in a room and see who pressured for the secret portions of pay and the barter account mechanism. RT pretended in the first statement that he knew nothing but I'd say he more involved than we know.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Those figures would also exclude large numbers of production staff, sound, lighting, camera, prod assistances who aren't on staff, and are engaged though agencies on a zero hours basis. You'd get a very different average if they were included.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't understand why they haven't removed the Ryan Tubridy name off the RTE website and the Spotify podcasts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Longing

How can the statues quo continue RTE in its current setup. Putting the undisclosed wages to one side now hearing using money of people of some who can barely pay for TV licence for piss up holidays and events is absolutely mind blowing. Remember it was not long ago when forbes was banging the drum for big increase in the TV licence. But like everything else in this country if the pressure gets to intense they will just do a FAS. Same scandal there just change the name and all is sweet has roses. Irish people need to wake up bring it to your local TD or peaceful demonstrations if we don't then we will be visiting same topic again in a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

funny Friday is a good show.

if you don’t find it good - then you are probably too young.

the show is not aimed at your demographic

They took a lot of actions from their mauling at the PAC, I imagine they are quite busy. Back in again next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE will have no choice but to cut all wages savagely with the future collapse in TV Tax compliance and sponsors running a mile from their toxic brand

No. I’m of the right age to be a decent judge. It’s putrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Joe Duffy and Claire Byrne never once had a discussion about RTE salaries on their programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

TBH

It's not RT's business how RTE deliver his salary demands.

He or NK make the demand. It's on RTE to deliver it or tell him to go and jump

No. matter what way this is spun, or who said what to whom.

RTE are 100% at fault here. Not tubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The next story that will break will be more revelations of what's going on in RTE. I know you would like this all to go away but sadly that won't be happening.

I must admit - I feel there is too much attention seeking going on here.

good way of describing it “a dog with a bone”

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭techman1

Emma O Kelly? I'd say definitely in the +100k bracket along with 118 other RTE employees excluding of course the super high earners on +250K

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’m going to be very careful and deliberate in my wording on this, so bear with me.

I now have the names of the people who were on the Japan trip. I can’t reveal how I have these - and I’m sure once again I’ll be accused of lying no doubt - but I have them, straight from the horses’ mouth (one of the people who was on the trip).

I can’t reveal them for obvious reasons but I can confirm they’re all people who work broadly in advertising and media sales, they’re not household names or public figures in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Sigma101

That's not on tubs.

I suggest you read the article by Gareth O'Callaghan that @gmisk posted just below your post:

"The greatest lesson I learned from Gay Byrne, who I worked closely with for three years in the 1990s, was that if you deceive your listeners who invite you into their lives every day, if you deliberately cause them to believe something that is not true, especially for personal gain, you will lose their trust and respect forever. If you rip off their belief and their faith by turning out not to be the bona fide, genuine person they always sought you out for, then you will no longer have a place in their lives."

Hold on, let's not forget RT knew his salary was being misreported year on year. You must ask questions on that even to make sure you aren't underpaid.

I remember those days too.

i think the evening line up was :

Fanning followed by whelan followed by Ryan and then after midnight it was Mike maloney (or mark cagney)

Tubs is at fault for a monumental lack of self-awareness as to how this would look.

RTE paid him the money…

Seems nothing illegal has been uncovered.

all the rest, so far is posturing. You’d swear public money in public bodies was never thrown around before, squandered, unaccounted for, mislaid the way some a the commentary is playing out.

it’s as old as the hills all this, in pretty much any country. Freebies, under the counter deals, nepotism, favouritism and so on

if a deep dive was conducted on all these public bodies and in all the public service the same would be unearthed.

people want change? Well, seems whole new legislations may be needed.

wake me up when the handcuffs are on RTE; otherwise it’s just box-ticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement